Grill color | FerrariChat

Grill color

Discussion in '308/328' started by wildrnesxperienc, Jun 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi all- I have seen silver grills and black grills on 308’s. Which is correct or were both offered from the factory?

2. JTT

JTT Karting

Jun 16, 2020
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    J Taylor
    Mine is silver on a 78.

3. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    I guess I should rephrase that- I know the silver is correct, were there black grills from the factory as well?

4. eurocarguy101

eurocarguy101 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2015
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jefferson Wheeler
  5. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any reason to think somebody might’ve painted it along the way?

6. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    I could be wrong, but my impression is that Euro-bumper cars have silver (bare metal) grills, and US-bumper cars have black (painted) grills. It makes sense that they would attempt to de-emphasize the larger size of the USA-spec 5mph bumper by making the grill the same color. That logic carries through to making the front fender and hood louvers black as well. On Euro cars, those are all body-colored. I guess it's like a woman with a prominent nose wearing heavy eye make-up to make her schnoz look a little smaller. (For the record, I got nothin' against a proper Roman schnoz. Rock it if you got it, Girl!)

7. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    I’ve looked at two 308’s the last few weeks, both had silver grills, and both were US cars. The car I’m looking at now has a black grill and I am curious if it came that way or was painted.

8. eurocarguy101

eurocarguy101 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2015
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jefferson Wheeler
    No, it’s been in the family since 92 and has been this way the entire time. It was all original when we got it to the best of my knowledge.

wildrnesxperienc likes this.
  9. eurocarguy101

eurocarguy101 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2015
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jefferson Wheeler
    Were they carb cars?

10. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    One was a carb car and one was an 83 QV. I drove an 82 GTSi as well that also had a silver grill.

11. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've continued looking and I'm convinced they came in silver as well as black from the factory. The one I'm looking at the current owner has owned for about 13 years or so and it was black when they purchased it as well. Thanks for your input!

eurocarguy101 likes this.
  12. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    Odd. I was just looking through my photos from the last Concorso Italiano that I attended (a few years back now) -- of the 8(!) red USA-spec 308 QV's present, they ALL had black grills. That isn't to say they're all that way. With the opportunity to check out 30+ 308s parked next to each other, my take away is that virtually nothing is 100% consistent with these cars. They kind of like snowflakes...

13. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha! Well that’s further evidence that black or silver are both legit!

14. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Don't forget that some owners choose to paint their silver grills black. Be careful with your assumptions.

GatorFL likes this.
  15. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes that was the reason for the post. Do you think all black grills were painted after sale?

16. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    No, some grills really did come black originally. There was an older thread where this same question was discussed. If you search on "grill" or "black grill" you may find it. IIRC, that thread did indicate there were certain years and/or certain markets where the car received a black grill vs silver.

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The grills aren't painted black..............they are black anodized.

GatorFL likes this.
  18. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay well that should tell you when you see a car in person I would think. If the grill is anodized surely it came that way.

19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When I converted my US bumper/grill to the Euro style, I had the chance to use the original sliver color grill but instead, I chose the black grill just to match the from fender louvers and the front and rear hood louvers plus the chrome Horsey stands out a lot more. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  20. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    In USA market 2v cars had silver grille and 4v cars had black grille.

GatorFL likes this.
  21. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I just consulted my "Original Ferrari V8" book by Bluemel, and he says that all US market 308s up to and including the QV had black grills, and all non-US ones had silver grills. Starting with the 328, all cars had silver grills regardless of market.

22. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    My 78 308 GTS US has always had a silver anodized grill. I bought it in 80 and had a picture of it right off the show room floor and the grill was and is silver.

23. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Well Mr. Bluemel appears to be in error....again.

24. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    it looks fantastic!

25. wildrnesxperienc

Apr 9, 2022
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah all 3 of the 308s I've looked at the last month had silver grills. All US cars- one carb, one GTSi, and one QV. So that book is indeed incorrect.