F1 is getting boring(again) | FerrariChat

F1 is getting boring(again)

Discussion in 'F1' started by 375+, Jun 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Between red flags, safety car periods, virtual safety car periods and DRS F1 is becoming a bit of a bore again. I was very hopeful that the new formula would help(it has) but almost all of the critical passes take place via DRS, luck at timing pit stops with safety car periods, red flags etc.
    I would like to see a race--perhaps just a sprint race--run this season with DRS disabled on all cars. We might see who has driving chops and who doesn't?

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    You're just upset mate that Ferrari isn't winning, so am I

If they disabled DRS we would go back to the old days of "parade laps" which REALLY bored me to tears .... even when Ferrari were winning :)

stavura, Maranello993, furoni and 3 others like this.
  3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Red flags have made P1-2-3 unwatchable.
    Domination has made the races unwatchable.
    Constant blather from the purported talking heads does not help either.

4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    One thing is already obvious: the aero changes were not enough. Overtaking is still very dependant on DRS, and even worse, sometimes DRS is not enough and only cars on fresh tyres can pass.

Well, at least they look better.

Maranello993 and william like this.
  5. Javierix

Javierix Karting

Jun 13, 2022
    Full Name:
    Javier
    I’m pretty new to F1, but I found the last race to be very entertaining (though admittedly a big part of it was the weird qualifying due to wet conditions plus LeClerc starting from behind).

More than bored, I’m frustrated by Verstappen driving so well. So many laps without a real mistake is pretty damn impressive. Hard to beat him once he’s taken the lead.

I’m also frustrated with Ferrari’s crappy pit stops. I now fully expect them. You’d think this would be something relatively easy to fix. But that’s another thread.

SimCity3 likes this.
  6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Early in the Canadian race the talking heads were saying that DRS was too powerful............

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Even Verstappen said: "We still need DRS to overtake".

I think these new aero rules are more trouble than they are worth. They haven't solved anything.

Maranello993 likes this.
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

And most other races except MoneyCo!

9. DF1

+1000000000000000000000000000

10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    No magical rules could provide entertainment every races.Formula one isn’t and never will be WWE fortunately.
    The only problem is a dominant team or driver killing all suspense.
    If Charles managed to come back everyone would find the new rules attractive believe me !

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    DRS is the biggest problem in racing right now. The current regulations where designed with DRS in mind whilst they should've aimed towards removing it.

DRS's biggest problem right now is (aside from it's existence) that there are detection zones. A driver right now simply refuses to overtake in a place where DRS isn't available because he knows his hard work will be instantly removed in a few corners time, due to the guy he just overtook getting DRS now and re-passing him. If anything, the short term fix would be allowing DRS for the car behind for the entire lap, wherever he damn pleases, so long he's less than 1 second behind (either at finish line or mini sectors). But the goal should be to move to deleted DRS altogether.

A sprint race with DRS for everyone or simply no DRS for anyone (since DRS for anyone would be the same as no DRS) would definitely be something I'd be interested to watch.

The fact that it exists in spec lower formula is beyond me. It now teaches these young drivers lazy overtaking. No amount of yelling from the commentators will make these overtakes exciting.

Narrow the cars by 20cm, narrower tyres, tuck in the front wing, remove at least 100kg of weight. We can follow close now but the cars are overweight pigs. They look slow, they look awful in the slow corners.

Regarding red flags/VSC/SC...they are enormously frustrating. My guess is F1 is afraid of being sued (again). But worse is there's no real metric to know if/when a SC/VSC happens...and so often especially this year we've seen VSC turned into SC and the only reason I can think of this happening is purely to artificially spice up the race. Only once this year was the transition from VSC to SC correct, and that should've been an obvious SC. It makes watching it extremely frustrating as F1 is making a lottery out of it.

The rules made are a step in the right direction, but the obvious things I had my doubts on when the rules where announced seemed to have all come true. The worrying thing is, if I as an armchair observant can see it, how can the idiots that write the rules not see it?!

SimCity3, stavura, watt and 4 others like this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Essentially what I'd love to see is a 2008 style F1 car with the aero side cleaned up (removal of trinkets, bargeboards, simplify the wings) and a small venturi tunnel.

Engines were cheap and sounded good, cars were light and looked amazingly fast, cars were small and looked great.

500drvr, stavura, Zeus and 3 others like this.
  13. DF1

We dream of this. Liberty and the teams have no such plans. F1 lacks a Long term identity in the face of global transportation change. They don’t see the literal writing on the wall by forces they will not sway in the longer term outlook

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Electric is not the answer for racing, no matter how hard the FIA pushes it. Let Formula E exist for those that want it and the manufacturers that need to spend their marketing budget can waste it there. Looking at the numbers for Formula E, I can absolutely guarantee you that if F1 was to switch to full electric, this whole franchising of the teams F1 has in their head and make an F1 team worth billions will fail miserably. To put this in perspective: In the UK the free to watch Formula E race was watched by 44K viewers on youtube, whereas the W series race was watched by 58K on the same channel. Formula E is filled with well known and extremely talented drivers yet couldn't even reach the low standard viewership numbers set by W series, filled by largely unknown drivers in a low spec F3 car.

For me it's quite simple, the 2026 proposed move to even more electrification is totally wrong. F1 thinks that focusing on electrification may bring them a broader audience in as the world's shifting to a more environmentally friendly everything, but they're not reading the room, and especially not their room. The environmentalist way does not seek to have an exciting but environment friendly motorsport, they seek to abolish it altogether. Right now they moan about engines, but once they've gotten rid of that, they'll moan about where the batteries come from, and that they drive on rubber tyres, and getting to the circuit. Bend to their ways and the sport is going one way only: A slow death.

F1 needs to make their mark on the world in a different way, and that's first of all to use facts and figures to show the Ecomentalists what is what, they love to ''educate'' the world but only use an extremely distorted picture so that the world bends to their way and their way only. F1 is a large enough platform to bring some sanity back into the conversation.

We can have noisy engines with loads of power, just run in on synthetic fuel. Force all the teams to have their trucks be hybrid/electric. Have the calendar organized in something that makes sense travel wise to limit cost/eco damage (something I believe they're doing for next year already). Plant trees to offset the entire season's eco damage to balance it all out or something. They won't have that if they kill the sport.

15. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Bas
    You don’t understand something.
    Ecologists are in fact marxists in disguise.
    They hate car because it represents individualism and freedom.
    Their ultime goal is to replace individual car with public transports.
    Unfortunately our politicians follows this mortal agenda.
    Formula one and luxury car brands won’t escape this tragic fate..

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Oh but I fully understand exactly what they are...

jpalmito likes this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You people still watch F1? Amazing.

18. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    There is a section in P&R for such comments.

Spend $15.00 and go there.

19. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I've been an F1 fan all my life. Things are never perfect but that's what we talk about here. No reason for you to slag the entire group with a snarky post.

tfos750, Boomhauer, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  20. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    24 hour ban, P&R in F1

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’ll “slag” whomever I want, just as you do. ;)

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Camon guys, this is even funny! When Charles was winning there was peace and love all around, now that things have gone wrong, we are picking on each others like a bunch of spoilt brats. Let's take a deep breath, I'm sure Charles will soon be winning again, maybe it's too late, but don't discard him just yet, i still believe we have the fastest "driver/car" combo, and we will fight Max hard. Let's not give up just yet!

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The new Netflix F1 fans won't be around for the long term. They will get bored with F1 at some point and move on to the next thing.

Makes too much sense. ICE=bad

+1

Bas likes this.
  24. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    For me F1 should be about advanced technology, not just about "racing". Hybrid cars are the present and the near future, so pretending that this does not exist is like when Nascar kept using carburettors in the 21st century.

Having said that, they could do a very different hybrid car than what they have now. In a few words, to improve racing and overtaking, the cars probably should be much slower than what we have now, and that would bring a knock-on effect in all other lesser formulae, as F1 is supposed to be the fastest.

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Huh?