360 Manual Conversions - New info? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Manual Conversions - New info?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Vantage007, Jun 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    #26 one4torque, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    The number of f1 cars in the queue for gated conversion indicates a strong demand to row your own gears.

Time will tell if the swap demand remains strong.

If you have to pay 1.8x over an f1 car to get an oem gated car… then I see the swap cars fitting somewhere in between the two.

Ive yet to hear of a gated car swapped to f1… but may it will happen someday? I’ve driven an f1 car and it was not for me. My wife’s m2 gives me the flappy paddle experience.

I see an opp in the future to pickup a beat f1 spider w f1 issues and top issues— then gated swap and add the new aftermarket liftoff hardtop for the ult lw and rel fun.

Many don’t consider the gated a premium… or modena a premium…. But rather they look at the troublesome f1 and top as detractors in value .. if the car has not been maintained.

If you look at 360 value tracking over time it is the f1 variant trailing the overall trend…. I believe the gated cars truly rep where the value of 360’s should be relative to the others 355 and 430.

2. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Yeah, the differential between a minty F1 car and a minty gated car is at least $50,000 where I'm located, even more in some cases. I happened to come across a wicked deal (~30% under market) for a spotless F1 car that needed nothing but tires and stickies. I thought I might be okay to live with an F1 box (my V8 Vantage, 964 911, E39 M5 and S2000 are all sticks) but after just one day behind the wheel I realized I simply couldn't.

The car is incredible with the exception of the transmission, and I have the technician/tooling to do the conversion. We've set a goal date of July 10 to have a gated car on the road. I'm also going to be doing a major service (it has been five years and ~5,000km) and a couple of small bits before it hits the ground.

Will keep you all posted!

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Not very well finished in my opinion- the exposed paddle rockers on the steering column and the obviously aftermarket shift plate don’t do justice to a 10k mile car in my opinion.

That said, i completely agree that you should convert your car because that’s the car you want to have. There is an argument for manual 360’s to just buy a factory manual, as they weren’t that rare to start with.

Modified cars making a premium on the cost of modification is a historical aberration. Seems inevitable to me that the market would correct that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LVP488 and one4torque like this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The shift gate is a very limited item. A car has to die to free one up as they are made of unobtainium. If you're going to convert to manual, you're going to use an aftermarket gate. A clever thief could steal a gate and sell it for thousands on eBay... (Of course, "clever" and "thief" are mutually exclusive.)

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Over the past 3 yrs I’ve been collecting gated swap parts… I watch f chat Facebook mkt place and eBay and the breaker sites….

see below all the oem parts I’ve amassed ;;;

1 / gated console

that is it!!!!

I recall seeing an entire oem hardware kit from a wreck sell on eBay in 2018 for $3500!! I thought that was a crazy number ..

Rifledriver and EastMemphis like this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Do we ever expect an f1 swap kit to be desired?? In the future..

7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For original gated cars, most probably not - but, one may imagine that someday there could be a demand to "restore" converted cars to original-like, whenever the cars would have become museum pieces and therefore being closer to authentic will be the main considered value... This may happen if many cars are converted, making the original F1 rarer.

one4torque likes this.
  8. romeo7

romeo7 Rookie

Oct 13, 2020
    Agree that these shift gates are now rare, but is it true that they were previously available through Ferrari spare parts? New old stock shift gate would be a dream come true for many.

9. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    cos it’s fun. It’s not always about speed. Or residual value.

catdog, hessank and LorenzoR like this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    But then, why not choose an older car that's easily available as a manual?

11. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    At 26,000 mi. my 360 F1 shifting experience over the last 8 years has been flawless. I did replace the pump as a preventative measure because it was taking 15 sec. to prime. It was not that expensive.
    The reliability of F1 (and top mechanisms for that matter) tend to get blown out of proportion on these forums and then get repeated on YouTube channels by people who don't even own them let alone are even old enough to drive them.

As an aside: I'm waiting for the first lawsuit where the Manual Conversion was not disclosed to the buyer who paid a silly premium.

12. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    This is an interesting point, I've had my 360 stick for several years now and the reason I went for the 360 instead of an older car was because the 360 was cheaper at the time.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Dave I love ya' man.. but at 26,000 miles I wouldn't expect anything at all to break. That's like first year or two mileage of any other car. :)

Mine has close to 68,000 miles. If it's still as flawless at 50k.. then I'd make a claim about reliability. :) It's like saying a year old car has no issues.. the reliability comments are there for a reason. Just read this thread any week and there will be an F1 issue post. :)

Not arguing.. and I get your point... just saying.. :)

14. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Just check the first two pages of the 360/430 forum and count the threads with F1 issues.

15. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Maybe the owner likes their 360, maybe they have owned it a long time and want to keep it forever… Could be any reason.

As Ferrari owners we are not exactly rational at the best of times or we wouldn’t have them at all. Making the decision to convert the transmission on a car when it doesn’t make logical or financial sense is no more of a surprise than buying the car in the first place :)

EastMemphis likes this.
  16. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I did. 50 posts per page or 100 posts had 3 F1 specific issues and 3 Manual specific issues. I'd call that a draw!

Rifledriver and flash32 like this.
  17. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe whatever the manual specific problem, it would be far easier to diagnose and fix on a manual. No ATF involved either. However, if you came back from your fancy dinner out and the gate had been stolen, then you're totally screwed. There's no F1 problem that can't be fixed. Since so many have converted to manual, there's plenty of parts available.

It might actually be worth using security screws to hold in the gate. The gate is probably the most valuable part per unit work to remove from the car. Couple grand on eBay, if you can find one.

brogenville likes this.
  18. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I counted to five threads of F1-issues with a quick glance. I´d take those rare manual issues any day over the F1 issues with all the mystery leaks, pressure issues, shifting issues etc etc.

catdog likes this.
  19. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have help fix over six cars/issues with less than 300 dollars .. sometimes issues get blown out of proportion

So not sure how many of those threads match to the ones I help fix but please work that into the equation

We fix them cheaper than a ac recharge

Please let's not forget this system is used in fiats Maserati and others .. just in Ferrari the shops try to charge you an arm and a leg ..it is a shame

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

20. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The only mystery is the incompetence of some mechanics and chinese whispers to and from the pretty voice/face of your service manager

catdog and Rifledriver like this.
  21. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    No matter how you see it, manual gearbox is a peace of mind and a revelation to the car. The F1 system is clunky and just a hassle in most circumstances apart maybe from going flat out. And then there´s the reliability issues and finding someone who can take care of it the right way AND not overcharge. Seems like searching for a unicorn. Everybody that see the cavallino know they are about to get payed. :)

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sure. Because so many people have mechanics that are incompetent and listen to chinese whispers (whatever that means BTW). Reputations are formed, not given. And the market apparently agrees BTW.

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's a crap transmission with the DCT now available. So many people wanting to get their car converted for $$$$$ isn't an aberration. Its an indicator.

LorenzoR likes this.
  24. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Chinese whispers is a fun game, basically it means the more people a message is passed through the more incorrect it becomes
    Hence my dislike of dealing with the “pretty face or voice” behind the desk

My work vehicles (hyundai) the last 2 times i insist i want airfilters changed irrespective of if its due, I confirm when booking via phone, in person at drop off and upon pickup its never done.

25. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    So an update to this. We've been working with a number of industry experts for the past few weeks and have managed to procure all of the parts needed to do the swap. Obviously we do have the tooling/diag equipment.

My car should be fully converted within the week. Assuming this goes well with no hiccups (there are always hiccups...) we'll be offering this service to 360/430 owners in Toronto, Canada who want to ditch F1 for a gated manual.

Note - my car will have the OEM gate, however as this part is insanely expensive, we'll be giving people the option of a good aftermarket one (looks mostly similar, just missing the Ferrari logo).

brogenville likes this.