73 DINO - GT on BAT | FerrariChat

73 DINO - GT on BAT

Discussion in '206/246' started by Neelfryer, Jun 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    A lovely car and I hope Steven does very well.

Neelfryer likes this.
  2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The seller should do well.

It seems like a wrong time to shop for a Dino.

Matt

Neelfryer likes this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Respectfully disagree, I think that everyone is taking a beat here. Shipping charges from NZ will be murder.

4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
  5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Shipping will be less than 5% of the final auction bid. That’s hardly murder, my friend.

Matt

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Manslaughter?

Smiles likes this.
  7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    How would one ship?

Do they have humidity controlled containers?

It seems I have heard a container from China to the US went from $4000 to $20,000.

If that’s true, you would think a one time contract for a humidity controlled container from Auckland to the US would be pretty costly.

I would guess the US is the most likely destination.

Maybe Japan? Are Japanese folks still buying up collectibles like they did in the past?

And since I’m rambling here, let me just say that those Kiwi license plates are the coolest. The font, especially the “4” makes it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ likes this.
  8. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    I would not ship this Dino on a ship and a container, just my opinion. Air fright although expensive would be a better choice assuming it is coming back to the U.S. Last i heard you are looking at 30-40K . I also don't think Japanese are buying classic cars like they used to. Even Matsuda one of the biggest collectors with his own museum sold out most of the cars. I miss that place BTW.

UroTrash likes this.
  9. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    What a beautiful example! Best to the seller. It will be interesting to see where this car lands.

10. John Skevington

May 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    John William Skevington
    This is a really good, honest car. Any buyer will not be disappointed by it's originality.

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    usa spec car?
    fun fact: the distance across autralia is greater than the diameter of the moon.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While my experiences of shipping vintage cars internationally are mostly from 30+ years ago and pandemic related delays/issues notwithstanding, I would venture a guess thousands or more are shipped by ocean freight daily around the globe and I couldn’t see the cost of shipping something like the topic vehicle, depending on destination (but let’s say Europe or US) and (lack of) urgency would be more than few grand (misdemeanor ?).

While I’ve never heard of anyone one using “humidity controlled container” per se for shipping vintage cars via ocean freight, but have heard of some moisture absorbing materials having placed inside of them.
    Majority of ocean freight shippers specializing in (vintage) cars I’m familiar with usually place 2 or more vehicles inside each standard container, depending on its size, i.e. 20 ft. or 40 ft. length.

OTOH, if one is willing to spend proposed +/-5%, it just might be enough for air freight.

YMMV.

P.S. In nearly 4 decades involved with all this, I’ve always found it interesting that Americans in general are and have always been the biggest chicken little’s when it comes to buying, selling or shipping something internationally.

pshoejberg and UroTrash like this.
  13. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My buddy just imported a Jaguar D-Type replica from Tempero in NZ back in February. The cost in a closed sea container was $11.5K and included customs and handling fees plus trucking from Savannah, GA to Athen, GA. It was handled by Schumaker with no problems.

UroTrash likes this.
  14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While obviously somewhat different locations, direction and distance, last summer I sold a super nice, 2-owner, original condition, 18K mile, 36 year old full-size American car to a gentleman in AUS and he told me afterwards shipping it from L.A. to Sydney was around $3K-$4K in a container professionally handled and packed by an internationally recognized freight forwarding company specializing in this type of stuff.
    He had used them before for shipping several other collectible/vintage cars he'd bought from U.S. over the years and has always been happy with their services, but this one became a slightly more costly and frustrating due to pandemic related delays.

But like I mentioned, YMMV.

UroTrash likes this.