458 - 458 appreciating value thread | FerrariChat

458 458 appreciating value thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458Spider2013, Jun 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458Spider2013

458Spider2013 Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Pete Gregory
    #1 458Spider2013, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Post your theories, anecdotes, and experiences making the case as to why we should hang on to our 458's and never sell in the near future.

Specifically, I've read that the cars are appreciating 12-15% a year being on the brink of collectors item status.

Are there other cars out there performing like this from say Porsche GT2?

When ten year old cars are now selling for the same thing they sold for, it's an exciting time for us but what can this mean for us when Ferrari is committing to move toward electric and the marque is known for ICE.

Are there other cars made within ten years that you know of that immediately vaulted itself into collector status like this?

Where do you imagine the value in 20 years?

Thoughts?

2. 458Spider2013

458Spider2013 Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Pete Gregory
    I see the Dodge SRT Demon which sold for $85K in 2018 are selling for nearly $200k now for a mint low mileage specimen. Not bad at all for an investment into American muscle.

Thecadster likes this.
  3. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

I think if you are expecting 12-15% per year in value appreciation, you will be disappointed.

As the Dodge example above shows, this period in time is not normal. World B Crazy :)

Enjoy the driving experience of a 458 Italia, it is a great Ferrari. But I don't think it will hit those return goals (buy S&P Index Fund), nor will it reach collector status, they made a bunch of them.

Shark01 and Ash Patel like this.
  4. 458Spider2013

458Spider2013 Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Pete Gregory
    Yea that's the take most make on the subject. Its the easy answer. I disagree starting with the fact that the 488 curves are nothing like the 458. The last NA vehicle in the line means something. It doesn't take a genius to chart what happened to air cooled Porsches over the years. It always appears the things we all lusted for in high school always seem to circle back in high desirability when we grow to be able to now afford it. Like the 911, there's no logical reason to believe the 458 won't follow a similar path.

xfrgtr, Beez and 430jm like this.
  5. BillHartman67

BillHartman67 Karting

Sep 25, 2021
    Montvale, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bill Hartman
    Great chart.

Do you have one for the F8?

6. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Do you have a chart and the numbers pre-Covid? It has been the last N/A car for a while now. You can use your same time frame and chart for a Honda Accord and the numbers may be very similar. Post Covid is not a good gauge for the future of any car as this has been a once in a lifetime event and most cars will probably return to their normal appreciation/depreciation.

Shark01, njcycleguy and Ash Patel like this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Look at those curves when the recession hits.

Regardless I say so what ? If you have a 458 and are happy with it so what if the value goes up 100% . What you gonna do ? Sell the car and what ? You no longer have that beloved car.

If your upgrading to a new Ferrari well thats a different story. I would be correct with my conclusion you are happy with your 458 and think its the best by your comment on the 488 GTB.

Frankly again so what ? I laugh when a VW 4 pot makes a 458 look like its going backwards.

So congratulations on your 458 spider, hopefully you bought it new back in 2013 and enjoy her to the full.

Shark01, 3POINT8 and Il Tifoso like this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Of course he doesn't as it doesn't fit his narrative.

Ash Patel likes this.
  9. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    There are 2.17 times as many USD in American bank accounts since June 1st, 2012. 458 prices have not kept up with monetary inflation.

Can I imagine the value in twenty years? Probably still won't keep up with how quickly money and credit is created.

Dewinator likes this.
  10. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't understand all threads with 458 owners commenting on values of their cars. have not seen any other forums or even owners of other Ferrari specific models beeing that obsessed with their value of the car (seems like wishfull thinking almost).
    I also own a 458, on my second one actually, but it's not an investment neither a collectors item, too many of them made, as collector item I have a better car for long term investment and it's not a 458.

Shark01, MANDALAY, LVP488 and 2 others like this.
  11. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Lol
    Thats the real dilemma
    Your car goes up but you love it so its meaningless

MANDALAY likes this.
  12. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    So here is the pre-Covid graph of the 458. From 2017-2021 it was still the last N/A car. If the standard for collector car status is appreciating 12-15%, I guess a Kia Forte needs to be on the list. My point, as I stated above is you can’t look at Covid numbers. With that being said the 458 is an incredible car. I miss my 458 Spider, just for the scream of the exhaust. I do not miss the stickies or the performance but nothing will ever replace that sound. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ash Patel and Thecadster like this.
  13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Fchat now competing with Rennlist for sheer quantity of value threads.

3POINT8, rw99, Ash Patel and 4 others like this.
  14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

At least they haven’t started another 458 sounds better thread. :rolleyes:

3POINT8, MANDALAY, Ash Patel and 2 others like this.
  15. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    But the new cars have GPF and I won't drive it out of sheer protest. LOL

Ash Patel and Cigarzman like this.
  16. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    But the opposite is also true. Things go up, things go down, but the prices of Ferraris, particularly 458’s have gone up. Perhaps it’s not as sound a conventional investment as stocks, but it’s hard to argue it’s been a good investment over the last two years, and stocks are certainly taking their day in the ****storm now. And there are plenty of pretty compelling analyses of 458 values continuing to go up that at least it’s a strong possibility that they’ll perform stocks in 2022.

And finally, it’s a hell of a car. Yes, it sounds way better than a 488 or an F8 and you can’t really use the extra speed unless you’re on a track. And yes my other car is an 812, so I know that more modern cars are faster.

xfrgtr and 458Spider2013 like this.
  17. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    Well, it does lol!

xfrgtr likes this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

OH Brother

Cigarzman likes this.
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I have a feeling that the car is new to him. Well before these increases. Maybe he needs some sort of gratification that he made a good choice ?

Cigarzman and mkraft3003 like this.
  20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Bull trap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

italiafan likes this.
  21. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    So I’ll buck convention here and announce I’m one of the few who’s car has depreciated in value. 20 track days and 37,000 hard miles do take its toll after all. Any takers? Hey, it still sounds great .

And when I’m done with this one, I’ll start on the poor STO or the F8 next. It won’t be pretty…….

Extra torque and speed in a a 458? Haven’t found either of them on the tracks I’ve been on. We’re running most of the Tricky Triangle at Pocono, and those sweeping, banked turns allow you to ring it out to just under 160, which is fast enough in a street car.

Here’s @FerrariCognoscenti at Pocono with the 458 before the start of the FCA event……..

22. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

23. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    I used to own a 458 and loved the car. That said, this is funny. Never gets old.

Cigarzman likes this.
  24. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Truth be told , I owned one for 3 years too. Lol

RoadRonin likes this.
  25. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    they are new to the brand and having fun