1978 GTS Carb. Smart People Help, Please | FerrariChat

1978 GTS Carb. Smart People Help, Please

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dane, Jun 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
  2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    The adjustable rods have ball and socket joints on each ends. Some sockets have an outer spring clip to hold the joint together; others are a snap fit. Since your rods don't have an outer spring clip, I suspect they are a snap fit. Try prying the socket off the ball. Select the end that gives you the best accesss. Use a long nose pliers as a lever so you can get equal pressure on both sides of the socket. Don't change the rod length or you will have to resync all the carbs. Be sure to grease the joint during reassembly.

Dane likes this.
  3. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Hello,

no, these are not snap fit.

There is a split pin inside - you can see the holes in the picture you posted. Remove the pin, and then unscrew the large screw fitting and the ball socket slides off.

absostone, lm2504me and Dane like this.
  4. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Thank you very much, gentlemen. Sincerely. Dane

5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    What are you going to do with the carb after you get it off? FYI, 360 is correct, the end cap unscrews.

absostone and Dane like this.
  6. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    I found a leak coming from the accelerator pump so the plan is to replace the diaphragm….I pulled the 2-1 carburetor and the base gasket was beyond expired….So, I’m thinking of continuing this madness with the Pierce rebuild kits.

Ferrari Tech likes this.
  7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Those little pins are tiny and a pain...just make sure not to drop them in the carb. Even between the carbs is a pain but they are steel so a magnet works.

Dane likes this.
  8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    FWIW:

I went (and am still) going through this exercise. So much fun, I get to go back in. Meaning: The diaphragms age fairly uniformly, right after I did one, another one started to leak. Now I'm going through the whole shebang. Now that carbs are off, I see lead plugs are leaking. I guess the poor machine is pushing 48 years.

HWLTS

Ferrari Tech likes this.