Spark Plug Tool Dimensions | FerrariChat

Spark Plug Tool Dimensions

Discussion in '308/328' started by Vinsanity, Jun 24, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    Sadly, my 308 long ago lost track of her original tool kit--and with it, the funny little spark plug tool pictured below. Could anyone provide me with the measurements A,B,C in this diagram?

I feel a little silly paying upwards of $400 for something I should be able to build myself (unrefined welding skills not withstanding), but I am also tired of improvising solutions to pulling the 5-8 cylinder plugs that typically result in swivels and extensions coming apart, getting stuck in awkward places, etc. While I could certainly trial-and-error this thing, I figure the original tool is probably just right, so the easiest thing is to start there. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    Mine looks a little different (76 euro RHD) but guess does same job

A = 200mm
    C = 73
    B = 115

hope helps
    John

Attached Files:

3. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I have used off the shelf Craftsman tools to put together a perfectly working combination of tools which has served me well for the past 22 years. .

thorn likes this.
  4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    FWIW: some brands of sockets and extensions are less likely to separate when you're working.

Takes more effort than I prefer to with my snap-ons, but kobalts detach if you even walk towards the car.

5. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    Thanks John -- that does look different from what I've seen before, as the B dimension seems a little long. My current set of swivels and extensions seem to split the ideal length when assembled. That is, either too short to clear the top of the cam cover before the swivel, or too long to sneak easily in and out between the engine and firewall in one piece. Note, I have pulled the plugs many times in eight years of ownership; it's just always a cuss-fess, so I'd like to see if I can make my life easier in at least one small respect.

6. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    And they're so heavy and chunky, they really hurt when the extension falls and lands on your foot!

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It is absolutely useful to know which car we are talking about, as the spark plug tools are differents for each model of the 308.

- First: John's is the "Tommy Bar" type, which corresponds only to carbed cars (and perhaps a few of the very early 2 valve injected).

- Second, be reminded that 308 and 328 do not have the same plugs:
    308 have 14mm plugs, and hence the SPT (Spark Plug Tool) crown is 21mm from one side to the other inside
    328 have 12mm plugs, and hence their SPT crown is only 18mm from one side to the other inside
    This is very important, and it is not easy to distinguish between the two even when they are side by side, to say nothing of seeing one SPT "all alone by itself" on one add, with the seller saying "308 SPT" keeping in mind that very few people actually know that 308 and 328 do not have the same plugs...so you pay 200 of your hard-earned cash, only to find yourself with the wrong SPT...(ask me how I know).

- Third: these things are fairly standard, but not completly identical one to the other.

Have a look at the enclosed pic just taken at the minute.
    The one at left is a 308 SPT (14mm plug / 21mm inside the crown)
    The two at right: these are 328 SPT (12 mm plug /18mm inside the crown)
    Notice how difficult it is to ascertain that the 308 one is bigger that the 328s; and how the two for 328 plug, even if close, are somewhat different.

That being said, however, your ANSWER is:
    308 SPT: A = 170mm; B = 85mm; C=71,5mm
    328 SPT: A = 165mm; B =77,5mm; C=72,5mm (the one measured is the shinier of the two)

Rgds

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Martyt and Vinsanity like this.
  8. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    Wow, thanks for the comprehensive answer. I had no idea that the 328 used a different size. My personal car is a very late QV, and seems to have more in common under the engine lid with the 328 series than to the earlier 2V carbed 308s, so I just assumed it would be the same. Glad I didn't buy one of those expensive OEM tools advertised as fitting all 308-328 from 1975-1989. Sound like you already made that mistake for me. Many thanks!

9. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Always nice to have the correct tools for the car especially for resale. However, now that you have a better understanding of the complexity and cost of these tools, they are rarely used. For spark plug changes, I use the adjustable tool below that I would imagine is available at most tool retailers. You can then select the correct socket size at minimal cost. This will also allow access to the tight spaces in the front of the engine. Image Unavailable, Please Login