360/430 Spider Hardtop Mold Complete! | FerrariChat

360/430 Spider Hardtop Mold Complete!

Discussion in '360/430' started by EastMemphis, Jun 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 EastMemphis, Jun 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    I've been working on this project since I got my car nearly three years ago. Today, was the make or break moment when it was finally time to separate the two halves of the mold, or at least attempt to do so. If the mold was improperly made, or the parting line incorrectly selected, the mold becomes a tomb to the foolish aspirations of an engineer. If it comes apart, then it's on to the next step.

Here's the original plug:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's the completed mold, potentially, the tomb for the plug if it doesn't want to come apart.

The things sticking up on the outside of the mold surface are mount points for the mold support structure (not shown). The mold support structure assures that the shape of the mold doesn't change. Fiberglass is pretty flexible and without some way to be sure, it can flex. That would be bad.

This is the largest mold I've ever made and the one with the most riding on it. If the mold didn't come apart because of some screw up, I would have had to use a chisel and hammer to break it apart and that would have done a lot of damage, probably enough for me just to put it on a shelf and pretend it never existed.

Surprisingly, the mold came apart easily.

Here's the outer mold.

The greenish film that's bubbling up is mold release PVA (Poly Vinyl Alcohol) which cleans up with water.

Here's the inner mold.

The clay is a spacer that's the thickness of the inner and outer castings so that the labor to attach the two halves is minimized. The clay just scrapes out. There's a coating of PVA on this side too.

Note the waviness of the inner mold's surface. That's because the plug has a concave shape which is really difficult to get smooth. I did the best I could and decided that instead of killing myself trying to fix it, I'd just wait until I had the mold, which is a convex shape and MUCH easier to get smooth and ripple free. It's going to be covered by a headliner anyway but just looking at it makes me cringe.

Both molds need to be cleaned, polished and prepped before a casting can be made. The first casting is going to be an inner, which has all the mounting points and interfaces to the car. With this inner casting, I can fit all the parts using a sort of two dimensional version of the hardtop. It will also be transparent. Once the holes and cutouts are all mapped to this casting, I can transfer those holes and cutouts to the mold so that the castings have that in place right out of the mold.

I still have a tremendous amount of work and engineering to do before this project is complete. I've got prototypes of some of the seals and trim and the latches. They all have to be finalized, molds made and casting methods developed. I have no idea how long that's going to take.

It's inevitable now, I will make a hardtop for 360 and 430 Spider models.

Please don't ask anything about buying one. That's so far down the road that pricing and availability is impossible to know. If you want to discuss the process, absolutely. I have a wealth of information on fiberglass, mold making, how to screw up and even how to succeed.

(Yay!)

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Looks good. Great work wow

EastMemphis likes this.
  3. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Congratulations! That looks incredibly amazing!

That you made this by hand, with this level of success is mesmerizing.

Absolutely beautiful!

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Sheesh. That’s some engineering right there. Big kudos to you and your passion! Any schematic drawings on what it looks like on the car?

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I have some old ones but the top shape has changed so much that they aren't representative. Oddly, I have no pictures of the current version on the car. The plug is never going back on the car since I had to delete all the mounts to make the mold. It will be a while, probably towards the end of the process, before I have a representative unit that's shiny and painted worthy of posting a picture.

I made this video breaking the mold apart. It's a bit like watching paint dry. I found it exciting.

hessank, rizzo308 and LorenzoR like this.
  6. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Thank you for the video, now I can see how it all goes together. That's amazing that that works like that, very cool.

7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    My gosh that's amazing.

EastMemphis likes this.
  8. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nice work John. I did some fiberglass work myself for a couple years building boats. I don't miss it.

EastMemphis likes this.
  9. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    That's some serious skill.
    :)

LorenzoR and one4torque like this.
  10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Genius niche market idea!

Offer an alt for aging failing tops.

can this replace the complex top?

EastMemphis likes this.
  11. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Well done

EastMemphis likes this.
  12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Here they are all cleaned up.

The inner mold needs a bit of work. The defects will be A LOT easier to fix then the plug. Both molds are good and solid, accurate and without apparent defects. I'm sure somewhere there's a problem but at this moment, I haven't found it.

Speaking of the plug, it came out with a tiny bit of damage along the front lip from a wedge but since the thing is little more than an art piece now, it hardly matters. If I want to mount the thing on the wall, I'll probably leave it as it is for posterity...

mwstewart and colorfull like this.
  13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
  14. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    That is just so bloody fantastic!

EastMemphis likes this.
  15. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I finally finished the support structure for the inner mold.

Lots of triangles. The support structure needs to be rigid and strong. I used three 2x4's to make it. I made this stand lower so I can work on it sitting down. It's standard table height. The inner mold has a lot more detail, sharp corners and indentations which need close attention. Sitting down will take some of the strain out of it.

rizzo308, fossilfuel and colorfull like this.
  16. romeo7

romeo7 Rookie

Oct 13, 2020
    Great job! Very impressed with the quality work to date.

EastMemphis likes this.
  17. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Phenomenal determination! Extremely impressed!

EastMemphis likes this.
  18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    When can we see this sitting on the car?

LorenzoR likes this.
  19. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Can't wait to this this fitted to a car. Nice work John.

colorfull likes this.
  20. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Bravo! That's putting true God-given talent to good use!

mullin likes this.
  21. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures the last time I fitted the plug to the car. The plug won't ever go back on the car since I had to delete all the mounting points to make the mold. So the next time I'll have something that can be photographed will be when I have the first casting finished, painted and trimmed out. I have no idea when that will be but it will be towards the end of the process. I have some very old pictures before I did the final shaping but they aren't representative. This is a very long process without a lot of visual satisfaction. Sorry.

The next phase, which is upon me, is to build just the inner mold and fit all the latches and trim. It will be a sort of two dimensional version of the hardtop that will be transparent. With this, I can accurately place the cutouts and fill-ins for the latches and finalize the trim. From this process, I'll modify the molds to accommodate the mount points so the next casting will have all that stuff placed properly.

I can also use this transparent 2d version to test fit on other Spiders. That will be a major goal for the near future. The darn thing fits on my car but does it fit on any other? Huge question. If I was working with a Corvette or a Porsche, that wouldn't be an issue but the Spiders are essentially hand made. How much variation exists between builds, years, models? Something I really need to know.

hessank likes this.
  22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    So much tease! Great product idea.

EastMemphis likes this.
  23. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Totally get it mate. Cant rush these kinda jobs great work.

one4torque and EastMemphis like this.
  24. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Can it be stowed in car when removed?? Pardon id already answered

I love spiders but soft tops i hate
    I would just never own a soft top

25. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    It's rather big so no way to store it in the car at this time.

The plan is to make the one piece model first. If I like making hardtops, something I haven't quite decided yet, then I might make a version that splits in half and folds up to store in the frunk. That was my original idea but it's too complex to attempt as a first model.