355 - New Engine Out Guide Video Series | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 New Engine Out Guide Video Series

Discussion in '348/355' started by Qavion, May 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Great job on the video. Its not easy to manage the camera and the wrenching at the same time but you did a phenomenal job managing the process. I also like the way you described it as: "1,000" little things to do!

Thanks for making it and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I dropped video 3 this morning. General inspection and then rebuilding the CVs.

3. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    SO for those of you that have done the CV, I was surprised to see a few oz of gear oil come out when the bolts were loosened. There is no gasket listed in the diagrams. however, the kit I used came with gaskets. I saw only pros and no cons installing the gaskets, So I put them in a 19:42 in the video. Anyone else?

4. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Great job. And for the love of everything that is holy, can someone please reproduce the Gothspeed CV boot heat shields? It's beyond ludicrous that Ferrari routed the frigging headers two inches away from rubber, unshielded (no, the factory heat shield is not a heat shield. It is a cosmetic aid that makes people think there's a heat shield).

GatedF355GTB and 308 GTB like this.
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Actually there is no gasket there. That gasket comes with some kits and is supposed to seal the joint between CV joint and the boot cap. But what was originally done was to use a sealant like Hylomar M on the inside of the caps as shown here (Ferrari probably put a lot more on):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you look at your video you can see the old sealant on the CV joint. Most don't realize that is what that is and don't bother putting new sealant on.

Factory boot kit comes with it.

Laserman, Qavion, Carmellini and 2 others like this.
  6. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    That’s interesting. I’m one of those who have never bothered with the sealant. Sadly the boots tend to expire way before I get any seepage from the cover.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I never used it either until I learned the hard way. Slightly deformed cap started leaking grease and had to pull the axle again and do it right. :(

8. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    That’s a bummer. I’ve never experienced a viable leak when the axle is installed on the car, but your point is well taken. What looks like a tiny amount of gear oil between joint and gearbox when I remove the axle is really liquified grease from the CV joint. This has never been an issue on any other car I’ve ever had but none of those had their CV joints located right below the header.

9. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I went back and double checked the footage from both side. There is most certainly NO sealant on the inside of the caps. Its is absolutely 100% metal on metal.
    If the cork seal was meant to go on the inside, there would be 2 cork seals, yet there was one. Inside the CV is of course the super thick grease, yet on the transmission flange is the 70w90 (relatively thin) gear oil which is much more susceptible to seepage than thick grease.

As for the kit I used, It was the kit johnK recommended a few years back. I would not recommend this kit however.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The kit I recommended is from a 2002 Porsche Boxster that fits correctly. I didn't not know about the sealant at that time. As for the gasket, don't know why it's in the kit.Porsche doesn't call for it. Neither does Ferrari. As for the sealant, it comes with the current factory kit. Perhaps an update. The original part# has been superseded twice. Both the previous part, 70000867 and the current, 70006022 include it.

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/70006022

11. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Not understanding why?

12. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Reference this thread https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/cv-boot-cross-reference-for-355.598569/#post-146562621
    The recommended boots do in fact have the correct lip, yes. but they also have and extra 2mm of rubber past that lip. that extra 2mm makes it impossible to install the cinch clamp. it angles the surface and so the clamp just slips off when you try to tighten it.
    I had to carefully remove that 2mm of rubber to exactly match the OEM boot's profile. Once that extra material was removed, the clamp was easily and securely installed.

Carmellini likes this.
  13. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
  14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Ken, first don't take this the wrong way. I think you are doing an excellent job with your videos. I was just trying to add some content. As for the boots I recommended I don't understand the problem you had with the clamps. The thread you referenced above shows the assembled axles with clamps in place. I found no need to cut anything to properly secure the clamps. Could be that the clamps that came with the kit are different than those I used. This is a picture from that thread for reference.

[​IMG]

15. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken

It's possible even though I bought the same kit that the manufacturers using a different supplier that has a slightly different boot design. The large lip (that fits inside the divot on the CV) profile is exact to the OEM boots. However they extended inwards like I said another 2 mm. That extra 2 mm of material would make the rubber surface sloped where the clamp will be placed. As you try to tighten the cinch clamp it just slid off towards the outside.

Basically, mine had this little extra material like I drew and red here:

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, maybe it's time for a new search. You certainly had a different experience than I. Maybe the best recommendation is to just suck it up and buy the factory kit.

Looking forward to your next installment.

17. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I actually gave up, went inside to try to buy OEM ones, but they wouldn't be here for over a month... So I made them work. Once they were trimmed, they did work perfectly fine, I just didn't want to put that on the video.

Next video is the timing belt video, I haven't even looked at the footage in months much less started editing.
    Hopefully it doesn't stir up too much strife here LOL, YouTube will probably censor my method as misinformation haha

By the way john, I do think I checked the timing before I remove the old belt as well

Carmellini likes this.
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I just bought some of the non-OEM Porsche replacement boots and indeed the lip is quite large. Maybe 3mm.

What did you use to cut the lip to make it look neat?

19. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I used to razor blade on one, and my wife's nail scissors on the other. Very tedious, but came out perfect

Qavion likes this.
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks. Looking at my new boots, I can't even see how you could trim anything off them. You would lose the inside lip for the clamp.

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Video 4 is up!

Belt replacement/timing.

Lots of detail. Quality production.

22. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    Just watched. It’s brilliant. Very well done. Thank you Kenny

23. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Good stuff! Which crankshaft socket did you use?

24. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    So much easier than using the bolt. I used this exact one https://amzn.to/3btwbqa
    COMP Cams 4798 1.385 inch ID with 3/16 inch and 1/4 inch Keyways

25. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

Grazie Kenney. Really enjoy the videos. Great work!