What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking? | Page 40 | FerrariChat

What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by gh0st0, Oct 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's been incredibly sobering to see. The FLOOD of people headed south out of the park the past few days has been staggering. We pushed up to Colter Bay today, an excellent decision as we saw maybe a dozen other people over about 4 hours. Couldn't have asked for a better day or lunch spot. Had a lovely local Maker's Private Selection pick (absolutely wine & spirits in Columbia MD) with what can only be described as not the worst view in the world. ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Current status, a nice IPA on the Dornan's rooftop. Again the view....not the worst in the world. Grand Teton just......chillin in front of us.

2. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Cracked this guy open today. Didn't know what to expect. It's very interesting dram. The best way I can describe it is that it tastes like someone blended a high proof (115) mixture of bourbon and single malt scotch. I'm not sure I've ever tasted anything similar. Definitely surprising palate considering the inherent boundaries of bourbon. I think that considering the price, this is one of those that you might want to try a glass if it's sold at a bar or restaurant before purchasing a bottle for yourself. I for one really like it and would def buy another bottle if I find one, if only for its uniqueness.

armedferret and GatorFL like this.
  3. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    NbyNW and soulsea like this.
  4. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    aaaand speaking of Blanton's, just got this photo a few minutes ago from a friend over in the UK. I'm headed his way in a few weeks, so he grabbed this to make sure I had one to bring home. what a chap.

pair this with the Japanese bottles my friend over there is bringing back to the states in August, and i'm going to be practically swimming in the stuff.

(not selling any of them, sorry...they're for opening, enjoying, and sharing only :D)

HardTen likes this.
  5. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    armedferret likes this.
  6. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    armedferret and soulsea like this.
  7. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Excellent choice! Having some tonight on a zoom call with Mike and Tim from Blue Run!

8. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    GatorFL and armedferret like this.
  9. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

TTR, Bob Parks, GatorFL and 5 others like this.
  10. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Been enjoying stores with actual selection down here in GA (vice MD).

Weller SR is priced ACTUALLY reasonably (not 80+ like md) and i even saw trace for 25.99 so i'll probably grab one or two of those before i head out.

soulsea, GatorFL and NbyNW like this.
  11. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Work part of the work trip is done (went VERY well and definitely repaired a lot of fractured relationships left behind by my predecessor) and tomorrow is the start of my very scenic route back home. Mostly because I'm going in entirely the opposite direction cause it's a long weekend and I might as well right? :D

First stop NOLA. I should be there around lunch or so, if anyone wants to hit the Garden district for BTAC pours. ;) After that Savannah for a low country and proooooobably a rooftop or three.

Wikdstrate and soulsea like this.
  12. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    HardTen and GatorFL like this.
  13. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    What did you think of the Sam Houston 15?

14. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Loved it. Big fan of the Sam Houston/Calumet Black Rack

15. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Please ignore the grapefruit mule....i'm wandering around savannah on foot today so i suppose a proper southern brunch is in order. Smoke wagon uncut (not sure which batch, GUESSING low 90s) and some fruit juice on the side. ;)

(Nanners foster french toast en route)

Edit it arrived.

NbyNW, jm2, HardTen and 1 other person like this.
  16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i had an old fashion last nite w Woodford reserve. got a pretty good headache. :(

17. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yikes sorry to hear

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that Woodford is over rated. Buffalo Trace is as good a bourbon as you can get without paying for the hipe of other stuff.

GatorFL likes this.
  19. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    NbyNW, HardTen, GatorFL and 2 others like this.
  20. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm not a big fan of the "regular" woodford line but the Double Oaked is a whole different profile and frankly one of my all-time favorites. Trace is the best bottle I've ever bought for under 20 bucks but "maryland mark-up" has me only buying it when out of state.

21. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    If you can find BT in South FL it's around $25 now.

Best I ever got under $20 was Weller Reserve but it's stupid silly now around here if you can even find it, $75-100.

If you're near Kentucky, the best budget bourbon I have had recently is JW Dant BiB. It's Kentucky only but does make it out of there sometimes, there is one store in FL that has it occasionally. If you see it grab one!

armedferret likes this.
  22. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark

I snagged 3 bottles of Weller SR on that same trip for 35 each. Same story in MD, it's STUPID markup. Annapolis NEX had a HUGE shipment of Trace today (naturally lol). Grabbed a bottle and handed it to a friend, he was taken aback. "But this had to set you back at least 40 bucks let me pay you!!" "Nah, it was less than half that, you just go enjoy it kiddo." :p

Great feeling.

HardTen, NbyNW and GatorFL like this.
  23. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
  24. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    well. hot damn.

25. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    This ^^ reminded me of our honeymoon trip to Yellowstone 5 years ago, when we ran into this guy one morning.

Driving/riding in a small early 1930s Roadster, equipped with an early Hemi and no mufflers, even at low idle rumble, made this fellow stop and size us up few times.
    Eventually, with careful/slow maneuvering and little help* from a driver of an Excursion behind us, we finally managed to get by him, but my wife was little freaked until we were several car lengths ahead of him and accelerating away.

* When I was almost abreast with the Bison, the guy behind us realized my predicament and slowly inched his truck between the beast and our Roadster.
    My wife, while almost panicking, kept filming all this with her phone (I told her to do it, no matter what happens, mainly to keep her preoccupied instead of totally freaking out).
    Sorry, I don't have the video or stills from it handy.

NbyNW, soulsea and armedferret like this.