On the road again - Robb's Ferrari Adventures | Page 111 | FerrariChat

On the road again - Robb's Ferrari Adventures

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Jan 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Yup it's the front one! Glad to have a car with an Fchat legendary status among our brethren...

Robb likes this.
  2. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great to see them out exercising!

treedee3d likes this.
  3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  4. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Hats off again to Dave in Buffalo for the engine cart design. It is the bomb… and made life good with this service.

Robb

5. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  6. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    All fluids back in.

exhaust back on.

started up fine after the 3rd go.

still have some minor nuts and bolts to wrap up and brake and clutch bleed before getting back on the road. A really fun process of getting to know the cars.

Robb

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion, 308 GTB and Skippr1999 like this.
  7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Nice! Glad to hear you're on the home stretch.

Y-pipe through rear subframe and overall exhaust on these requires a bit of effort to achieve best possible result for sure.

Far, FAR from worst/most difficult however, compared to other cars.

Lastly, 2.7 easier than 5.2, IMO.

Robb and MAD828 like this.
  8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Yes I’d rather mess with the 2.7 y pipe than have to feed the wiring loom through the firewall on a 5.2 car.

zstyle, INTMD8 and Robb like this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Matter of experience. Once you do it a few time it just slips right in.

tatry68 likes this.
  10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Wanted to give the group an update on several things. It’s been a while.

Finished up the major on Jon’s ‘95 B shown above and also wrapped up an extensive engine out service on our red ‘97 gts on our lift. We still have a couple of minor cosmetic things to take care of on the gts with wheel refinishing, and some interior cleaning but it’s a beautiful car that will be in the family long term. Parts took a while to get. Lots of delays because of the crazy world last years.

It’s been a very busy last couple of years. My wife changed up her job and we eventually moved to a second place in Reno, NV for a year. We thought that might be a permanent move but that stint ended and we are back in Arizona. We have been renovating some other parts to our house / adding a pool / etc, and contemplated selling it for a move but decided we like it too much with the garage, etc so we will likely keep it also long term. For my wife’s new work, we are getting a second place now in Tucson since it looks like this job will work out for her with a long term plan. So we’ll be back and forth between Tucson and Mesa. I can live pretty much anywhere as long as it has an airport…

I have not been as active posting in the 355 section for two reasons. The first is that I was tapped to be a moderator here with my work in the various car sections and that has stretched to keeping the place as civil as possible all across the board. Some time is also spent weeding out the scammers and phishers who try regularly to mess with our members and site. Or helping newer members and other members with admin issues.

The second reason is that I sold the blue F355 two years ago to go back to the original owner after being contacted by Southebys. I decided to pay off my house with it and the other cars being sold since Covid was not totally figured out and some uncertainty in life. It gave us flexibility on moving in any direction that we wished so it was very good in that respect along with no mortgage. At that time I also decided that after 4 355 that I was ok to move toward newer models of the marque with more time doing things together with my wife with the cars. So the aim was to move into an F12 and 458 for more comfortable road trips and add back some other cars we wanted when things settled down. So we will be adding something before too long and I’ll post about it here.

The funny part to the story was that I had some emails back and forth with the original owner of the blue 355 - Peter Kalikow. I got the communication from Southebys about the blue car and I wasn’t told who the buyer was but they resided in NY and FL. I assumed it was PK because of our emails on the car earlier and felt good about it going back to him because it was the only Ferrari (in his giant collection) he ever sold (to get a 456) for more comfort and the v12…

But I recently found out that the car did not go back to PK but to a similar owner who now wants a super car. And the blue 355 will be auctioned at Monterrey later this summer. So I expect it to do well since it has complete records from my work and was in very good mechanical condition with a light restoration with all Oem parts as well. It also had an engine out service at Miller Motorcars after the transport picked it up for me.

So I’ll post a link to the car auction once I get notice. Maybe it will go back to PK this time or another one of you who is looking for something very unique. All my 355 gave me smiles galore and pride of ownership could not be better.

But at least you all are caught up on life with my adventures. I’ll look forward to a unique F12 or 458 next up in blue or red…

Robb

11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Thanks for the update, Robb!

Best of luck on all your endeavors!

sjd

Robb likes this.
  12. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
  14. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I remember that car.....the color combo is absolutely magnificent. One of my all-time favorites. If ours is a just world, it will pull $200K+

Robb likes this.
  15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Hey Robb, one of the local car clubs I am involved with has an event tomorrow and the picture they used for the event advertisement looked a bit familiar. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen and Robb like this.
  16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Great to hear from you Robb, and happy motoring. Thank you for all that you have done for us and sharing your adventures. I noticed that the blue car went back to the original owner, but that wasn't Peter Kalikow?

18. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    these photos are just placeholders until the current owner / auctioneer finishes with the latest group of photos for the actual sale.

I can say that the car is super solid with me putting 25k into it after my purchase. Plus the current owner’s engine out. Not including sweat equity. It needs nothing really except some cleaning, and a seat bolster.

so buy with confidence.

And I have no affiliation except love for the car and my caretaking.

Robb

19. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    when the car was with the owner prior to me in Seattle area.

Robb

20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I thought the car was going back to PK through Sotheby’s but I assumed wrong. It was my intention the car go back to his ownership. Should have just emailed him for a confirmation…

Robb

PaulK likes this.
  21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yes, I know. :) Remember I'd been in the presence of that car a few times here before you bought it. Just got a chuckle when they used that pic for the ad. Apparently taken in 2017.

Robb likes this.
  22. mshobe

mshobe Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Seattle-ish
    Yep - that was my dyno run when I owned it prior to Robb. Yet another interesting document added to the provenance.

As my first and only Ferrari (so far) I feel pretty lucky to have had a place in this line.

Robb likes this.
  23. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You and I chatted at that Ferrari day at "The Shop". I had the blue 348. I think we also followed each other out of the parking lot when we left. Two blue Ferraris was great.

mshobe likes this.