The end of Ferrari, as we know it | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The end of Ferrari, as we know it

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by johnk..., Jun 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tell us how you really feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    F2003-GA likes this.
  3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    512 M, without a doubt .

Thank you

llk and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    As long as I don't have to look at it, the car from the 90s....

Of course the new golden era of exotic cars 1990-2005 had soooo many great choices.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Ultima RS

Ultima RS Karting

Apr 4, 2022
    Yeah, but he's not wrong. :D

6. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    The 2022-2026 Strategic Plan does state still 20% ICE cars in 2030, so not quite the end.
    https://ml-eu.globenewswire.com/Resource/Download/8deec0d2-2995-4056-8630-c3f925bfa379

The bit I loved best in the report was this one line in the section on carbon emissions.

• Vehicle end of life is not taken into account because a Ferrari is forever.

Though of course bits do need replacing now and then!

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I didn't say ICE is going away, I was affirming it is the end of ICE cars as we know them.

In fact in another thread I predicted that by 2040 gasoline prices will be about 30 cents per gallon and people with electric cars will be leaving them at home because the cost of electricity will be so high they can't afford to charge their cars. I'm holding onto my two V12's!

8. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Well in 2040 I will be 90 and will not be overly bothered. Mean while I continue to drive my Dino 308GT4 at vast fuel expense which hurts.

paulchua, LVP488, llk and 1 other person like this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Agreed, I worked in the power generation business in the 90s and they were using spit and bailing wire then.

I'm in Texas, and every time we survive a high demand weekend now, it is reported on in the Monday local news.....

AtomicPunk88, Texas Forever and tomc like this.
  10. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Our grids cannot support any of this ev nonsense by 2025 or 2035 or 2045.

Let's see what wonderful solutions the people who are ramming this down our throat come up with then. I should still be around in 23 years or so. Think Healthcare, South of the border, mental illness...

Ultima RS likes this.
  11. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    #87 GTHill, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2022
    Political posts don't belong outside of the politics and religion (P&R) section (Silver subscribed).

12. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Interesting read, a lot of 'what we have is good' and 'I don't want to evolve or change' ;-)

Imagine if the electric car had been the predominant car the last 100 years and an ICE was introduced? All of a sudden you had to go to a petrol station to fill it up instead of just doing it over night at home. The car would be laud and smell (it would never be allowed on the streets for noise pollution). The amount of things that could go wrong, you had to service the car with oil, filters etc. and the lists goes on.

And let's be honest, the roaring sound of a high powered engine on a bike or in a car, is 95% of the time only enjoyable for the person driving, for everybody else it is just noise pollution.

I have the both EVs and Ferrari, Range Rover etc. and living in a city I would prefer everybody (and especially trucks) drove EVs, it would be a dream. I love the Ferrari and the sound when I shift up and down, but going on a 1000 mile trip I prefer the EV, you can not begin to compare how much more relaxed you are when you arrive.

In my EV I can go 0-62 in 2,5s but I can also in the same car go 130 mpg and the car only has the equivalent of 2.5 gallon of petrol in fully charged battery. If you try to drive economical in a V12 you'll be lucky to get a tenth of the 130 mpg. ICE is just very very inefficient.

I think the ICE powered cars in the future will be like horses are today in many parts of the world. An expensive hobby that can be enjoyed on the special tracks.

EVs are coming, but of course it will take many decades to replace the enormous number of cars on the road today, but in Norway it's already more 50% of all new cars sold that are EVs.

I just wish Ferrari would make an EV as a luxurious 4 person cabriolet that looks good. I would buy in on the spot, would be great for just cruising. I have a harder time with Ferrari making a SUV than I would with them making an EV.

Also, with EVs, maybe the Italian coach build era from the 50s/60s will come back, as they can you buy a 'skateboard' and do their own thing on top.

arp, Radu, paulchua and 4 others like this.
  13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Wait, you mean after I get home from a long day of work I can't go anywhere until the next day while my appliance is charging? HUGE disadvantage.....

Electricity could not have been invented first.....because the whole industry needed fossil fuels to get off the ground.

And when you talk about inefficiency in this way, it shows a lack of understanding how electricity is produced. If you look at the entire chain, converting one type of energy to another is inefficient....just a fact. Even fusion will be inefficient when we are finally able to make it commercially viable

In much of the world, you just can't make a 1,000 mile trip in an EV.

I'm glad you are enjoying your EV, but they aren't for everybody in every situation.

U-Boat Commander and Gh21631 like this.
  14. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Sure, very inefficient when the lifespan of batteries is unknown and the replacement costs are enormous not to mention what does the world do with the old batteries. Yeah much more efficient than fuel.

Oddly when a dozen or more of us drive, we are encourage to make as much mechanical music as possible and the number of smiles this creates. Perhaps Denmark simply does not love Ferrari's. Guys I know I drive their cars all over mainland Europe and by and large the experience is positive.

15. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Could not agree with entire post more.

Shark01 likes this.
  16. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Firstly, I'm never 'empty' when coming home and secondly I'll charge 100 miles at home in the time it takes me to take a bath, so not a problem in the real world.

I'm not saying they are for everybody in every situation, the same way a Ferrari is not for everybody in every situation.

About the production of electricity, please read up on the amount of electricity used to produce a gallon of petrol or diesel. A gallon of petrol does not just appear in the pump when you need it - and they typically use oil to produce the electricity they use to refine the oil into petrol or diesel. At this moment I can look at the Danish National Grid and see that 85% of the electricity used in this very moment is from renewable energy. Of course this is only in Denmark and the picture would have been very different just five years ago, but that is the way things are going.

There are a lot of 'facts' out there that is just not true anymore or never have been.

The smart money is backing EV - you can just hope that Ferrari will hurry up and put some of their magic to it.

Radu and Boomhauer like this.
  17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Chris, no offense intended but using Denmark as a model for world energy is silly. Here is a fact you can debate:

Denmark is about 3.2 times smaller than Florida.

Florida is approximately 139,670 sq km, while Denmark is approximately 43,094 sq km, making Denmark 30.85% the size of Florida. Meanwhile, the population of Florida is ~18.8 million people (12.9 million fewer people live in Denmark).

If you substitute the word sheep for smart in the phrase smart money, I think we get agreement from the vast majority here. Any wonder Musk is the richest man in the world? Lots of sheep.

All the zero sum game is at the moment worldwide is an idea without the infrastructure to back it up.

tilomagnet and F2003-GA like this.
  18. Ultima RS

Ultima RS Karting

Apr 4, 2022
    Electric vehicles ARE a political topic.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No they are not....they are an application of alternative energy that we are discussing the merits of and how widespread the application should be versus other options.

What you were posting was total nonsense (where does slavery or social security fit in this topic?).

Radu, paulchua, 695 and 1 other person like this.
  20. RossoCorsa22

RossoCorsa22 Karting

May 11, 2022
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kareem
    I, too, had a strong dislike for EVs until I took a Taycan "Turbo" S to Sonoma Raceway for a 30 minute track session followed by timed 0-60 runs at the drag strip. Dear God that thing is a force of nature. Although there's no denying its 5000+ lb curb weight in the turns, the acceleration is spine-bending, and handling is astonishing for a car of that size. And that was just Porsche's first stab at an EV. I can't wait for the EV 718 platform, supposedly scheduled for 2025.

That said, there's no question that the emotion of an ICE sports car is something that EVs can't replicate. But oil is a finite resource, and one day it will simply become economically irrational to produce it for road going use. That day is certainly far off, but the change will happen, albeit much more slowly than the Evangelists might think.

It's just progress. We don't light our streets with whale oil anymore, nor do horses draw our carriages, nor does steam power our locomotives. Admittedly the issue has become far too politicized, and the true environmental costs of manufacturing EVs are certainly being ignored and obscured by the popular narrative of clean energy.

ICE cars won't go away tomorrow, but they won't endure forever, either. All we can do is enjoy our dinosaur-juice-powered beauties for as long as we can, and make our voices heard at the local, state, and federal levels, by persuading our elected officials to enact sensible policies grounded in reality, rather than hyperbolic narratives.

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Interesting post. ICE was a sort of historical accident. Easy to forget it didn’t “win” on its own.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

695 likes this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    It absolutely won on its own merit......do you not remember attempts powering cars using steam and electricity in the early 1900s? You would prefer steam aircraft?

23. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    #99 GTHill, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2022
    3 day ban for not heeding the above warning. You are a new user - please take this rule seriously.

Radu and Hocakes like this.
  24. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And Florida could easily have 85% of it's energy from renewables or even more.

So take Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland and compare to Florida. Four independent countries with different sources of energy but all about the same percentage of renewable energy. Florida, one state, using oil to cool down houses, offices, malls etc. because they get to hot for all that free renewable energy shinning down on them.

Call it sheeps all you want, that is the way things are going ...

I do believe that the first car was electric. Nobody is saying that oil and ICE has not done a lot for the modern world, but next step is coming

But are they? Do you have a recent published scientific paper on this? Or is old data? Anyway batteries will also develop dramatically over the next decade.

Radu likes this.