458 - Steering wheel shaking/vibration after a track day in the 458 | FerrariChat

458 Steering wheel shaking/vibration after a track day in the 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Jun 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Just spent the day experiencing Pittsburgh International Raceway. What an unbelievable track!

Anyways I’m driving home right now in the 458 and then steering wheel is shaking with some sort of pulsating vibration that isn’t really noticeable unless I’m doing 65+ mph.

I didn’t hit anything on the track and the curbing is very smooth.

Anyone experienced this before?

What could be the issue?

2. Dseig001

Dseig001 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 21, 2017
    You warped your rotors, or lost a balancing weight.

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  3. LagunaSecaMike

Dec 27, 2014
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Check the front tires (and back) for rubber buildup from the track. You should be able to scrape off the excess rubber. If that is not the problem, then maybe the wheels got hot enough for the stick on weights to come off. That would be easy to spot. You would see the foam sticky part, but no weight.
    Here's what rubber buildup looks like.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The pulsating on the steering wheel happens about every half a second repetitively so it’s not constant. I can also feel it in the pedals

5. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I've had that happen multiple times with multiple fixes. Tires/wheels can get out of balance. Wheels can bend. Control arms can warp. Probably more reasons. Unfortunately, you have to throw money at it until it is solved.

ryalex likes this.
  6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    +1

Unless ...far fetched ..abs sensor/wheel sensor is getting tricked by something picked up in track ..is it an abs pulsation ?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think other people mentioned this as well, but my guess would be OPR (other people's rubber).
    Easy to fix by just putting some miles on the tires. It happens to me almost every track day (I don't track Ferrari though).
    Second guess would be a tossed weight. The glue can soften from the heat, causing it to fall off (never happened to me yet).

Of course those guesses apply only if it was a smooth track, and you didn't hit anything too hard, or the curbing, etc.

LagunaSecaMike likes this.
  8. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Sounds like a wheel balance problem. If you track your car you can put aluminum tape over the wheel weights so you don’t loose them and go out of balance.

Have a look if your weights have come off.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Lots of possibilities noted above; I’d go with a balance related issue - tossed weight or accumulated rubber from the track (a real BB to remove BTW).

10. garak

garak Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Florida/Arizona
    Most likely a wheel out of balance, either from pickup of rubber or losing a wheel weight. If your brakes got really hot, that can cause the adhesive on the wheel weights to fail and drop the weights. I had that occur, and the solution was to cover the wheel weights with aluminum foil tape.

Need4Spd and LagunaSecaMike like this.
  11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    As others said most likely you picked up rubber from the track. Could be a missing weight, but because it feels uneven, more likely excess rubber.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks for the info on Pitt, I’ll put it on my radar.

Could be a bunch of things causing vibration - tire wear, bent rim, lost weights, marbles (hard rubber), mis-alignment, etc. But it’s fixable and not an engine or transmission problem.

I bent a rim and didn’t even feel it until I went to change the tire.

Hey, maybe see you at Pocono this week, I’m leaving tomorrow for FCA on Monday and Tuesday!

13. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    curious on the outcome ........