How to remove the steering pump? | FerrariChat

How to remove the steering pump?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by raemin, Jun 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    As I am 200km away from my mechanic, the steering pump has decided to flood my garage. Anyone has experience on hos to remove the pump from the engine bay. Is it possible without a lift?

Thanks in advance!

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Whoops, it's the servo I want to remove, not the pump! (pump would be much easier obviously)

3. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Hello, do you mean the steering box?

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Yes, that is the steering gear. Mine came out relatively easily but there is more to the story. First difficulty was removing the steering arm at the bottom. I ending up buying a new set of "pickle" forks and one of them did the trick with a good solid whack. Note that the bottom of the unit is a tapered fit into the bracket on motor. I think I removed the gear and bracket together and then separated the two on a bench. It came out quite easily.
    Why was I removing it? I ran our of adjustment on the top bolt and I found a used unit to replace it. I went to the shop that had the replacement unit. In his case the steering gear was frozen into the bracket. He had to use heat, hydraulic pusher/puller, large hammers to separate the unit from the bracket! It finally cam out after 1-2 hours. He was careful (I was watching) not to force any of the mechanical components. Based on this experience I coated the replacement unit with NeverSeez on the tapered mating services on steering gear and bracket. My hope is I never have to remove it again.
    CONCLUSION: it may be easy to separate gear from bracket or it may be real difficult. If you only need to change the bottom seal, you can probably do it with the steering gear in the bracket.
    Good luck.
    Ken

Schumi and raemin like this.