488 Ownership in Aus | FerrariChat

488 Ownership in Aus

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LINO28, Jun 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LINO28

LINO28 Rookie

Jun 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Tye Lino
    Hi All,

Im doing some pre-planning for a 488 purchase in the next 12-18 months in time to reward myself for my 40th Birthday.
    I would be interested to know some real, Australian, running/servicing costs for a 488 so i can ensure i have all of my costs understood before i take the plunge. I have already sourced some insurance quotes based on my circumstances.
    Also if there have been any other unexpected expenses you have incurred during ownership of a similar vehicle.
    Im looking at a 488 with around the 15,000km mark, will be driven a couple of times a week.

I always hear the 'if your worried about running costs, you shouldn't buy a XXXX' argument but i don't walk into anything without knowing as much of the picture as i can.
    I wasn't gifted or had an inheritance given to me so this is not an easy buy for myself, but its one that i want to do as i have my other financial goals all ticked off.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

2. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I don't think ownership experience (cost) varies too much from model to model. If you're happy to spend $20k on an unexpected repair, then you won't have a problem. Then there is depreciation to think about too...

Maranello550 likes this.
  3. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Have you owned a bmw? My experience is owning a ferrari is the same or cheaper than a bmw
    Both assuming used

They are pretty realiable
    But things can happen
    As above
    If you are ok with perhaps a big expense at some point then your good to go
    If you think cars are a waste of money and dont believe in PM then i would re consider

4. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Turbos have been an issue here n there,
    If you can get extended warranty that’s a good investment, alternatively a 458 no turbos to worry about, excellent example same money

5. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^^^^

If you're not willing to look after it then forget it

6. LINO28

LINO28 Rookie

Jun 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Tye Lino
    Thanks for the replies guys.

We have only owned new BMW's and change them at 4 years so i don't have a handle on 5-10 year old vehicle costs.

Depreciation im all good with.

Im all for maintenance on my cars and boat and have a history of going beyond what is recommended. That's sort of why i asked the question about real running costs, so i could work from that point and go up.

This will be my first Luxury/Exotic so i just don't have a base to work from (cost wise)

Cheers,

7. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    good luck mate, hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine ............ I enjoy just sitting in the stupid thing :)

They are all gorgeous ....... except for the 348, made worse by ugly owners :p

Maranello550 likes this.
  8. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  9. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I think you should factor in Insurance costs as well,,
    Can’t be cheap on a 488..

Arvin Grajau likes this.
  10. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    He did
    Re read the original post

11. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    My bad, I was reading the original post on my phone and replied on my iPad,,
    Time for Specsavers:D

Maranello550 and Arvin Grajau like this.
  12. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    Here is the answer. Depending on the year it will be under the 7 year free maintenance so service will cost you nothing.
    If the owner or dealer or private owner you buy it off has the extended warranty then you will be fine.
    If not you need to get that done through the dealer for around $16K(covers 2 years). Best you do this as a safe peace of mind.
    If not then you may be up for leaking cam seals which will set you back 20K with no warranty. If the gearbox or electronics go for some unknown reason they are covered under warranty, Or else expect to pay many thousands of dollars to the dealer. Gearbox = $40K:)
    If you track the car and can drive well and use the brake hard you will need pads eventually after about 4 or so track days. Cost of front pads is 5K. 5K for the rear.
    If you go through tyres then your up for them as well.
    Other than that they are pretty much very reliable from my experience. I went through pads and tyres and everything else was fine over a 4 year period. I had no issues. I now have a Pista and no issues either so good luck.

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    If you purchase a pre Feb 2019 488 GTB you will have 7 years free service from the date of the car. I say pre Feb in so far that the oil and filter will be changed. Post that date like all other Ferraris the car will tell service if the oil needs changing. Most likely not. Basically Pistas can out after this date and they dont have annual oil change. IMO thats BS as all turbo cars should have the oil changed regularly

I would make sure that extended FACTORY warrantee is also added . Now you can have this for years 4,5,6 and 7 years. I paid $12,250 for 2 years 4,5.
    IMO just get the extended warrantee.

Insurance on about $550,000 is about $4,400 / year. $5,000 EXCESS.

Tires and brakes are not cheap but again depends how you thrash the car. Me 4 years 9000 kms virtually new brakes and tires.

Next good luck in finding a car. Currently only 6 cars for sale in the whole of Australia and mostly high on the KLM's.

14. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    One on the GC 29k kms $430k

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    What about the smell of the seats George ? :D

Seeing you and Andrew in Sydney for the FNR ?

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Cheapest on car sales 2017 $469,900 plus on road costs $512,241 Victoria.
    • 30,527 km

17. LINO28

LINO28 Rookie

Jun 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Tye Lino
    Thanks for all of the responses.
    I have been thinking that the Extended warrantee is a good idea as it gives me some certainty.
    Is there anything that the factory extended warrantee doesn't cover or that you have been caught out by that you thought was covered?

Also with the increase in car prices due to COVID, what are everyone's thoughts on how much the 488's are 'overvalued' by at the moment?
    Anyone got any info on what similar cars were going for pre-covid?
    Any thoughts on what you think they will do over the next 12 months?

Cheers,

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    If its the Full factor warrantee and not the power warrantee EVERYTHING is covered even the trim as it a full factory warrantee.

Over valued ? Nah market correction. F8 selling 900 K makes no sense the 488 to be too much of a gap.

The 488 was cheaper when all the Pista buyers were handing in their cars. At one stage there were over 36 cars for sale. Today 6.

Next 12 months they will go even dearer.

19. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    There WERE 2 488s @Southport for $430k and $460k , both gone now

20. LINO28

LINO28 Rookie

Jun 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Tye Lino
    How long ago were they in there?
    i am assuming you are referring to the Ferrari Dealership in Southport?

21. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, Ferrari dealership, less than a month ago, was looking at one that had 19,000 kms $460k , the other had 29,000kms $430k and was the better one to have, was in perfect condition, had obviously been looked after

22. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Call them, ask for Garion, nice boy, could get a lead on a good one for you

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Year model makes a difference.

Cheapest one on cars

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2016 So 7 years ends next year JAN 2023. One year free service and the ability of only one year IF APPROVED to get full factory warrantee. But its a private sale no warrantee.

This all has a bearing on price.

482 k drive away except for 502 k if in Victoria.

10 K more and you can get a Dealer one with > 30,000 klms at $512,000 drive away plus extra insurance cost $12,500

24. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've been predicting a price crash for a few years now. So far, I've been completely wrong.

While it makes absolute sense to me that prices are too high, things are selling, so I'm STILL wrong!!! Had to happen eventually.

25. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow. I was waiting for them to get to $300k.
    They actually got pretty close a couple of years ago.

I think $450 - 500k is about right now for a good one.

And like everyone else here, I have no ****ing idea what I'm talking about. :p