Rodents in public garage | FerrariChat

Rodents in public garage

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by erapp100, Jun 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. erapp100

erapp100 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    Kingston NY
    I keep my car in a public garage for high end cars. They are pretty good about keeping rodents out compared to the average city garage. For the first time in 5 years I had a rats nest in the engine bay. No damage done as I fought it quickly. Popular consensus is ultrasonic devices don’t work, peppermint oil is ok to spay in the engine bay but must be repeated several times a week. I can use traps or poison as it’s a big facility and I get a different spot each time. The garage covered the cost but it was stil a PIA. Any other solutions people have found?

2. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I have had this problem on my 458 and use several lines of defense, the best being a car bag for the winter (not practical in your case), dryer sheets (which seems to help but they do impart some smell), Rodent Stopper spray (works great but smells bad; I spray it in a perimeter around the car which I think you'd be allowed to do).

I read that the peppermint oil spray is the best; I just bought some and have not yet tried it.

3. Carbon Bits

Carbon Bits Karting

Oct 26, 2021
    Ohio, USA
    On one hand, your problem is tricky because it’s a public garage and you switch spots. But on the other hand, there are not many animals there, so if you can keep away/kill the few that are there, you should be good.
    They are climbing not jumping, so they are climbing on tires. Four glue traps, each with a couple peanuts in the center could be a clean, smell-free, and effective solution. It could also help you monitor the population.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is an excellent suggestion.

Of course you could also put up a sign - "No Rodents Allowed, Violators Will Be Prosecuted". :D:D:D

5. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Two of those sticky traps at each tire. When my X5 was new rats got into the engine bay and did thousands of dollars damage.

6. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Product I found effective: Grandpa Gus Mouse Repellent.
    As a back-up, Victor snap traps. Old tech but effective.
    My home is rural, surrounded by trees. I battle mice every year.