488 - Trying to understand the portable power pack for 488 batteries | FerrariChat

488 Trying to understand the portable power pack for 488 batteries

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DiamondDog, Jun 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    I have 2018 488. Battery is fine and always on tender. This forum has me worried that this battery may go out at any time.

Read about a portable power pack. So if battery goes dead, these things will start it? You use keep one in your car?

How often does the power pack need to be charged?

Which brand and model is recommended

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

2. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
  3. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA

Thanks for this

What reading indicates your car won’t start?

Curious as to what others think of these battery monitors. Available on Amazon. They are pretty small.

Anyone else using one?

4. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    The main reading that indicates you have a problem is the cranking voltage test. Each time you start the car the monitor looks at the voltage while cranking. I got an alert to my phone when the cranking voltage was 9.2V. Here is a screen shot from the monitor app. Cranking alert was on 2nd April. Battery failed on the 21st. Looking back through the monitor history though, there is a warning as far back as Feb.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for this. So between the alerts there were many normal cranking days? So you should replace battery at first abnormal crank?

I would think that if there was on red, the next days would be red again?

6. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    I’d suggest you replace battery at second or third abnormal crank. I remember getting an abnormal crank message once when I only half depressed the starter button and car ticked over but didn’t start.

as for your question on green days between red, there are other factors at play. Starting a warm car for example is easier than starting a cold one.

7. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I was concerned about having battery failure on my 488 so I bought a portable power pack (jump box). I also was sure that if it happened I would be somewhere, dressed up, at night (probably on the rain) and I did not want the work of uncovering the battery (try it, it is not that easy) and connecting the alligator clips. So I took the leads from my new jump box (center of picture) and cut off the clips (left side of picture). I purchased 3 plugs intended for high amperage starter loads and some 8AWG copper cable. I made an extension pig tail (right side of picture) which I installed on to the distribution device mounted on top of the battery and had the plug come out under the dash. Now to use the jump box I only need to take it out of the glove box and lean over and plug it in. I also put a connector onto the old clips (stowed under the hood) so I could do a good samaritan start on another car if that was ever needed. I recharge the jump box every 3-6 months to keep it fresh.

Does it work? I am confident it will but I have yet to have the battery fail and it has now been 3 years. Sort of like carrying an umbrella to insure it is unlikely to rain.

italiafan, mdrums and AD211 like this.
  8. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Very resourceful!

I think the solution is to have the battery monitor and a power pack jump starter just in case. I love how you made the quick connector.

9. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice project!

10. Bigbobo

Bigbobo Karting

Jul 25, 2020
    Northern CA
    Well I feel your concern. My 2022 F8 that I have had less than 4 moths did not start today. It has been on the factory trickle charger every second that it is not driven. Now I have to figure out when to jump it and get it back to the dealer that is 90 minutes away.

11. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Get a portable jump starter on Amazon as they are relatively inexpensive. Jump and drive to dealer for service.

I’ve done a lot of research and watched video reviews on YouTube and the GOOLOO GP4000 seems to be the best as far as performance and value. The noco gp70 is good too, but is a lot more expensive

Install a battery monitor per this thread so you can see your battery starting to fail before hand

12. rw99

rw99 Karting

Jan 1, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Wow, that’s really disappointing. Please return to this thread when it’s been diagnosed…

13. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    DiamondDog likes this.
  14. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    I could not find an easy way to get the Matson brand in the USA

I bought this and it has Bluetooth 5.0 and pretty long range. I think these are pretty much the same.

For those of you worried about you battery dying, this 40 dollar device tackles a minute to install and will warn you before you battery fails.

https://a.co/d/j1BnMuV

15. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Best thing is just replace your battery with an Antigravity and you won’t have to worry.

16. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    You guys may want to consider this 40 dollar solution

It will tell you when your battery starts failing

2 minute install

LNEX Car Battery Tester, Wireless Bluetooth 5.0 RV Battery Monitor, 12V 24V A... https://a.co/d/j1BnMuV

Matson has a good version that shows you every start on a calendar. But it’s only available in Australia. Lots of versions in USA but none I can find so far that records every day on a calendar view

LNEX Car Battery Tester, Wireless Bluetooth 5.0 RV Battery Monitor, 12V 24V A... https://a.co/d/j1BnMuV

Mrpseudonym and AD211 like this.