Ferrari Announces LMH Factory Program! | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Announces LMH Factory Program!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by chrixxx, Feb 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    A turbo V6 is far lighter and more fuel efficient than any NA V12, and far easier to package as well.

Most LMH or LMDH designers will go for that solution for these reasons, I guess.

4. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Some family resemblance but still more differences than similarities.

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The engine block is NOT the culprit of the weight. All the unnecessary batteries and electronics are. The F1 V10’s were amazingly light and could be even lighter today.

ingegnere likes this.
  6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    True, the Mercedes V10 from 1998 just weighted 98kgs !
    Imagine in 2022.
    But you can't have this kind of rational discussion today because Electrification is the new ideology even if it's heavier, more expensive and in the end more polluting ..

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am talking only about the ICE engine.
    A V6 block can be stress bearing in the chassis, but that's far more difficult with a V12.
    The multiplication of cylinder was chosen in the past in the quest for higher power because of lighter parts allowing higher revs.
    In a turbo engine, more power is simply achieved by higher boost, and the number of cylinders becomes less significant.

8. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    In a way, the final version of Ferrari V12 from 1995 was also very impressive. It weighted only 119 kg. Mercedes V10 was heavier back then with 120 kg. Generally other V10's and Ford V8 weighted on average around 130 kg. The lightest V10 from 1995 was, however, a surprise: Hart V10 with only 110 kg.

Above data is from Enrico Benzing's book Dall'aerodynamica alla Potenza in Formula 1.

While not necessarily the ultimate truth, it is by far the most reliable source of F1 engine data I have ever seen. Data is very consistent and lists "all" F1 engines from 1947 to 2004. If you can get a copy somewhere, you will be surprised to find out how much technical details it has on every engine. Certainly a work of passionate engineer/author.

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    None of this is a convincing reason not to use v12. They can and should. It’s “more difficult” to make one block load bearing than the other? So what. They can and have done them both fine.

10. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    You only need to look at 2022 24 Hours of Le Mans results. Top 50 all V6s apart from a handful of V8s. Sadly the days of V12s winning at that level are gone. The top 2 were V6 twin Turbo with electrification and under 1050kgs. If Ferrari can make a 24hr endurance racing version to the amazing V6 in the 296. They could take it all.

william and crinoid like this.
  11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I’m not saying the V12 is the fastest. I’m saying it’s the best. I’m totally cool if Ferrari win with a TV6.

Bas and jpalmito like this.
  12. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I would love to hear a V12 roar down those straights but those are days gone by now :(. Jim is final going to have to go toe to toe with them, looking forward to that.

9nb and crinoid like this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The V12 is kept only for emotional reason, not because it is technically superior.

Those truly interested in engine efficiency would not go down that road.

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Indeed,
    Do emotions have to prevail?

15. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    hoping there is a netflix series on it! would be so much fun if Jim won!

lambchop and 9nb like this.
  16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    In some aspects it is absolutely technically superior. If I recall the V12 has twice the moving parts as a V8 even though it only has 4 more cylinders. Also many would say it’s driving experience is superior having characteristics specific to a v12. Again I really like the TV6 and can’t wait to see it race however if we’re simply talking then here it is.

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #218 DeSoto, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    It doesn´t matter what is superior, in the end everything is BOPed. The same BOP that would help to avoid the shortcomings of the V12 would play down its advantages, so what´s the point of trying to swim against the current when the rules emphasize efficiency and so on.

If this was some sort of Can Am, something about brute force no matter what, maybe a turbo V12 would make sense, but that´s not the case.

crinoid and Nembo1777 like this.
  18. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I actual want to see Ferrari whip his A$$. I had a lot of respect for him and what he was doing but as time has gone on I have felt he has created a lot of toxicity IMO. That said I do know I am not the only one that has seen and feels this either which is sad. Ferrari have an brand new amazing V6 in the 296. If they turn that into a 3.5L TT endurance racing engine, I think they will be hard to stop. oh batteries and all of course.

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    The Porsche LMDh will be presented tomorrow. A possible leak:

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    It would be even more fun if Ferrari won!

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Hell yes!!! Forget about Jim from New York.

polishhammer83 and 4re4ever like this.
  22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas