Maybe they do melt when they get wet... | FerrariChat

Maybe they do melt when they get wet...

Discussion in '308/328' started by jferazzi, Jun 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jferazzi

jferazzi Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On two occasions now, after my car got wet, the engine started sputtering and stalling. The car in question is an ’85 308 GTS (euro). The first time it happened was after washing the car. I’m always careful not to get too much water on the rear deck lid for fear of it dripping into the engine bay (but the rear deck lid does get somewhat wet). The other time was during a meet up where I was parked outside and it rained. Both times, after driving a little bit, the problem went away and didn’t reoccur on subsequent drives, which leads me to believe water go into something and eventually evaporated once the engine got up to temperature. (I had a similar situation many years ago with a different car when I got a little overzealous rinsing off the engine. Water collected around the plugs and caused the same type of issue). I inspected the engine both times and the seal around the spark plugs seemed tight. And the engine bay, in general, appeared dry. Any other ideas where water might be getting in? Anything I should cover in the future when washing?

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Often when this sort of thing occurs, it's moisture in the distributer. I've owned cars where washing the engine area or driving through standing water would sometimes cause cutting out, a non-start or troublesome start/run afterwards. Popping the dist cap off and a spritz of WD 40/wipe out with a rag always fixed the problem.

You might find it interesting to lift the hood when it is dark out, start the car and spritz some water from a spray bottle onto the dist caps and spark plug wires, and observe for ignition sparks jumping randomly. This is an excellent shade-tree test for secondary ignition insulation issues.

Octonion, jferazzi and Albert-LP like this.
  3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I do think Mike is right: it's a distributor or a spark plug wires insulation issue.
    This said, to prevent this is a good thing to put a thick tarpaulin directly on the engine before washing the car. And remember to remove it, or the car will catch fire when you will restart it...

I always do that before washing my cars.

It would be a good idea also if you leave the car outside and there is a rain possibility.

No problem if it rains when you are driving the car: engine heat will make the water evaporate

ciao

Rosey and jferazzi like this.
  4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The distributors should have rubber boots (part number 118889) to protect them from moisture. Some cars are now missing the boots/covers.

5. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Best not to wash them at all - it just shows up the rust.

Saabguy likes this.
  6. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The single distributor 308’s have a shield that sits over the distributor itself. And an additional shield built into the deck lid. Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino likes this.
  7. jferazzi

jferazzi Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info! Where exactly do they go? What part are they covering?

8. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

It’s a rubber piece that completely covers the distributor itself, similar in composition and design to the covers over the ignition coils. The spark plug wires feed through the boots. There is a picture of the part on the Euro Spares site. Just enter the part number and search.

jferazzi likes this.
  9. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  10. jferazzi

jferazzi Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the picture! Those rubber boots are still intact and in place on my car. Guess I’ll just try to keep it dry…

11. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    This is the correct shield if you have the attachments where the shield mounts to the firewall. I need to find one. Any suggestions?

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Give up on using water at all....there are so many Speed Shine type products, that spraying thru our vents into the spark plug well seals is just asking for it..

And as you see, you got it!
    IMO once the seals are aged, they let water run in, and from there it cycles as steam back into water and rusts everything in the spark plug well.....spring steel contacts in the wire extenders, the plug itslef....

4right and Tvjake2 like this.
  13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's only for the Euro 8 point distributor, please realize...

Tvjake2 likes this.
  14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I used to put a piece of heavy plastic over the engine and also in the front before I washed my Ferrari to keep the water out. It did the trick would keep everything dry.

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I use a polyester shower curtain over the engine - Even though technically the car is having a bath! :D

4right and rob like this.
  16. dillinghamp

dillinghamp Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Does anyone have a still original car with it’s still original fixings for the distributor shield - I know it’s a bit retentive, but I’d be interested to know if there is anything “unusual” about the washers used under the nuts, and under the bolt head (4-off total)?