USA 512tr vs Euro 512tr | FerrariChat

USA 512tr vs Euro 512tr

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bradley ritner, Jun 24, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bradley ritner

Aug 18, 2020
    Looking at picking up a 512tr. Assuming all things equal, is there a valuation difference between a US vs Euro cars? I’m being told it doesn’t matter but thought I would bring it to the experts. I’m in the US BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    in the USA, USA cars trade for much more than the EU cars. The cars are very similar. People complain about the USA seatbelts, i simply just use the wait strap. I'm biased to cars that were made for the US market.

Rifledriver likes this.
  3. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I HONESTLY like the euro seat belts.

Otherwise, I believe they are the same. I think the US cars have precats and one additional ground pin in the ECU wiring harness (but the ECUs are the same) that signal some type of change.

And the euro ones have cassette holders so that you can still live in the 80s.

4. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the euros are faster ;)

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Euro faster, have slightly more roomy interiors (knee pads, belts, etc), better lights and fog-lights, and generally later versions (i.e. all upgrades/updates) but are much much more common.

A US car w pre-cats removed is essentially the same performance as euro-car. Late spec cars (both US and euro) also share 512M suspension.

US cars command a premium to this day, though this may change (but it hasnt yet)

7. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    I think the condition and mileage of the car will be dominant ahead of USA vs EU Spec. I think it's certainly true that cars in the USA sell for more than cars in Europe (geographic location rather than spec). I have an EU car I imported in April so I am biased, but an individual can have different reasons for going either spec, so just depends on your personal preference.

The cassette holders went away later on production run btw!

Euro Cars:
    - Are generally later production runs (Far more ABS cars in EU)
    - Side Marker Indicator Lights Smaller (no bike reflectors)
    - No Mouse Belts
    - Lighter Front and Rear Bumpers
    - No Pre-Cats
    - Slightly more Aggressive Tune (supposedly)
    - Higher parts availability (1800+)

USA Cars:
    - Easier to order parts in USA for
    - No questions asked on registration/insurance/etc.
    - Easier to trace/validate history

Matter of preference.

blkdiablo33 and 71veedub like this.
  8. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    They were a bit cheaper but with this current car market it may not really make that big of a difference. I would just focus on finding the right car for you. Don’t focus solely on that in my opinion.

9. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I would push back on the “more aggressive tune”

Look at the parts. I thought I remember the ECUs being the exact same part number (no different).

However, the wiring harness IS a different part….which has one less pin.

I know I’m getting old, but I remember looking through this years ago.

Also, there were only 409 total USA 512trs from 92-94. That’s pretty rare.

10. NashGTS

NashGTS Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2019
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Bryan phillips
    For me the compromise between EU and US cars are the Canadian TR’s. They are basically a US car in the engine bay so will pass emissions in all 50 states. The inside is EU without the mouse seat belts and knee pad on the dash so they have more room and the cassette tape holder .

11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    once again, the number of cars built specifically for the usa market is irrelevant.
    no more so than the number for the japanese market.

the cars for the ROW were mechanically the same. the ecu differences are just due to gasoline norms.
    the usa cars had the stupid belts and the extra steel in the doors - these are not advantages.

now that they are all over 25 years old, they are fungible the world over.

71veedub likes this.
  12. MITengineer

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    Practically this is true but some people (rightly or wrongly) still just want a USA car.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  13. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    I’ve been thinking of a 512 tr found a couple for sale but both are euro being the precats are not there will it pass cali smog and inspection and even able to register in cali?

14. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Does Cali. have the 25 year emission exemption?

15. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    1974 and below from what ive read looks like a euro ferrari will have a difficult time to register in cali

16. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    "Your vehicle does not need a smog inspection if your: Gasoline-powered vehicle is a 1975 year model or older"

Montana: the other "cali"

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Lived in California for 58 years and spent my adult life in the car business, most of it in the Ferrari business. Never ever base decisions today on current California regulations. They will never get better. They will happily change the law tomorrow to make it more strict. I would never ever buy a gray market car intending to register it in California, not if a US version was built. Sacramento is full of zealots who have every intention to get rid of every fossile fuel car in the state. TR512s are just not so rare that it makes any sense not to get a US version.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    well said im in the market for a 512 tr and will just wait for the right usa spec car,theres are so many euro cars here since the market exploded too difficult to register it

19. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    a euro 512 tr just sold on bat.love the red carpets

20. MITengineer

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    I'm quite the opposite. I know the USA spec is likely more valuable, but I would never get a USA spec knowing the unfiltered EU is available in USA now. I like the tiny market lights and no mousebelts.

EZORED and willrace like this.