Question about verifying mileage on a used car. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Question about verifying mileage on a used car.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by italiafan, May 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

430jm, mkraft3003 and italiafan like this.
  2. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    Fine, the service manager at FOA is a liar and he has such motivating factors to weigh in.

3. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Not only is he a liar but his mother was a hamster and his father smells of elderberries. :cool::cool: (Not only do I believe him but I’ve heard the same thing from other places).

italiafan and 430jm like this.
  4. Purpleperil

Purpleperil Rookie

Jul 1, 2013
    UK
    No need for any devices to be fitted - my car was returned this week from my dealer, after performing the brake recall, with less miles showing on the odometer than when it went in! Not many miles but less (and fewer than what was recorded a couple of years ago on its MOT and service record - as it's been unused). As you can imagine, I raised the issue immediately with my dealer. The dealer assures me that they have not "clocked" my vehicle and that they have contacted Ferrari Italy about it and I am now awaiting a response (in writing).

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Wow!
    Please update us when you get resolution.

DefunctNeurons and Purpleperil like this.
  6. 250boano

250boano Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2022
    Europe
    Full Name:
    DD
    I'll keep this very vague so as not to give away any identifying information, but the anecdotes are semi-relevant here.
    At a dealer in a land far away we had 2 cars over the years that ran afoul of the MODIS mileage scan on plug in.

Firstly, was a mid-engined V8. Car got dropped off, we plugged DEIS in and the alarm was raised that the mileage had gone backwards. Turns out the owner's son had hopped in the car, taken it for a continental breakfast, brought it back home, had it clocked backwards but went too far. When the car arrived at the dealership mileage displayed less than at the service the previous year. You bet the owner was not particularly impressed with his son.

Secondly, a front engined V12 or sorts. Customer purchased the car, ran it for a few years and we serviced it a few times without issue. One year we plugged it in and the alarm was raised that mileage had gone backwards. He'd decided to chop off a bunch of miles to increase the value, lo and behold it was black flagged.

Ferrari garages, from personal experience, do not play ball in this regard. It's a very simple scenario, if the mileage is lower than the last time they saw it you're in trouble. We certainly never arranged for any car to have it's mileage reversed, or condoned it when we found out about it.

7. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    "If concerned have a Ferrari Dealership (or other associated manufacturer) perform a full vehicle scan, then compare data"

What does this scan report look like?

8. Purpleperil

Purpleperil Rookie

Jul 1, 2013
    UK
    Just an update to my previous post:
    My dealer has now responded with a reply from the FNE "Senior Aftersales Manager" which is repeated below:

"I have reviewed the two downloads from the DEIS and I can confirm that the download does seem to have caused a discrepancy between the original mileage and the second download. We would be happy to correct this, but we will require the vehicle in the workshop to remotely interact via our technical department."

In my instance the discrepancy is single digit miles so there seems little point in an additional 80 mile round trip to the dealer to "correct" it at this stage. The reply doesn't confirm that this issue has been raised with the factory, (doesn't warrant further investigation in their view?) so it will be interesting to learn if others of you experience any irregularities - especially it the glitch is removing (or adding) a random number!

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Wow. You’ll want to get it corrected though going forward it may flag your car which is a headache you won’t want in the future.
    Thanks for sharing.