What was your largest repair bill? | FerrariChat

What was your largest repair bill?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Etcetera, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    What was your single largest repair bill?

Shock us! Regale us with the big numbers! Amaze us with huge parts lists and repair bills!

Might as well toss in your smallest repair bill, too.

2. azheman

azheman Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    $1400 - Water Pump

$99 - they looked at the thing lol
    darn ferrari dealerships!

3. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I'm guessing, Scottsdale Ferrari???? Jim Summers loves to take everybody's $99 just to look at their cars. Gotta love it!!!

4. azheman

azheman Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    hahah
    yeah that guy... i'm going to start going to scottsdale lotus though...i've heard it's much better.

5. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Yeah me too. Been there done that! What a lesson!!!!!!!!!!

6. MikeF

MikeF Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Bloomington IN
    Full Name:
    Mike Fisher
    $44,000.00+ Interior fire. Dash, windows, paint, entire interior on 77GTB!

7. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    #7 KKSBA, Mar 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    $200 to replace a nearly 20 year old headlight motor.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

9. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    My father's Gruppe B/959 Porsche was rear ended the body work was around 30,000+ and the engine/machanical was over 50,000. the insurance company paided all with out even the smallest problem

10. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

$12,700.00 for a whole host of neglected items when I first got the 308 QV.

11. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    $38000 for small fire in the left rear quarter.

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

$12K and climbing on the fix up of the 246GT I purchased recently.

Best guess, not including the interior kit, is $18K.

Rebuilt motor, all new valves, guides and seats, pistons, etc. Carbs rebuilt many odds and ends.

Interior kit is about $4K, on the way.

But, should land all in at under $60K for a complete 1972 US spec car, with A/C P/W, daytona interior, all but flairs.

Stay tuned, I'll post the total when it's over.

Non f-car was $13,400 when my Saab 9000 Turbo was rear ended at the CAR WASH some years ago. Car was 6 weeks old, got hit day after Xmas by an overzealous attendant driving a Jeep that belonged to the lawyer standing next to me at the wash.

All in all, a bad day for the attendant. Sold the Saab as soon as it came back from the body shop.

13. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    A freind of mine had his motor on a 246 rebuilt a couple of years ago , I saw the check that her wrote, $25K! I couldn't believe it. SO be prepared and good luck, they are beautiful cars.
    David

14. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Madturk- please elaborate....what caused the fire- I'm assuming it was your 355? Was it those blasted headers? Being a current porsche owner and hopeful someday Ferrari owner, I cringe when I hear about car fires in Ferraris....Please say something that will make me more comfortable about someday getting a ferrari, like you left a gallon gas can sitting on the engine block and accidentally dropped a lit cigarette into the can or something....:)

And other's- please continue adding to this thread! I know the good of having a ferrari (no substitute car in my opinion- the ultimate!), but I need to know the bad- the worst of the worst for routine (and non-routine) maintenance...

Thanks!
    Andrew

15. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Note mine, but I have done a parts order for a 575 that equaled over $74k. And no, they did not total the car. It only had 600 miles on it.

Mine, on my 99 Cobra, $5291.43, twice....damn motor blowing.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    As far as "repairs" are concerned I have never had to spend more that $1500 or so. For service, I have spent $6500 for the 30k I had done at FOA last Spring.

17. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Another universe: 1972 Lotus Europa

$2500 water pump (includes $800 for the pump; special cassette type that includes front engine cover, head off, R and R engine with retiming, assorted other tweaks while they were at it.)

$.73 for a missing set screw on a carb needle. My idiot guy left it out and I just had to pay the part cost; installed it myself of course. But it's a bona fide repair as the car ran like crap without it!

Ken

18. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Sorry Andrew 911,
    The fire was caused because I was stupid to trust a pump at a gas station. I was pumping gas and while I was waiting for the pump to stop the tank got full but the pump never stop. By the time I looked, the pump was spraying gas everywhere. Some of it got into the engine bay. Hot engine and gas causes fire go figure. At the end my insurance co. payed for it. They got their money from the gas co. and my car was out for about 4 months.
    Other then that I spend about $6000 for the 30k and $3000 for a clutch. But the car now is like new

19. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

$0, so far on an '01 360, still under warranty and haven't owned that long. Oh, changed he oil for $180. Knock on wood.......and hopefully there will be no horror stories to report. Just thought I'd put a positive spin on this thread ;)

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Wow, I hope that's not true or maybe there was other work besides the engine. I spoke with one of the top engine builders here on LI about 6 months ago about rebuilding a 246 motor if I dropped it at his shop (only because I thought about one in Cal. which needed this kind of work and wanted to get a feel for the cost). Said about 8K for complete rebuild. If things were really ugly and it needed huge amounts of parts 12Kmax.

Back to the original question. Have only spent money on maintenance, no repairs, but that isn’t cheap.

21. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Quote:"$44,000.00+ Interior fire. Dash, windows, paint, entire interior on 77GTB!"

OMG! Thats twice the value of the car! Why not just total it? Likewise with $12,700 for the 308....thats about half the value. Is it really worth it at that point? I guess if you really love the car or it has sentimental value no amount of money is too much.
    I've had my Ferrari for about 9 months and have only had to change to oil. I think it might have a hot start problem so i'll have to look into that soon.

22. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

23. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Regarding the damaged Enzo...I have read that the damage to the car was estimated at $400,000??? :(

I can not believe that the cost to repair this car is anywhere near that amount, looks like about a third of that quote I heard about!

24. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    Took my 355 Spider in a couple of years ago and was told that it's common for 355s to have one of their 2 exhaust manifolds (I think that was the wording he used) go faulty. He was very sorry to tell me that both of mine were shot. Each one cost $4k, plus $1k in labor, so $9k total.

25. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    You should of just bought the tubi versions.