My BMW 507 project | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My BMW 507 project

Discussion in 'Other German' started by A12pilot, Jun 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow! Thank you! I don’t know though….Over 40 and still Hot!! is a pretty good one!:p

I do appreciate the compliments. I hope to have the unibody fabrication done by the end of the year!

cheers
    Dave

tritone likes this.
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    update please :)

3. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the interest! After a move and a side project that got into the way, I'm starting back into the 507 with frame mock up starting this week!

I moved the body buck back inside the shop and will be updating the thread with pics in a few days. More to come....

Cheers
    Dave

Attached Files:

mcimino, ChipG, sainthoo and 5 others like this.
  4. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Such a cool build!

5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James

Attached Files:

peterp and mcimino like this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    (sorry, could not lose the xtra images!!!!!)

7. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh man....I should! Even the estimate is crazy, but I guess with it being the real deal, kind of priceless.

More delays due to construction on an in-law-suite and dealing with incompetent subs. Anyway, more soon. I promise!!

Cheers
    Dave

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Cheaper to make a deal with the eventual buyer to have it 3-D scanned!
    I seem to recall your build is going with different materials anyway?

9. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, and I already have the front and rear sections done. Still fine tuning to do, of course. I also have the trim work 3D scanned as well. Still would be a nice thing to have!

Cheers
    Dave

tritone likes this.
  10. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Forward progress! The body skins are laid out and I've joined up the halves with temporary rockers to get the door openings and wheel base correct. The 507's wheel base is 97.6" and I'm at 97.75, so I'm pretty much right there.

Now I'll position the wheels and figure out the track with front and back so I can then start ordering parts for the frame.

More to come...

Cheers
    Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, tritone, BJK and 2 others like this.
  11. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had two tires mounted and they are the same that I've seen on many 507s, reproduction Michelin 185R - 16 radials. I just had then put on the rim and aired up so I could set them in the wells to get the track width down. I'll take them off when I'm ready to get the wheels powder coated.

Frame steel here so I'll start fabricating the frame this weekend after careful measurements and layout. Front and rear suspension set ups are on the way too!

More to come...

Cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, BJK and tritone like this.
  12. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Some progress made over the last few days. I have the frame laid out but nothing welded yet. Some parts are close to the factory frame while there's a few tweaks to make it stronger of my own design. It'll be rigid for sure. Also fabricated the upper firewall. This mimics the 507. Still a little more to do.

Suspension comes tomorrow so I'll start on that over the weekend. Starting to take shape!

Cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

BJK, Jaguar36, ChipG and 2 others like this.
  13. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A couple tweaks to the heater box so it replicated the original a little better, and I boxed it in with the toe boards. My whole front end got here safely except the one piece I need to weld things up: the crossmember. Should show up today! Lots of measurements and such to get the frame rails up here level, parallel, and square. Tons of notes and measurements!

Once I get things all lined up I'll tack weld it in place and complete the rest of the mock up ensuring squarity (squarity?). After that, I'll weld it up into a solid frame!

More to come....

Cheers
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK, tritone and Tenney like this.
  14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Looking forward to plenty of "squarity" :D

Fortunately for me, playing with 50-year old mahogany boats, "squarity" is not so much of an issue......"curvity" is better.....

BJK likes this.
  15. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    One of the projects I really want to do is build or restore a 30s Chris Craft barrel back. What floating art those are. There's a BMW 507ish boat out there too!

Lots of measurements and I've got a front end mocked up. Now to break it all down and weld it solid. After that I'll join it to the side rails.

Moving forward!!

Cheers
    Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone, BJK and Tenney like this.
  16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Post #32.....:D

17. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ah, you're right. Forgot about that!

So, I know the owner of that Blue car. He owns three in his family. A black one that sold at Hersey last year and he sent me photos of this one when I first met him. I visited his third one being restored and got a lot of photos in it's skeleton state. We've been emailing back and forth and he's really excited to see the progress on mine. I'm excited to see it go to auction. I'm headed up to Philly next month to visit the car again and maybe I'll get a chance to sit in the blue one before it goes.

I'm about halfway through the frame build!

Cheers
    Dave

BJK and tritone like this.
  18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Dave, Just found you and the great project!
    Keep up the great work, and kudos!

Regards, Alberto

19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    BJK likes this.
  20. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's the factory color called Silver Gray. A stunning combo. I've gone back and forth with a few colors but always seem to come back to Papyrus or Feather White (basically, white) with a dark blue interior and top. The other combos I've thought about were the Silver Gray with tan like this one posted, Graphite Metallic with red interior, or a Corvette color Silver Blue with a dark blue interior too. Everytime I come across a car color that appeals to me I write the make and model down then Google the color. I write that down for any future car I may build. There's some nice colors out there. I like Atlas Gray, a Porsche color too.

I fabricated up the rear axle 4-link and everything is welded up! Mounting it on the rotisserie and will flip it over to get the final welding done along with smoothing. There's a lot more involved to setting up suspension than I had thought but man it's fun to figure out. A while different realm of car stuff to figure out.

More to come...

Cheers
    Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Your color choices all sound good! (no reds)
    We specced our Audi S4 in Atlas Gray back in ‘06! Great color.
    Can’t go wrong with white/navy tho……
    Finish up with this car; I need you to build me one as soon as I win the lottery!:D

22. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ha! Right! I might build another, but I gotta get through this one first!

I got the frame on the rotisserie to finish the welds underneath. Later this week I'll smooth everything over and my rear coil over mounts come in so those will get welded on. Once everything is smooth, back on the ground it goes and I'll start in with firewall, floor pans, trunk, position the seat, steering column, and pedal quadrant. The motor and transmission should be here at the end of the month and I'll get that mocked up too

Moving right along!

Cheers
    Dave

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone and BJK like this.
  23. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Nice progress! Looks great so far. Sorry if I missed it, what are you using for a drivetrain?

24. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thank you! No, you didn't miss it. It's changed several times and I've finally decided on a 63 Buick 215 aluminum V8.... Eerily similar to the factory 507 engine. Matted to a T5 with the S-10 tail housing. I've got a 2x2 intake and will mount the generator at the 12 o'clock position along with other mods to make it asthetically similar to the factory 507 engine. I'll start that mock up at the end of the month.

Cheers
    Dave

tritone, BJK and Jaguar36 like this.