The end of Ferrari, as we know it | Page 15 | FerrariChat

The end of Ferrari, as we know it

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by johnk..., Jun 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Texas Forever and I were talking motorcycles not bicycles, but I'll still play :)

You say that as if it is a bad thing :) Walking is just healthy and I'm sure many many people around the world could benefit enormously from walking more.

In Denmark kids take their bike to school from the age of 6. I did that, my kids and their friends did that. It makes them highly mobile and independent (although it is on a downward trend). Bicycles are a very affordable, flexible and quick way to get around for those who either won't or can't afford a car. And then we have all the MAMILs, there is a lot of career minded people combining network and bicycling and averaging more than 200 miles pr week on their bikes - and many of us are crazy about cars as well. But in order for us to do that, we will need to take the bike to work a couple of times a week or else there just isn't the time to get those miles in.

Even our crown prince is a MAMIL and our crown princess is known to cycle around Copenhagen.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Public transportation helps many people commuting to work every day, it just makes sense with congested highways and cities and limited parking. I seldomly use it, but it's just good common sense to have a well established and well working public transportation network from any socioeconomic viewpoint.

The more people using one, two or all three of these methods of transportation, the more room there is on the roads for me and my car.

When you look at the picture below, how many of them would you say are obese? That is not a coincident.

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I don’t understand the numerous 296 references? It’s not an EV, but has one foot in that direction. Performance advantages over ICE are absurd for EVs.

O-60 in 1.5 seconds? Quarter Mile in 9 seconds?It’s all nonsensical. It’s much too fast, pointless. I had an F12 for two months, unusable beyond 2nd gear, stupid fast.

I just don’t get it. No disparaging the owners, have at it…it’s your money. The tech and the duty behind the idea is fair game.

anunakki likes this.
  3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Texas Forever and ddrewesusa like this.
  4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I turns the key and it goes…

Texas Forever and Boomhauer like this.
  5. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Radu, Texas Forever and Boomhauer like this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Guys...Ferrari is basicly Chrysler/Stelantis at this point. The parts sharing is very obvious. I don't like it..anymore then you guys. But a spade is a spade..

7. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    According to a recent release, Ferrari will be internalizing all EV technology.

"The company won't externalize what it refers to as "electric engines" as these will be engineered and built at home in Maranello."

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/news/ferrari-to-expand-production-facilities-for-ev-hybrid-models-report.2899/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/news/ferrari-to-launch-15-cars-by-2026-including-new-hypercar-and-ev.2904/

anunakki and Boomhauer like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I can't see their EVs being a success technically for a long time if they try and do this in house. I do wish them good luck, perhaps they surprise us.

Doug. and JTSE30 like this.
  9. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Uuhhhh, no. Here is an actual picture of my outfit whenever the temp drops below 50 degrees…

10. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    paulchua, JurajCh and ddrewesusa like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    A Kia Stinger is considered by enthusiasts as one of the last honest sport sedans, it’s derivative, the G70 is on the short list of any person looking for a true performance sedan. Have you not heard of the upcoming RM M20? Elantra N?

Kia Huyndai are on the top of any competitive reviews. Never mind , I didn’t think folks would so readily bust out the snob factor here.

You do know they are now only behind Toyota and VW in global production?

Radu, anunakki and Boomhauer like this.
  12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    OK, I am another....great little car, rock solid reliability.....our Soul with a manual transmission is great fun, more so than barges from MB, BMW, etc.

Radu, anunakki and Boomhauer like this.
  13. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I repeat Always interesting to hear from a Kia driver, The snob comment ! I drive FF, Mini Cooper, Lexus lx 470
    all have a quality, never been in a Kia, 90% of all modern cars are outstanding .

SaifC and ddrewesusa like this.
  14. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    To those of you purists who don't embrace evolving technology (I used to love rowing through the gears of my manual transmission 360, but absolutely love the paddle shift of my 458 and 488 and will not revert to a stick transmission.), if you want one of the last ICE powered Ferraris (not Ferrari's ... plural not possessive) you might be able to purchase mine. It is black-on-black with yellow calipers, purchased new from FoH. I am the only owner.

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Oh gawd. If it turns out the way they handle batteries and electrics now they’re doomed. Are they going to claim their electric motor has more soul than someone else’s?

16. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ferrari will be making internal combustion engines past 2030, representing around 20 percent of the cars at that point.

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I believe there will be a reckoning and very serious backtracking well before then as they realize the complete hopelessness of going all EV and how they cannot make it work....

At present, they only have 'plans'' to build a new EV development facility, Vigna believes in the fairy tale of 'solid state' batteries that even CATL says are well more than a decade off if ever...

By 2030 I believe Ferrari will be 60% hybrid, 20% ICE and 20% 'tank heavy' EV trucks (eFUV)...

18. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    "Ferrari drivers typically talk about the sound of the car but don't talk about how the car actually drives. Because few actually drive their cars. Alot of those "no drivers aids" cars with past body work.. if you know what i mean. :) That dated V12 machine you were cruising in is known for its sound, beauty and rarity. Not its handling. A Kia Forte stays on the road better.."

Those of us who regularly drove our Ferraris on the street actually experienced what I described in my post. The "dated V12 machine" was a sheer joy to drive- decent power, a very precise , direct shift linkage, a light clutch, positive non-power steering, excellent disc brakes with only moderate boost, and a very well-located solid rear axle. Its handling was precise and completely predictable- better than its contemporaries of that era. Basically, the tires available back then were the limitation on its cornering capabilities. Add to those qualities the elegant, classic styling of Pininfarina and you have an overall excellent automobile that was fun to drive. Enzo knew what he was doing; the present management.........?

I have never driven a Kia Forte and have no interest in doing so.

As for first girlfriends, we met again after 38 years and she was as lovely as the V-12 Ferrari.

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yeah, odd for sure when folks say exercise like it’s a “bad” thing.

explains a lot though don’t it?

it’s the closet thing I can think of as a “magic bullet” if there ever was such a thing on this earth.

695 likes this.
  20. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If it is going to be 100% EV, 80% EV or 20% EV production in the coming years is going to be interesting. If Ferrari is serious about have the EV technology developed in-house, they made a big mistake by not buying up Rimac while the could. What VW Group did with Bugatti, Porsche and Rimac was genius.

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Minus the orchestral noise of ICE

vrsurgeon likes this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No it doesn't....

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Um. Yes a Kia does. That sixties era car doesn’t handle for squat. You can see it in the race cars of the era.

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It wasn’t the tires any more than putting a modern tire on a muscle car makes it handle. Again, rose colored glasses. Many many men wax on how they blasted perfect lines down the road as a teenager in their sixties Camaro to discover it wasn’t so great as their memories.

I’m glad the reunion was a good one.

Texas Forever likes this.
  25. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    Early Sixties Cinturatos were tall, skinny tires with a relatively hard compound. They were definitely the limitation. Sixty years later we have the C8 Corvette, a remarkable car that will live in the memory of many drivers.

Thanks. Yes, the reunion was a good one. We got engaged by phone when I was working in Chile. After a year together here in the US we parted as friends. I was very sad to hear that she died this last February.

Texas Forever and vrsurgeon like this.