458 air con issues | FerrariChat

458 air con issues

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ballie64, Jun 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    The air con in my 458 has suddenly stopped working it has started blowing warm air. When the car is ticking over if you put the air con on you hear a click and the engine revs stumble then pick up so I assume the pump is engaging I am hoping it just needs a re gas.

Are the gas top up connections by the brake reservoir top up as in my photo?

Anything else I can try before paying out for a top up please suggest
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Just went through this exact same issue. You can find my thread from last week.

Here was my experience with the sequence of events.

-Made sure a/c was fully charged
    -Checked the a/c compressor fuse
    -Replaced the pressure switch
    -Gave up
    -Took it to dealer and the clutch on the compressor basically sheared/exploded
    -$6k repair
    -Covered under power warranty thank god.

There isn’t much you can do yourself besides check the fuse and replace the pressure switch.

3. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    2010 458, bad compressor clutch. Experienced Indy installed rebuilt/reman compressor & replaced 1 hard line. About $1400 all in. Still going strong 3 years later.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    See if you can find the suction and discharge pipes from the compressor in the engine bay, with compressor engaged the suction pipe should be cool and the discharge should be hot, this will show the compressor is pumping. If you have lost gas it will get to the point where the LP switch will stop the compressor clutch from engaging.

Rexcat458 likes this.