355 Gear display lights out on F1 | FerrariChat

355 Gear display lights out on F1

Discussion in '348/355' started by Riv, Jul 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Riv

Riv Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Poconos, Pa
    Some of the display lights are out -- ie 6th gear looks like 5th gear. I was told the display of the gears is part of the tach/speedometer unit and is a costly replacement -unconfirmed of course. If so no worries until they are all out and I can live with this for a while. Anyone ever have this issue with the F1's?

Riv

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Quite common---Call Steve Jones at Sportauto---He can fix it for you fairly cheap compared to new replacement parts--He has done many!!!
    www.sportauto.cc

I believe Daniel may be working with him to get this accomplshed --You may want to call Daniel also..
    www.ricambiamerica.com

3. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Steve did a great job on mine, great communication and quick work. Thanks! (Daniel can coordinate this too)

4. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Had mine redone at Ricambi and got it back a few days later. Didn't cost much at all (less than $200 I think) and has worked fine ever since. Got pretty darn annoying not knowing what gear I was in...

-R

5. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #5 gothspeed, Jul 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    :D ...................... the solution:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Oz your console looks like new!!!!!

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yes, I work with Steve on these. He is local to me, and since I can run credit cards pretty easily and handle the FedEx, many of the F1 displays run through Ricambi.

I have been to Steve's facility, and it's amazing. Like something from "24" there are a billion computers, sensors, circuit boards and stuff everywhere. Watching Steve get the chips soldering in is pretty interesting. There's NO WAY I'd suggest a 'layman' do it. If you're not highly experiences in EE and have the proper stuff, it'd be really easy to fry the components.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=261189

8. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Thanks man!! I have since replaced some of that console too :).

9. Riv

Riv Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Poconos, Pa
    Thanks everyone. I do not work on my own car so that link to Ricambi makes this look very easy. This coming winter I need to have some of the leather fixed on that display hood. I will be ok until then. It's nice to see there are some cheaper fixes for us guys who do not do their own work.

Many thanks

Riv

10. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Daniel---I have heard that Steve can also change the color of the display while it is out. Instead of the red--make it blue, green or yellow...Any truth to this??

11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    :D

12. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    Nope...not with the way Ferrari had DigiTek design the F1 controller. They had to have a special LED unit designed just for them. A part that should only cost 5 dollars at Radio Shack, is now well well above that thanks to Ferrari.

I have noticed that they seem to use reverse Polish notation on all their electronic designs. The 360 for example has the most over engineered dash lights I have ever seen. Way more complicated than it should be.

Steve

PS...Working with Daniel/Ricambi is by far the easiest for me. He can do credit cards and combine it with other parts on your order with him. We live within the same city so I get the displays quick and can get them repaired and shipped out within a few days.

13. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Darn---I thought a nice green hue would look great!! Keep up the good work Steve---How ya been anyway?? Haven't seen ya since the 328 purchase a few years ago..

14. Philipnz

Philipnz Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Whitianga New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Philip Hart
    When looking at 355's last month I noticed most had missing sectors, including the one I eventually purchased.

I did a lot of searching online and watched the YouTube video of the fix and then saw these on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153822386293

A local electronics wizz said he could do it and I'm happy to report the new display works perfectly on all gears and is bright and clear. All for $69nz and $10nz per LED (I bought 5 just to be safe)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Targatime likes this.
  15. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Is it not too bright at night? I replaced an LED in a switch and it was the wrong brightness and it was very distracting.

Why does the display have a red ring around it?

17. Philipnz

Philipnz Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Whitianga New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Philip Hart
    It looks
    Just like the old one. My iPhone held close picked up things that weren't visible to the naked eye in normal driving position. I guess you could always place a filter over the led if you felt it was too bright. Easier than making a dull led brighter

taz355 and Qavion like this.
  18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Nice find order a few as well

19. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  20. Philipnz

Philipnz Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Whitianga New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Philip Hart
    Yes, if it hadn't worked then I would have done that for sure, and who knows, maybe I still will have to :)

I don't mind the cost, it was more the shipping risk. Sometimes living at the bottom of the world is inconvenient to say the least

Qavion and WATSON like this.
  21. domibln

domibln Rookie

Mar 22, 2017
    So the original display is orange and not red? Because the link which you provided leads to an orange-colored display, however I was convinced all along that it was red