What Happened with Dino Values!!! | Page 8 | FerrariChat

What Happened with Dino Values!!!

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Mar 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Really nice!

2. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    The link says $625,000...

mccand likes this.
  3. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    Ah they added that since it was initially posted.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    All - sorry for the confusion on my part

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    $509k USD today

Skippr1999 likes this.
  8. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    Here’s one: Chairs and flares, black on red, fully restored, classiche certified.. (though unless I am mistaken, I don’t think those headrests are correct, nor is the targa top color).

Regardless, to me it’s a stunning car that has had a lot put into it.

https://silverstoneauctions.com/sa082-lot-17901-1974-ferrari-dino-246-gts

They also have a euro RHD GTS non chairs & flairs for auction (also classiche certified, and also with the wrong color targa top)

https://silverstoneauctions.com/sa082-lot-18268-1973-ferrari-dino-246-gts-classiche-certification-%CF%89

Gorgeous cars…

UroTrash likes this.
  9. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    seems their estimate on the right hand drive car is low

300-400 Euro

do right hand drive Dinos bring more $ than a comparable year and condition LHD?

asking out of true ignorance

10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #185 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    Black C & F sold $575K + fees LHD

Blue GTS RHD sold $418K + fees

Neelfryer and Fynmere like this.
  11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I still think (as not driven one extensively yet), Dino is fantastic, fun, amazing...,
    but, at the same or almost close, price to a Daytona (one better than driver condition),
    that may not be so fantastic as Dino (one potentially platinum) , does not make any sense in $$$.

I know, heresy, I would take a Daytona anytime:)

Regards, Alberto

NYC Fred and V12addict like this.
  12. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    The desirableness of the Daytona seems to be generational, especially for those who were into Ferraris during the time when the Dino was overlooked, the Daytona was the 1970s top dog, and 12-cylinders Ferraris were considered the "only Ferrari." However, I know few collectors in their 40s (or younger) that dream about a Daytona, but many who love the timeless characteristics of the Dino. It would not surprise me to see the Dino surpass Daytona values permanently in the next few years 5+ years. Whether that means Daytona prices fall below the Dino, or the Dino continues to move upward in value is anyone's guess.

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I'm not so sure if Dino values will surpass the Daytona? The Daytona is the last front engine V12 of the Enzo era and production numbers Dino v. Daytona are more than 3:1
    What does surprise me is how Dino has eclipsed BB valuations and that looks permanent. Not to disparage the Dino in any way--as you know I am a big fan(of one 246 GT in particular;))

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Meant to say "last front engine V12 Berlinetta of the Enzo era"

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The Dino, with only 6 cylinders, is cheaper to maintain and restore than a 12 cylinder Ferrari, so this could well be a factor in high Dino values.

pilotoCS, swift53 and 375+ like this.
  16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Could be one factor but I believe that the overall vehicle is so emotional, right sized, usable, agile, fun to drive and low production volume are key factors. The sound of the motor is another major factor.

rynoshark, Martyt and UroTrash like this.
  17. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I would also add the most beautiful car ever designed— so pretty with sexy lines; no bad angle.

18. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I have said many times, the Dino isn’t just the most beautiful car ever created, it may be the most beautiful object ever made by man.

Texas Forever and Martyt like this.
  19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wish I fit.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Agree with everything above.
    Being an original owner of 04124 spyder, I can say back in the 70s I had a friend with a Daytona, it was always a planned drive with him. One could not just hop in your Daytona and go to the 7/11 for a slurpy. But in contrast, we used to go in 04124 and park it anywhere without any concern. Today that idea has changed for good with all the appreciation in value. The thing that hasn't changed is the hop in the car and drive. I can still hop in my Dino and drive anywhere in the spur of the moment. That to me is the real value over all else and I think is the value behind the appreciation in value. Not too shabby a ride either!

21. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Well, the Boxers have had something of a bad rap for a long time; I think the fact that the trans placement seemed sort of "not racing inspired", plus the fact that it has no luggage space, plus the fact that it never was Federalized put sort of a cloud over its value levels. It was also up against the Countach, and while the Lambo also suffered from the latter of these issues, there is no denying that the Lambo is a more iconic car (and more significant (from an automotive history perspective)).

Personally, I think the Boxer has much more of a Prototype vibe than the Dino does, but this also means that it is more of an extreme machine; not something that one drives casually...

Note, that I mean the following statements in the most complimentary way(s) possible...

I've come to the opinion that the out-sized rise in Dino values reflects the same trends that drove air-cooled 911 values through the roof a few years back; simple, agile, iconic car from a "golden age"; throw-in that you can drive it casually, and the fact that it appeals nicely to all genders, and the fact that there is at least the general perception that the numbers built means that you can get parts, and you have an equation for a car that everyone wants. With big demand, and limited supply, prices jump.

There is also the fact that there might be certain rub-off from the Hollywood angle. The Dino is sort of kindred to the 308, and itself has appeared in a fair number of shows/movies, so there is a familiarity/approachability there.

Note that the above last couple of paragraphs don't apply to the Boxer(s) so much.

So I guess my point is that rarity and absolute performance are not the only things that play into values; market appeal is probably *the* major thing, and Dinos have it over Boxers in most ways.

The interesting thing in my mind is that it is plausible the that the Dinos have this sense of being "attainable", and that this means that demand for them goes up, which means that they become unattainable, but people see the demand and decide that they are willing to spend dizzying amounts for them. Personally, I think this is what happened in the air-cooled 911 market...

22. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Well said!

23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Neal, still think one can drive any of these cars to the 7-11. You have insurance, right?
    Just be wise while parking :)

Regards, Alberto

rynoshark and 375+ like this.
  24. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    Neil, just an observation- your GTS was built just after mine (04122). Very cool!

Martyt likes this.
  25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #200 miurasv, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    I see it written about the Boxers having the engine placed above the gearbox as a negative thing often, but I believe it is unjustified as the engine is a Flat engine that has a lower centre of gravity than a Vee engine, so the mass will be lower down. Also the gearbox/transaxle is more ideally placed further forward towards the middle of the chassis than if it was behind the engine further towards the back of the chassis.