F8 - Full Time on Tender = Dead Batt? | FerrariChat

F8 Full Time on Tender = Dead Batt?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Bigbobo, Jun 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bigbobo

Bigbobo Karting

Jul 25, 2020
    Northern CA
    So the situation is that I did not drive our new 2022 F8 for 2 weeks and when I went to start it, it would not start. It turned on but would not crank. After a few different tries, I tried to start it from being off to just starting without letting power up first. Meaning that most of the time I let the car power up first by a light press of the start button. Then wait 10 seconds then press the start button all the way to start the car. That did the trick but it threw 6 or 7 different errors that all went away with subsequent starts.

So my question is should the factory tender be charging the battery? Preventing this from happening? The car has been on the tender at all times and the light has been green. So I was assuming that the tender was keeping the battery toped off. It is disappointing that a new car with the battery passing inspection as being 'excellent' has failed so quickly.

2. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    First I would go in and have the battery tested.

Second, if this is your first Ferrari here is the recommended starting sequence:

1. Press red button “lightly” allow the car to cycle through the electronics. The lights on the dash will then go out and then press the red button again to start the engine.
    2. Wait for the yellow engine light to go off before putting the car in gear and driving.

Do this every time.

3. Bigbobo

Bigbobo Karting

Jul 25, 2020
    Northern CA
    This is what I did when the car would not start. I tried it 3 or 4 times. Each time letting the car cycle through the electronics and then pushing the button again and it would not start. So I just tried to start it without waiting and that worked.

4. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Familiar story, same for me, just in 2021.

My battery had failing cells, so just got worse and worse, until I didn't want it anymore. Failed starts, recovered twice, supposedly checked and with a clean bill of health from dealer.

Try and get them to replace with a better quality, higher rated battery like an Odyssey. My dealer was supposed to do this, but never got round to it.

Caeruleus11 and Chizz like this.
  5. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Definite first move is to replace the factory battery before taking delivery.

I agree with the sequence @Chizz. I started mine with my door open Saturday and may have put her in gear before the engine icon disappeared but then it did a few seconds later. Only to get the icon to reappear 5 min later in my drive along with the ‘Engine Control System Failure-Return to Dealer’ message and a second engine icon. I pulled over and turned the engine off and restarted in the correct sequence. Everything reset but came back a couple minutes later. I then pulled over, shut everything down, exited and locked the car, then started the correct process all over again and it worked fine from then on.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Chizz likes this.
  6. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    It seems to avoid this problem is to replace the battery before taking delivery. I think cars are stuck at stage 90 for months without being started or on a tender that it kills the battery. I’m at stage 90 with my F8 and wondering if changing the battery before delivery will be covered by the warranty. And how many owners have had no problems with their factory battery since taking delivery?

7. Bigbobo

Bigbobo Karting

Jul 25, 2020
    Northern CA
    Any idea how much a new factory battery is? My dealer was not very keen on replacing it as it tested 'excellent' in their words.

SognoF8 likes this.
  8. LagunaSecaMike

Dec 27, 2014
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My story is a little different, but I only use the Ferrari battery maintainer sometimes. I bought a CPO 2016 488 GTB with 5,000 miles from the San Francisco Ferrari, in May of 2021. The dealer installed a new Odyssey battery(the battery was about about a month old). I used the Ferrari battery maintainer almost all the time the car was not in use. This May, about a year after owing the car and about 3,000 miles of driving, I drove down to my vacation home (75 miles away). I parked the car in the garage. The next morning the battery was dead. The car would barely turn on and it would not crank. I did not have jumper cables and I had to go to an event with a friend. I did have a Battery Tender brand charger and connected it directly to the battery with alligators clips. I also have a video camera in my garage which I pointed at the charger. I left the car on the charger and my friend drove me back home. The next day, I returned with a SuperStart branded AGM battery. I have been using the same battery and size in my Corvette for the past year and other cars and they work great. When I returned to 488, I took it off the battery charger(which completed its cycle) and the car started fine, but with a bunch of warning lights. I restarted it a few times and the warning lights went out. For lack of a better idea, I swapped out the battery since I already bought it. I drove the Ferrari home and brought the Odyssey battery back to the parts store for the core charge. I had them load test it right in front of me and it tested good.

So I now use the Ferrari branded (Ctek)maintainer every few days after the car sits idle and then take it off when it is all lit up. I do not use it all the time the car is parked. I also have Ctek MXS 5.0 that I use on my Corvette. Same process there. I do not use the battery maintainers all the time, I only use it to top off the battery for about 1 day.

I now keep an auto booster pack in the Ferrari. If I have to jump start it, next time I can do it without another car or jumper cables. In retrospect, If I had the boost charger, I would have kept the Odyssey battery and just chalked it up to a glitch, because I could have easily jumpstarted on the road. After reading all the threads on batteries, it seems like a booster pack or jumper cables are our only options. Once you jump start car, I would drive it for 10-20 minutes then put it on the maintainer to top it off. My Battery Tender was able to bring my battery up to full charge, so it was above the 3 volt minimum. I do not keep booster pack in any of my other cars, but they all get driven daily or at least every other day. I do think Ferraris are finicky(like most exotics) and letting them sit a lot seems to make the problem worse.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SognoF8, Caeruleus11 and Chizz like this.
  9. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    any similar size AGM. It sounds odd, but walmart has the cheapest prices and best replacement warranty of any of them. At the end of the day, they all come from a handful of factories and get relabeled to whomever is the retailer.

SognoF8 likes this.
  10. LagunaSecaMike

Dec 27, 2014
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The 488GTB uses a common size 48 H6. I don't know what size the F8 uses. I would recommend using a locally sourced AGM battery unless your particular car has to register the battery to the computer(I don't now if Ferrari does this) or is a factory lithium battery(Pista). As I said in my post above, if the battery is relatively new, I would jumpstart the car with a booster pack and wait for the problem to occur a second time before replacement. Also, at the auto parts store, the batteries have a sticker that says the month on them. I would assume that is when it is made.

SognoF8 likes this.
  11. LagunaSecaMike

Dec 27, 2014
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #11 LagunaSecaMike, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    I can't find the F8 battery listed in the local auto parts lookups. The 488 GTB takes a size 48 H6 which is about $225-$250 for an AGM battery. I would not replace it unless the problem happens a second time. The catch is this is not confidence inspiring to drive the car with a chance of getting stranded. Hence carrying a boost pack until the second failure which may not occur.

SognoF8 likes this.
  12. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

That this is even an issue in 2022, on a high-end exotic car is patently absurd. Waiting for my 3 month old F8 battery to fail and leave me stranded at the soft-serve just as my 488 did. I carry a booster pack because the battery will inevitably fail despite keeping it on a battery conditioner/float charger 24/7.

Ash Patel, Napoli, SognoF8 and 5 others like this.
  13. LagunaSecaMike

Dec 27, 2014
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree with you. It's ridiculous to carry a boost pack for a high end exotic. But my point is not to use the battery maintainer all the time. IMHO, I use it maybe once a week for a day, if you drive the car at least once a week and that should be sufficient.

So the question is, how many people use their battery maintainer all the time and still have a no start problem? I was one of those people.

Chizz, SognoF8 and Viperjoe like this.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wow. Sounds like starting an old school English POS. Do this, pump that, click this, get angry and stomp off because you flooded the damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Napoli, SognoF8, Jaguar36 and 4 others like this.
  15. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    SognoF8 likes this.
  16. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Lol!!

Viperjoe and Texas Forever like this.
  17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ahh I laugh at the dealer telling you the battery is excellent. Fact is it isn't.

IMO regardless what the dealer says change the battery. They might not take the tab but do it. Stretched out deliveries without being on the tender crates bad cells in the battery. They will fail prematurely and at the worst time.

1) change the battery
    2) get a starter. Make sure it has reverse polarity protection AND no spark connection. Cheap units dont have these 2 features.

Caeruleus11, SognoF8, xBox and 3 others like this.
  18. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/ag-h6-rs/

MANDALAY likes this.
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Not available in Australia. But any battery will do as long as it is new and always on the tender.

I also had the same issues and quickly learned. Forced Ferrari to put a new battery in after 6 months regardless of them telling me that the battery was excellent and whether they would pay for it.

They did at their cost and now 3.5 years no issues.

Rexcat458, Chizz and Shorn355 like this.
  20. Bigbobo

Bigbobo Karting

Jul 25, 2020
    Northern CA
    Well we were just left stranded at the gas station. Not a fun Father’s Day to sat the least. Thanks to you all we did by a jump back. The bad news is that I left it at home. Good news was our daughter was driving her jeep with us so she just went home and got the jump pack. I guess I will be replacing the battery today. It’s a bit sad that a 420k car has a battery failure within 5 months of ownership and being on the tender 100% of the time when not driven.

Ash Patel, SognoF8, italiafan and 4 others like this.
  21. Bkclients

Bkclients Karting

Nov 30, 2010
    This is absurd and Ferrari should have some sort of warranty on these defective batteries!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SognoF8, AD211 and Viperjoe like this.
  22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

One of the very few predictions that a crystal ball is not needed. Bitten once twice shy . So keep the jump starter in your car.

Can I point out thats why I stated a jump starter that WILL NOT SPARK. Being at the gas station I wouldn't want any sparks if you know what I mean.;)

SognoF8 likes this.
  23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Is there a brand / model your recommend?
    T

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I have the Noco. There are many others at cheaper prices but this one had what I wanted. Bigger jaws and cable gauge with the no spark and reverse protection feature.

And then I found a great carry box on E-Bay.

Rexcat458, SognoF8, AD211 and 3 others like this.
  25. StevenF8

StevenF8 Karting

Feb 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven
    How long would it take to jump start a dead battery with one of these portable jump packs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk