Cautionary Tale re: throttle body replacement/calibration | FerrariChat

Cautionary Tale re: throttle body replacement/calibration

Discussion in '360/430' started by Scottslaw, Jun 24, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

(Cliff's notes: if you get throttle-body related codes that suggest one or both may be failing, replace them asap and don't screw around throwing parts at the car blindly as I did, or you may fry your ECU (as I did!)).

Figured I would make a post to share some recent knowledge I've obtained in hopes that others may be able to avoid the mistakes I made and the secondary damage that can occur if you don't properly diagnose and address TB-related calibration issues. This issue has not been frequently discussed on the forums because our throttle bodies are generally reliable, and frankly, most of the cars on the forum have not yet reached mileage levels where throttle body issues are starting to manifest. For reference, my car is a 66k mile 430 scud, but I believe the same issues can afflict both 360's and f430's. I think that is why my searches for the relevant codes did not turn up much, so I wanted to make sure this post would pop up in future searches.

So here is my story. A few months ago I started getting throttle-related codes, frequently followed by the car going into limited rpm limp mode. The codes suggested a throttle pedal sensor (potentiometer) or throttle body "synchronization" issue. The codes were not always the same, but always included P2121 (throttle/pedal position sensor/switch D - Circuit Range/Performance), and later P1197 (throttle body "self learning" fault), and P0226 (Throttle/Pedal Position sensor/switch C -Circuit Range/Performance Problem) I'm no expert, but I believe the system works by throwing codes if the input signals coming to/from the pedal don't match the TB's or if the TB's are not synched up sufficiently close (because one is failing/lagging). When I would get the codes I would clear them (either through my code reader or by doing a battery reset), and the car would drive normally for a while, but the issues would return after some time.

So I started throwing parts at the car. First I got a new pedal potentiometer. That seemed to work for a while, but the codes eventually came back. After a lot of research and checking to ensure my wiring was all good, I decided that the problem was likely a lagging/failing TB causing it to fall out of the acceptable synchronization range with the other TB. I knew the dealer recommends replacing both when this happens, but that just sounded like dealer speak to me so I bought a used one in hopes that it would be in better shape than my 66k mile unit, and figured I'd start swapping it around to see if that worked. Again, it did for a while, but the codes eventually came back. So then I bought a brand new one and tried that, but again the codes returned. By this time the "self learning" code p1197 popping up so I bit the bullet and bought another new TB so I could have two brand new throttle bodies.

I was certain this would cure the problem, but it didn't. The codes came back and it eventually got to the point where the car would go into limp mode pretty much immediately. A bit of additional research revealed that new throttle bodies must be "calibrated" using a factory (or factory-like scan) tool and that a mere battery reset or "soft calibration" after a reset can accomplish (unless you get lucky I guess, and your new TB's are already pretty much perfectly in-sync). So I took the car into my trusted indy to have the calibration done, only to be surprised to learn that the self learning/throttle calibration procedure would not complete using a Leonardo. So the techs went through all the wiring, only to find everything in spec. That left only one item: the engine ecu's. I sourced some used ones (VERY pricey), and lo and behold the calibration completed immediately and the car has been perfect ever since.

More research and input (including some helpful input from Stef at Scud Ing Swiss) revealed that if you have a failing step motor in a throttle body and it is not caught soon enough, you can fry the Motronic ECU. Per Stef " the internal H-Bridge Mosfet driver of a quite old generation really doesn't like to be over-powered by a failing step motor especially when PWM is applied at its gate." I'm not sure exactly what this means, other than if you don't fix a failing tb in time you can screw up your ecu, and that is exactly what happened to me.

So, moral of the story, if you get any of these codes, unless you know for sure that you have a pedal issue that can be resolved by a new potentiometer, I would replace both TB's and then get a proper throttle body calibration done. Otherwise, a bricked ECU may be in your future. Oh well, live and learn. On the plus side, my car feels pretty great with two new TB's, a new throttle position sensor, two new MAF's, and two new 02's! Hope this helps someone!

2. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you Scott for this info, sorry you had to be the guinepig but you are a valuable asset to this forum. I’m always learning from others, that’s what makes this forum priceless.

3. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Thanks for the heads up.

Surprised they couldn't just swap the damaged fetts in the ECU

4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    FYI the throttle pedal has inbuilt redundancy: two pots which are compared for safety reasons with the most sensible output used for reference. I would normally look elsewhere before suspecting the pedal.

Good work fixing the issue and thanks for the write-up!

5. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Love information like this

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #6 EastMemphis, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    @Scottslaw It's too bad you had to relearn what I went through a few years ago. I had the same problem and went through the same steps to a resolution but I was a bit more proactive and instead of throwing parts, I broke down the TB's and figured out not only how they work but also, how they fail. This led to me creating a throttle body tester, which I used to figure out which TB was having a problem and found a matching used unit to replace it with. Using an Autel MS906, I reset the throttle adaptations and that was that.

A year or so later, I started to see limp mode if the car was cold (<50F) and hadn't been driven for a while. That prompted me to create an adapter so I could fit inexpensive yet exactly equal Porsche throttle bodies to my 360. I've been running that setup for the last 500 or so miles and it works excellently.

As for the throttle adaptations, from what I've seen in my investigations, it's really not that important as the ECU figures it out by itself after a while. I've tried new TB's with the reset and used ones without and in neither instance did I see any meaningful change in the TB behavior. I'm sure it's better to reset the adaptations after a TB change but I believe it's relatively harmless to miss this step.

I think the problem started for your ECU after several cycles of resetting the codes. The ECU can only handle something like 6a before the H bridge solder joints melt. Both TB's, when working fine, consume maybe 3a at normal use. When the motor in one of the TB's has a short in the windings, it starts to use more amps to do the job and the ECU just blindly lets it. One short in the windings usually leads to more, so the power consumption just goes up and up until meltdown. That's a self destruct scenario.

I wrote a long and boring article about my experiences with throttle bodies here: https://www.ferrari360.org/2020/07/bosch-throttle-body-replacement.html

My recommended procedure for troubleshooting the electrical throttle circuit would be to first replace the cheap part, the pedal potentiometer, and then reset the codes ONCE. If the codes come back, replace BOTH throttle bodies with new, and reset the adaptations. The factory recommends replacing both for a very good reason. Short circuiting this step is not a good idea. If the codes come back after doing this, it's likely the ECU connections have melted. (Ouch!)

Don't throw away those ECU's. If all you did was melt the solder on the H bridge, that can be fixed by a qualified shop.

For the 360, there are no more throttle bodies available on planet Earth. If you buy one today, it will be used. Used TB's are a crapshoot as any electrical gadget 20+ years old is going to be sketchy at best.

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

20% throttle?

EastMemphis likes this.
  8. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

You guys are all correct. And yes, I’m going to keep the ecu’s just in case. Sadly they were replacements themselves as they had 2016 date codes on them. The first replacement was necessitated when the car was jumpstarted backwards years before I got it (verified through service records) and fried both ECUs and the TCU. So I’m sure they are still good other than the burned up bridge part thingy! Been driving it like crazy last couple days. These things straight up rip.

catdog and EastMemphis like this.
  9. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    EastMemphis , fantastic write up , really appreciate that , great info

EastMemphis likes this.
  10. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    seems very rare when components are repaired and not replaced. Probably a factor of warranty, time, cost, etc.

11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’ve been modifying and repairing cars for 33 years… and the unique failure points on this platform exceed the imagination!

what a terrible design

is there no way to protect the unobtainium bespoke ecu’s from current over load? Put a fuse in the harness?

love the cars hate the fundamental logic architecture….

12. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Buy a porsche

13. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thank you for this write up! Great contribution to the community of DYIers.

14. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    #14 CoreyNJ, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    It occurred to me, why can't someone put a fusible link or a current limiting circuit between the ECU and the throttle body. If we have the part numbers for the connectors and the wiring diagram we could make something reversible so that purists won't freak out since it would just plug in-between.

EastMemphis likes this.
  15. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    @CoreyNJ - the danger in a fusible link is one side will burn out while the other remains active. The sudden change from one tb suddenly cutting out could damage the engine. I think a warning system would be better. It could start chirping at 4.5a and screaming at 5.5a. Something impossible to ignore. It could be inductive and just have a sensor wrapped around the motor wire. Totally non-invasive.