Initial Observations After Finally Receiving Car | FerrariChat

Initial Observations After Finally Receiving Car

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Glenn Quagmire, Jun 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    My AF spider finally arrived on the same delivery as my Portofino M, despite the two cars being ordered and built many months apart. The SF90 was actually produced in December, but took a very long time to reach the U.S.

Anyway, I'm thrilled at how comfortable the car is. In full disclosure, I've only driven it about 175 miles thus far. But, even in race mode (which I prefer for all of my cars) with race seats, the SF90 is every bit as comfortable as my F8. While not really getting on the car hard yet, I can feel a discernable difference in quickness between these two cars.

Sight lines from the cockpit are very good, and surprisingly, the rear view isn't bad. Speaking of the race seats, they're exactly what I expected, given I also have them in the F8. The interior is a definite step up from the F8 (which I happen to think is also well sorted). The design is clean and room seems generous. I feel like there's actually a bit more space in the pedal area with the SF90 than the F8, which is nice. Interior storage though, is definitely not there...especially given there's no glove box with the AF package. While I don't mind, I certainly would pick another of my better suited options for long trips requiring "stuff." Inside the car, there's room for a FOB, wallet, phone, and case for sunglasses. My nice leather tote bag, either sits on the passenger seat or in the frunk. But, as we all know, there's limited space in the frunk. I'm disappointed that there's not even a really good place to stow the manuals. They're left to slide around in the frunk...

From an aesthetic perspective, I feel like SF90's always look so much better in person than images or video. I know the design language doesn't resonate with everyone, but it works quite well in my tiny brain. The proportions are fantastic.

Overall, I'm impressed with the car so far. BUT, there are some annoying things I've experienced in the short time I've owned it: 1. Bad squeak in the retractable roof when closed...requiring the stereo to be turned way up to. 2. Bluetooth randomly disconnecting with my iPhone. 3. Clock not always syncing to correct time (and apparently, an inability to manually set it). 4. Forward crash detection constantly going off and changing the dash screen even when nothing is close. 5. Small removable cover for the tow hook opening under the front bumper doesn't fit properly. 6. Placement of voice command button on steering wheel means that it is sometimes activated inadvertently. 7. WLM Driver Failure, which apparently has something to do with the driver's side window motor.

2. Congrats.

I am wondering if you've had a chance to drive the 296, and whether you would be able to shed some light on the differences between the two?

john a barnes and Glenn Quagmire like this.
  3. Cocoloco

Cocoloco Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Well done. More pictures interior seats would be great.

Agree pics videos do not do the SF90 justice - the cars stance and presence is massive.

4. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well done!

Re storage, my father hated exotic and luxury cars, but as his colleague said “all you need is your wallet and a pack of condoms, the rest will sort itself out”

5. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I've also ordered G Monte Carlo, what is you interior color, Nero? Please post pics of the seats when you get a chance.

In my Pista coupe I had horrible squeaks with the top up and and clunking sounds when putting the top down. Service said it's all due to lack of lubrication. After they lubed the right spots, its been quiet since. Hopefully they'll get that sorted out for you as well. Also sounds like they may have to "reflash" the software to get rid of the electronic issues.

john a barnes and Glenn Quagmire like this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! The color suits the car very well, it really highlights the lines.

Im not sure about all the issues, but I do think in the menus you can make it that the touch buttons on the steering wheel are deactivated after a few seconds, thus avoiding accidental engagements.

sd dave and Glenn Quagmire like this.
  7. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Correct, first thing my dealer did for me. Think 15 secs is the shortest setting, very handy to do..

Caeruleus11 and Glenn Quagmire like this.
  8. Glenn Quagmire

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Here ya go. FYI, I did the dream line on the paddles and matching center stripe on the steering wheel, along with gold stitching. Subtle accents for the interior, as the exterior is already pretty loud.

9. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Beautiful spec.. ok so it’s true then AF Option on Spider doesn’t come with Carbon Door Panels then, unlike the AF Coupe which does.. I know it’s covered before but what was the reasoning behind this again?

10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I really hate the voice command featues on all cars, does anyone even use them? i've never witnessed anyone using them anyway and the buttons are always positioned in a way where its easy to accidentially hit them

Glenn Quagmire and ryalex like this.
  11. Joe M

Joe M Karting

May 17, 2018
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Looks absolutely stunning and warmest congratulations!. I just got my ordered Roma couple weeks ago and has similar haptic controls and infotainment system. It does take some getting used to but not without quirks. For instance, even though my radio setting is left on a Sirius station, the car will sometimes start up in FM.

Glenn Quagmire likes this.
  12. jnunberg

jnunberg Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    USA

13. jnunberg

jnunberg Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    USA
    Stunning Spec!! I ordered mine without the stripe as well. Drive it in good health.

14. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Oh sweet Jesus, what a nice looking car!!!

15. Glenn Quagmire

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    I do have a deposit on a 296 GTS, but have not had an opportunity yet to drive one. As an occasional daily, I imagine they’re quite similar. On track (which I wouldn’t do with either), my brain says the 296 is more nimble, and the SF90 is faster. From the perspective of what’s more rare and special, the SF90 wins. But, I do look forward to sampling the 296 soon…it seems fantastic.

16. Glenn Quagmire

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    At the time of ordering, I was told it was a homolgation issue. Whether true or not…or if it’s still the case, someone with more knowledge here will hopefully answer. If I recall, I couldn’t do Alcantara on the door panels either, so I settled for doing just the door pulls.

17. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    The reasoning is the air bag. It is in the door as opposed to the roof in the Stradale. This was my suspicion, and TM confirmed it the other day. It's a bummer!

18. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Thank you for the explanation…

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congratulations! Your car is a beauty! Appreciate your review.

Many people here have been decrying this car (as well as the 296) as Ferrari somehow having 'lost their way.' I got to experience the SF90 at Sonoma Raceway last year and thought it was every bit a Ferrari and came away quite impressed. That said, I only had 30 minutes with the car, so it could have been just infatuation.

As an owner of several Ferrari, do you feel Ferrari somehow lost its mojo with this car?

Kindest regards, and I will now shut up and listen.

20. Glenn Quagmire

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Thank you!

As for whether Ferrari has lost their way in the eyes of some, my thought is that the SF90 feels very much a Ferrari. My guess is that the vast majority of those that own and have lived with the car would agree. I took a friend who was a skeptic for a drive the other day, and he was blown away. He said that his opinion of the car prior to seeing it in person, was formed largely by way of youtube reviews. Upon viewing it in the flesh, he said it looked much better than he expected...and fit with what he's come to expect from Ferrari. In particular, the rear has little similarity to the Camaro, as some journo's have chided designers about. Following a drive, he was impressed with the comfort, despite how hardcore the car really is. He also commented on how cool the tech was, and the bizarre ability to drive a Ferrari in full electric...without any ICE note. Overall, his impression was very different than what he anticipated before arriving.

I can say that when this car was launched, it took some time to warm up to it. Especially with the Assetto Fiorano livery. In fact, I'm in the camp that doesn't love that arrangement, but very much appreciate that it's available to those that prefer it. Once I saw a stradale in person and was able to climb into the cockpit, I was reassured that this really is a Ferrari...and I made the right decision to pull the trigger.

After living with the car now for a bit, and having it parked right next to my F8, I can say the SF90 truly is a mid engine supercar worthy of the prancing horse badging and shields. In fact, it really looks, feels, and drives more special than the F8. And, I LOVE the F8. Of course, I'm biased. But, I have owned lots of supercars that have quickly become disappointing for one reason or another.

With regard to the Ferrari design language, I happen to understand and appreciate where things are headed. The drive toward hybridization and EV's most certainly impacts the form of today's Ferrari's. As the founder and CEO of a global environmental infrastructure firm, who works in the field of lithium concentration and power production, I will simply say that the world is not ready for the EV revolution. There are many factors that the masses (including our elected leaders) clearly don't understand. In fact, I view EV's as a short term strategy and believe hydrogen is a much better solution. The reason comes back to water, which no one is talking about...but will quickly figure out. Having said this, Ferrari is forced to live with the requirements to move toward EV, which Enzo certainly hadn't contemplated. The expectations and regulations manufacturer's face is daunting. So, I appreciate the work that Ferrari's engineers and designers are doing, to live within today's confines, while incorporating the DNA which makes this brand more special than any other automobile in the world. No matter, it will never appeal to everyone.

Bmill, ouzo12, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  21. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Great write up, thank you.

Most of these journo's spend a few hours with the car and don't get to enjoy them on a daily basis or frequently enough to really get the essence of what a Ferrari is. I think most of us that have owned various makes of the Ferrari brand will agree that while each model is slightly different in its own regard, they all have a common-ness that is acknowledged by those that have been driving them long enough to feel it with each drive. Each model has its own purpose, track focused, GT cruiser etc..

To me personally, these You tube reviewers are no different than restaurant or movie critics, just cause they didn't like it doesn't mean you won't. To each his own.

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    THANK YOU FOR A GREAT REVIEW.

I feel the SF90 represents a level of performance that is simply awe-inspiring. The sheer violence available to the owner is breathtaking.
    I've not seen any negative reviews outside this forum, which surprised me when I read them. All the odder given, I thought the lap times and straight-line numbers I've witnessed are near the top of the class. So much so, I argue the variances come now down to driver skill with the top echelon cars.

I never agreed with the Camero appearance critique. I think the most some can say is they dislike the noncircle lights, but this is not the first time Ferrari has gone this route. The iconic Testarossa is the best example.

In terms of EV, I agree that it won't happen overnight. This is exactly why I'm so heartened that Ferrari will have Hybrid and Full ICE for folks in regions where a full EV simply makes no sense.

By the way, we also own Hydrogen and Full EV - (and ICE). Love em all!

Thanks again for your excellent review, and I appreciate folks with your background giving real-world experiences.

With gratitude,
    Paul

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    A Mirai or a Clarity?

paulchua likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Nexo!

REALZEUS likes this.
  25. Glenn Quagmire

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Curious about your thoughts on the Nexo and hydrogen in general?

paulchua likes this.