Intermittent heat (Harry Metcalfe, you out there?) | FerrariChat

Intermittent heat (Harry Metcalfe, you out there?)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Jay535, May 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    My ‘88 Testarossa always makes good cabin heat until the thermostats open, then it fades. Sometimes revving the engine hard brings it back for a few minutes, but then it’s gone again.

In Harry M’s YouTube video of his trip to south France in his Testarossa, he describes the same problem.

Anyone know the fix for this? Harry, if you’re reading this, what did it turn out to be?

I couldn’t identify Mr. M’s handle on this site, or I’d be writing to him directly.

I just had the cooling system renewed by top pros, so the thermostats are new and the system is likely bled properly.

Any ideas?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think there is air in the cooling system and when less rpm the air prevents the water from circulating. had this on a lotus once

3. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    This is what I suspected too. But a top shop has recently evacuated and refilled the cooling system and the problem is still there, so now I’m not sure.

But, yeah, the symptoms to me seem like a big air bubble blocking coolant flow to the heat exchanger except when the water pump speed is very high.

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    may be the waterpump impeller is damaged and so less water will get circulated in the system?
    do you you see at the temperature gauge a difference between the heating works and not works?
    is this "no heating" problem only when you drive with low rpm or also when the car is standing and idling? if so what will happen when you raise the rpm when the car is standing?
    if you have an infrared thermometer you may check the temperature at the 2 radiators top and down and also the heating hose going to the front.

you mean for sure the shop has refilled and then evacuated? evacuated on all 3 bleeders?

what also could be that the heating hose coming from the engine may be bent/snapped off somewhere?

5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Another failure mode is crud blocking your heater hose flow. My heater hoses were disintegrating on the inside so I replaced them.

Qavion and turbo-joe like this.
  6. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    @turbo-joe

• The water pump was rebuilt, too, so that’s not it.
    • Happens at both low RPM and idle
    • I don’t know exactly what the shop did, but I trust them to do it right. That said, even a pro can get an air bubble.
    • Engine was just in and out, so all the hoses are good. Many were replaced.
    @Veedub00 That is plausible, for sure. How hard is that job?

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    may be they used a wrong size impeller?

how many rpm you need to get heat?

8. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    Once the engine is warmed up and the cabin heat has faded, a blip above 5k sometimes gets it warm again for a few minutes.

9. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    my car use to do this. the thermostats get lazy. They will open at 190-195 but never really close until the engine is cold again. So when I would drive when it was cooler out, the the engine temp/coolant would go right down because there is still coolant going through the rads and not recirculating through the engine and heater core. Change them both. Easy job. You don't need to take the engine out :)
    Barry

tf308 likes this.
  10. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Jay535, a couple of thoughts. Did your mechanic orient the new thermostats with their bleed holes pointed to the top of the thermostat housing to vent air? See picture below. In a hot water bath, my 1986 TR original Savara 9.10.358.00 thermostats just "crack" open at 160 and 169 degree F and are "fully" open at 180F. They will start to close below 180 degree F. Were your new thermostats tested by your mechanic to be in spec before installation? The Ferrari Owners Manual, page 59, also gives specs for thermostat and cooling fan temp operation. EDoug

Image Unavailable, Please Login

barryr and turbo-joe like this.
  11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Harry and barryr are describing the symptom as the water temp gauge reads low so heating is feeble. Is your water temp gauge also showing a low value when you get the "no heat" condition, or is your heat coming and going suddenly with the water temp gauge always reading ~195 deg F?

barryr likes this.
  12. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am going through this with my 512tr currently.

Before I noticed the problem, I drained and replaced my coolant. I created a vaccum w the harbor freight tool to refill my system. I thought this was the best way.

Afterwards I noticed what you are encountering. I then bled the system with the normal bleed screws and really saw no more air.

However, I did notice that my car would not get up to 195F when I drove it in the cold. This makes me believe that one or both of my thermostats are bad.

I have purchased new ones but have not had time to put them in. I’ll happily report what I encounter.

This is probably even more important on the 512tr because the computers will keep trying to enrich the fuel trim.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

barryr likes this.
  13. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    @Steve Magnusson @EDoug @barryr @tf308

Thank you all for your comments and efforts to help me.

The thermostats are new. Just went in. I did not ask if the bleed holes were in the right position or if the thermostats were tested first. The tech who worked on my car is, I believe, as good as anyone, so I think it’s extremely unlikely that he made a mistake. Unlikely, but not impossible.

HOWEVER, this heating problem predates the thermostat change. It’s exactly the same before and after new thermostats, so I no longer suspect the thermostats. Can’t know for sure, but this seems to me like another reason to doubt the thermostat hypothesis.

To answer the question from @Steve Magnusson , the heat always works from cold. As soon as the coolant needle starts to move off its peg, I have cabin heat. As the needle approaches 12 o’clock, the cabin heat then goes flaky, and remains that way regardless of engine temp until the next cold start.

The whole thing is a bit ironic. The rear of this car has both the appearance and effect of a massive cookout grill ready to feed a July 4 crowd, but none of that massive mirage in my rear view mirror will come inside.

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That is a very unusual situation, and the first report of such an issue that I can recall. The default of the TR hot water valve (if the HVAC system loses power) is to be full open so we often have had reports of heat when not wanted/requested, but not the other way around. A couple of things you might try:

1. Perform the resistance tests at the unplugged HVAC ECU connector described on pages H29 and H30 of the TR WSM -- could be some (wacky) input sensor value is causing the HVAC ECU to intentionally close the hot water valve when it shouldn't. If all those are OK,

2. Next time you want heat, and it goes away, unplug the hot water valve in the passenger footwell behind the passenger footrest, and see if heat returns -- would verify everything with the physical hot water flow is working correctly (if the hot water valve was open). If it does = then things like bad HVAC ECU, or maybe something wacky with a relay/connection on the HVAC unit itself = don't want to go there! ;)

Good Hunting!

15. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    Many thanks for that, Steve. I will try those things.

Can you guide me a bit towards finding that hot water valve, horizontally and vertically in the passenger footwell? Is it nearer the wheel well or the center console? Nearer the floor or the dashboard?

Forgive me if the answer is self-evident on taking a look — I haven’t done that yet.

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's on the RH side of the compartment behind the passenger foot rest. The two pin connector on the top (with the brown and brown-white wires) just pulls off upward (and has no polarity requirement, IIRC, so either way is OK):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe and Jay535 like this.
  17. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
  18. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My thermostats were upside down with the air holes in the 8 o’clock position.

19. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Jay535 likes this.
  20. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
  21. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Lol…sorry it wasn’t more exciting!

That honestly was what I saw for the first time. My 512tr has had 3 engine services in its lifetime by authorized dealers so either 1) anyone can make a mistake or 2) the bleeder hole orientation doesn’t matter that much? You can also see that those are original thermostats by the little plugs used in the bleed holes.

I just wanted to show you guys what I saw.

I still plan to pull the heater electro valve in the cabin and make sure it is clean while the coolant is drained again.

Jay535 likes this.
  22. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Confirmed today that the thermostats were bad.

First, both of the originals were opening much too early.

Second, one of them stuck open as it cooled. It’s easy to miss if you really don’t look for it.

Both of the new ones remained shut and opened fairly sharply around 82c. They also close SIGNIFICANTLY faster when removed from the hot water.

It feels great when you positively find the problem.

Now comes the fun part of putting it back together.

Jay535 likes this.
  23. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
  24. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Happy you found that. Same behaviour as mine before I replaced them
    Cheers
    Barry
    New doesn’t always mean good.

QUOTE="tf308, post: 148606663, member: 2880"]Confirmed today that the thermostats were bad.

First, both of the originals were opening much too early.

Second, one of them stuck open as it cooled. It’s easy to miss if you really don’t look for it.

Both of the new ones remained shut and opened fairly sharply around 82c. They also close SIGNIFICANTLY faster when removed from the hot water.

It feels great when you positively find the problem.

Now comes the fun part of putting it back together.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat[/QUOTE]

25. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I was able to get everything back in the car today.

Car will now get to 195 from an idle and the heat now works.

A few things that I learned

1) You will spend some time laying on your exhaust and engine. It’s pretty close to water boarding after a while.

2) A pair of “coolant hose picks” Astro 9502 on Amazon made life easy. I would just cut the hose at the start.

3) Dielectric grease lube made the installation easier.

4) The 45 degree angle of the valve assembly is so frustrating when you go to reinstall.

5) it’s not fun, but it is possible with the engine in the car.

Lastly, if you have 3/4 inch hose you can test the function of your heater valve. You can blow through it with the key off, but mine closed %100 shut as soon as you turn the key to on.

EZORED and Qavion like this.