What did you do to your 599/612 today? | FerrariChat

What did you do to your 599/612 today?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Hawkeye, May 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Wanted a place to put simple projects or any DIY maintenance on your 599 or 612 that doesn’t require a long thread.

Today I replaced the front right gravel guard for the R.H. front wheelhouse on my 599 HGTE. It was chipped and cracked, easy replacement, took 20 minutes, no need to remove front tire.

Part # 68575800

Here’s a pic of the old one, new part seems much stiffer, better quality.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. empti

empti Rookie

Apr 26, 2022
    SF Bay Area
    I was considering doing the same thing. Where did you order this part from?

3. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    Just crossed 50,000 km with my 612 OTO, which in another context is 22,000 km in the 7 months I have owned her.

She has been the perfect GT with 6 trips from Paris to the French Riviera and a wondeful trip to Biarritz, the Pyrenees, and Northern Spain.

So today deserved some "spa" time with a single stage polish and some UHD wax from Autoglym (which is my preferred wax for white vehicles).

Took me 6 hrs excluding the wash and clay bar.

Also gave the engine bay a wipedown.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I made the mistake of ordering the "Spare Tire" option when I ordered my 599 HGTE from Ferrari. The strength of the trunk/boot floor of the 599 WITH the spare tire option is compromised as 1/3 of the floor is basically hinged to accommodate the spare. The result, if you use the 599 for trips as you should, is that the weight of the luggage causes this piece to become deformed near the tire, things fall into the well, luggage doesn't fit properly, looks horrible, etc...

I set out to replace the broken floor with the full version that does NOT have the spare tire option. I called a couple of parts distributors looking for part # 68570900: New list price approximately $700, used in marginal condition on eBay for about $400.

After close inspection of my original one from Ferrari, it's made from 1/4" plywood sprayed with adhesive and carpeted. So I decided to make one myself, here is the list of materials:

2 x 4 x 1/4" Birch Plywood (Home Depot) $21.00
    1 Can Insta-Bond Spray Adhesive (yourautotrim.com) $11.45
    1 Yard 80" wide Ozite Black 2001 Superflex Automotive Carpet (yourautotrim.com) $22.00
    1 Arrow T50 Staple Gun (amazon) comes with staples $50
    1 Halero 78"x59" Black Underfelt Carpet (amazon) $28

Total Materials $ 132.45
    Total Time 4 hours
    Note: I've never done anything like this before

• I took lots of measurements and allowed 1/4" of space all around to allow for carpet thickness
    • There is a trunk latch hook plate assembly that required a curve to be cut in the piece
    • I used a jigsaw to cut the birch, sanded the edges
    • I spray painted the birch with flat black paint the night before
    • The carpet adhesive sprays out like cotton candy, let sit one minute and then put it down
    • I clamped the carpet and worked in sections, easy and no stress
    • I used 1/4" staples for the edges and 3/8" staples for the corners - carpet overlap was thicker here
    • The underfelt was the last step and is exactly what Ferrari used to cover bottom side
    I'm really pleased with the result, the carpet is an exact match and the boot floor is much sturdier than before. The birch wood is a higher quality and stronger than the 1/4" plywood from Ferrari. Very satisfying and I saved $600 bucks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Zaza, F3RN4ND0, SonomaRik and 2 others like this.
  5. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks great. Put the Assembly Number on it and everyone will think it is OEM. The date may confuse that a bit.

Hawkeye likes this.
  7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
  8. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am going to change my oil soon also. I have purchased the Liqui Moly also. I have never used it before, how do you like it? How many oil changes have you done with this oil?

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    This is the first time I've changed my own oil in the 599, Shell 10W60 unavailable at the moment, but LiquiMoly meets all the same standards. I'll keep you posted, this is first I've used the oil.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would much rather have the LiquiMoly than the Shell product. In my 575M right now.

Hawkeye likes this.
  11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Terry,

After some discussion with the engineers at Archoil, I've stopped using the Tutela FVI Booster oil and switched to the Archoil 9100 product. Tutela FVI Oil Booster is, as we all know, a type of slightly thicker STP. In fact the only difference from STP is a slight change in viscosity at 100 Degrees Celsius. My average 599 operating oil temp is 82 Degrees C.

Archoil is used in heavy applications as well as racing. I can say this and I'm only on a few days of driving with since the oil change: After getting the car back from dealer with Shell + Tutela, there is a still a tapity, tap, tap with the lifters at startup, it doesn't go away.

Since I've changed the oil with LiquiMoly + Archoil, the engine is as quiet as a Lexus, not a peep from the lifters. Anecdotal? We shall see. I also sent out previous sample (Shell + Tutela) out to Blackstone Labs for Analysis.

More to follow

https://www.archoil.com/products/ar9100-oil-additive

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chad- 575s are so noisy (plus Fabio's headers) that I cannot hear any difference, but glad it worked for your 599. Some indications the FVI additive was for the cam variators, some indications for the lifters, but will have to remember the Archoil 9100 in case anybody asks. I still use Petronas Tutela CS Speed in my F1 system, but that is hydraulic/ glorified ATF fluid for Selespeed systems and not related to the FVI additive at all.

Attached Files:

Hawkeye likes this.
  13. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks Hawkeye and Taz for the useful info. Glad I got the Liquimoly then

Hawkeye likes this.
  14. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    I heard that some dealers are using the following additive:
    Liqui Moly Viscoplus for Oil.
    is this a good replacement for the original additive ?

Attached Files:

15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    This additive seems to have same/similar properties to the Tutela FVI Booster Oil.

https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pdf/en_GB/liqui/19/P000006

16. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    The grille on my’05 612 is missing a number of the shiny vertical trim bits. I found an NOS mesh grille from the OTO options list on eBay. Today I took a crack at swapping it in. This requires removing the bumper, which requires removing the front belly pan, and two of the three components comprising each inner fender. The third component, the top of the inner fender, seems to be impossible to remove, but you must rotate it to free up the trailing lip of the bumper or the bumper won’t come off. I also learned that there are six large threaded studs securing the bumper to the chassis, each with a 17 mm nut. The shop manual calls out only four. With two floor jacks and a tire you can do the reinstallation solo.

Attached Files:

17. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Couldn’t you have just replaced the chrome trim bits that were missing? I have a single one missing from my grill. Can I buy one from you?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I wanted something different. No offense, but I like the looks of the mesh grille better than the egg crates. The 499 GTO designers agree. Here is the finished product, at the marina in San Leandro, CA, Image Unavailable, Please Login my home town:

F3RN4ND0, Doug. and Hawkeye like this.
  19. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Nice. Do you want to sell the old grille?

20. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I should keep the grille with the car. At some point I will replace the missing bits with tube stock as described in other threads on this forum.

21. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Today is Leatherique Day. I took the car out for a run, got it nice and hot, slathered the rejuvenating oil over all the leather with the car parked in the sun. 2 hours later, Pristine Clean to get it all off. It usually takes a couple of days for the leather to absorb all the product and feel soft and supple.

Hawkeye likes this.
  22. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I read the first two sentences and got all excited.

bamaman likes this.
  23. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

24. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    I loved all the disassembled pictures and details., and the fact that you were brave enough to tackle it at home! Thinking it might look nice on my OTO too.Do you have an EBay link for these OTO parts? I can’t find a damn thing on EBay but led light bulbs and 1000 car covers that fit anything apparently.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Hawkeye likes this.