Grigio Alloy 360 Modena | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Grigio Alloy 360 Modena

Discussion in '360/430' started by Texas Turbo, Oct 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Beautiful car.

Enjoy as often a possible.

They are so much fun and make EVERYONE smile!!!!

2. Texas Turbo

Texas Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    FChat, thanks again for the welcome. Without this awesome group of enthusiasts I would have never had the courage or confidence to buy and drive a 10 year old exotic like this. Y'all are awesome!

Now, this is news to be about second gear... what about "not using" until the oil warms up? Does that mean first only?? (surely not) Does it mean "skip 2nd and go directly to 3rd?"

I certainly know not to flog a cold car, just curious as to why 2nd is being called out.

Thanks again (and again and again... so stoked to finally be a "member" of the FChat club!)

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Let the car warm up and/or shift from 1st to 3rd while the car is cold. Give it a couple of minutes and it will easily go into 2nd.

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Yup- what he said. I drive the car easy- while odd going only 3K or so in 1st then putting the car into 3rd and giving the revs a moment to slow down/match up before releasing the clutch (since you're skipping 2nd) makes me look like a granny driving...but where I live I only need to do that at a stop sign and a couple of lights, most of the warm up is me driving reasonable revs in 3rd/4th/5th gear. The stiff cold 2nd gear shift is kind of just a quirk of the 430/360/355/348/328/308. Some people say the cold 2nd shift can be decreased with use of other gearbox oils, but for me not worth the effort to use non-OEM stuff.

5. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Got it. Thank you, gentlemen.

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I drove mine this morning to CrossFit temperature was 45 degree temperature was 45 degrees af after letting it warm for 5 minutes I drove off and my car goes to second gear with no problems

My 348 never had an issue with second gear when cold

7. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Beautiful car, and thanks for sharing. I love the color and the challenge grill on back. It does something (contrast) for that car and color that I don't get from my Titanium car without it.

8. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I agree!

Plus, any extra ventilation help you can add the better. Even a little is better than none. IMO

9. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #34 jjsaustin, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is a beautiful car. I was able to see it at the last breakfast meeting.

Curtis, Are you going to be on the lake this weekend? We will probably be out there Saturday morning. Trying to get a few more outings on our new boat before it gets too cold...

-Jim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nice, Jim. Congrats on the boat, she looks great! We're tied up this weekend but lets get together for a drive or surf soon ;^)

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Looks awesome - manuals are far and few between too! Can you tell us the serial number?

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #37 134282, Oct 11, 2012
  13. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I think you're right!!! Cool!

14. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Stunning!

I have never seen the race seats in daytona style before. Best of both types!

15. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    congratulations

16. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    #41 Texas Turbo, Jan 11, 2013
    Some details and updates:

1st project: I got two extra fobs (one red and one black... Euro version) from Gobble. Thanks SO very much. I feel like I can "sleep at night" now, however I still am deciding on what to do about spare keys. I think I'd like to find a nice Ferrari key (rather than FIAT) but I want to make sure I get the right one so I'm still undecided on my path there. Regardless, Gobble was awesome to work with and very supportive through the process. I give him my highest recommendation.

2nd project: Bluetooth solution thanks to Curt (aka vrsurgeon). As usual, Curt was very helpful and this solution has been in my car for a month or two. SUPER simple upgrade (two parts off ebay, $45 and 10 minutes) and it makes a world of difference. My car has a big aftermarket stereo and this solution is perfect for me. I'll probably never use the radio or cd player again... if I am listening to music it is all iPhone all the time. Thanks again for your help with this, Curt!

Finally, I put some more miles on the car (crested 15,000) and have been able to get a few more pictures that show off the beautiful interior. The wife and I have been to a few Ferrari club events in town and she is now asking me why I waited so long to pull the trigger! Well, at least I'm not wasting time now and driving it whenever/wherever I feel like it. I'm still thrilled as the day it was delivered... and now I'm getting to know the car and starting to push myself and the car a little bit more with each drive. Good times!

Thanks again to all the great members on the board who make this section a fabulous resource and entertaining pit-stop.

17. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    #42 Texas Turbo, Nov 3, 2013
    Just over a year ago I bought my first Ferrari and started this thread. I thought it was appropriate to keep it updated in the same spot. Below is a quick overview of my first year of thoughts and expenses.

General thoughts... I have to say it was everything I expected and more. The driving experience is so fun and the ghost of Enzo can be felt everywhere. My car has no cats and a tubi exhaust so it is pretty loud. 8.5K rpm in second gear makes for a great tunnel or highway underpass symphony. Man these engines are special. It is my second favorite thing in the world to do!

I am at 16,925 now and put about 3400 miles on the car in the first year. Not bad, but I had hoped I could do more. I want to do at least 5K miles this coming year, ideally closer to 10K. I feel that I've developed a good feel for how and where I can drive my car, and where I'm comfortable leaving it for a while without worrying about theft or parking lot incidents like scrapes and door dings. I drive mine to work, the grocery store, and anywhere else I feel comfortable with the parking situation. Getting groceries in a Ferrari is just more fun!

There were two unexpected expenses. My driver's window came off the tracks, which was an easy fix by my mechanic for a few hours of labor. I also replaced the transmission oil cooler, which was a $900 part and 7 hours of labor. Other than than, nothing but two annual services averaging $1,200 for last year and the one I just performed for the next 12 months.

I did a few DIY projects along the way as well.

Extra keys and Fobs
    Bluetooth solution mentioned above... don't use it much but nice to have
    De-sticky'd the interior window and A/C controls
    Yoshi Shields to replace the ugly "gummy" shields that were on my car when I got it

I have a number of new projects on my list but I'll have to get to them as time allows. My next project is going to be tied to a 3000 mile goal, that should get me driving it even more.

Finally, I just bought some new Bridgestone Potenza S-04's and I'm still breaking them in so I'll have to report back later. That said, I like them so far.

Thanks again to the FerrariChat community (and this 360/430 board in particular) for all the wisdom, experience and daily entertainment. It is an incredible resource and a fun place to learn about our shared passion.

Cheers.

A few iphone pics from today:

18. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I think that silver shows off the beautiful lines of the 360 better than any other color. Congrats.
    Alan

19. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Updating this thread for whomever may own this car one day… hopefully many, many years from now!!!

Approaching my 19th year on Ferrarichat and the 10 year anniversary of owning this car; it is funny to go back and read my thoughts on the car when I bought it and compare to how I feel now. Good news, I feel even stronger about it now than then and am confident I’ll own it until I die or can’t drive it anymore. Hopefully I’ve got many decades more fun ahead of me with this one. Currently at 23,157 miles the car is barely averaging 1K per year.

When I bought this car it was to replace my former dream car… a nicely built 930 turbo Porsche. (In hindsight of course I never should have sold the 930 for a 360… but I should have bought more Tesla, Amazon and Apple stock back then as well.) The point is, when I bought this car 10 years ago I could only justify one “play car” and I wanted / needed my 360 to be an “Experience” every time I took it out for a cruise. Much like the 930 provided me but adding that classic Ferrari Gated Shifter that always defined “gentleman’s sports car” in my mind.

10 years later, while a number of cars/boats/motorcycles have come and gone, the 360 has earned a “forever” spot in my garage. So when about a year ago my detailer pulled the old yellowing wrap from my 360 that inevitably peeled the original paint, I finally did what I said I wanted to do 10 years ago and decided to put on the CS kit and do anything and everything I thought this car needed to fit my vision of a “gentleman’s weekend 6-Speed” Ferrari.

To be clear, I wasn’t tying to build a CS replica. I’m also not trying to beat Trev’s lap times and I’m not trying to keep up with the modern cars either. Shoot, my DD is a 740 hp Saleen 4x4 F150 that destroys my 360 in a straight line (up to about 150 or wherever the truck tops out) and my Cali T runs circles around the 360 when it comes to pure statistics. Now I’m looking at adding an SF90 so the performance bar has gone through the roof compared to a car like the 360 built in 2000. This particular car for me has been a labor of love and not about performance. For me this was about a mission to maximize the experience of “click-clacking” the gated shifter while listening to that amazing flat plane crank engine scream while I slice my way through town early in the am or late at night when nobody else is on the road.

After picking up my car today I’m happy to report that I freaking LOVE the experience of my 360 more than ever. It is the perfect car to jump into for a 30 minute old school adrenalin rush. I have a 20 mile loop from my house that includes some of the best driving roads in Austin, a few great on/off-ramps where I can drift the car through the apexes when pulling hard through 2nd gear, as well as some long tunnels and underpasses where the catless tubi exhaust at 8,500 rpm sounds like an old school F1 car screaming through the tunnel in Monaco. Mission Accomplished :)

Here is the latest round of work, at this point I think I’m probably done with this car other than a big brake kit.

Genuine CS bumpers and sides from Eurospares, paint, PPF, new leather dash (with metal vents thanks to forum member Rizzo308 in Australia), Novitec wheels 19 x 9 front and 19 x 12.5 rear (thanks to forum member Auraraptor), Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 255/30ZR19 front 355/30ZR19 rear, and all the usual annual services and anything else that it needed (like an a/c charge… critical here in TX in the summer).

Here's a few iphone snapshots I took tonight. Thanks as always to the forum members for help and support. This community has helped with a ton of projects on this car and certainly inspired me along the way as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

67bmer, E60 M5, BDM348 and 2 others like this.
  20. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
  21. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, means a lot coming from you, Josh! Tons of respect for the work you've done. Your 360 is one of the great cars on our forum for sure.

clean512 likes this.
  22. mb5

mb5 Karting

Nov 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hey @Texas Turbo you mentioned running 355/30ZR19 rear tires on your NF2s. I believe I have the exact same wheel, currently with 345/30ZR19, but picked up a flat and am unable to get replacements bc they’re on backorder.

I wanted to double check that wasn’t a typo, and see if you or anyone knows whether there is indeed only one size of NF2 wheel, and if both sized tires fit it. It would be great to get back on the road!

23. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Correct... not a typo. the 355s DO fit.

mb5 likes this.
  24. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for the update, beautiful car.

25. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    It must be refreshing to look back and think about how well you did something after all these years and have the opposite feeling of regret!!