Porsche Design Orfina chronograph | FerrariChat

Porsche Design Orfina chronograph

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Mang, Apr 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #1 Mang, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    anyone else own one of these? I mentioned this watch, it was one of the original pieces in the birth of the Porsche Design world of high tech gadgetry.

here is a nice writeup from a recent eBay ad, these are getting kinda collectible, especially with the designers passing, r.i.p.

google Top Gun photos and see Tom Cruise sporting this model in the movie and Steven Tyler of Aerosmith was a fond owner of his as well.

Orfina Porsche Design chronograph black PVD coating and Lemania 5100 automatic winding movement. Orfina is a company steeped in history. They were founded in Grenchen, Switzerland in 1922 and from the outset have focused on building durable, practical and robust watches. To this end they achieved a great deal of success in producing, aviation, navigational and military wristwatches. They rose to world eminence when they were awarded the contract to build the Porsche Design watch. The original Porsche Design watches were designed by Ferdinand Porsche himself - the man who brought us the Porsche 911. He had the confidence in Orfina’s ability to manufacture his designs, and they executed, as expected, like true masters of horological excellence. Many of the Porsche design watches were sold to the retail public, but were also very popular with aviators, navigators and military personnel. The Orfina Porsche Design "3H military" model was issued to the German military forces in the 1970’s. This watch was manufactured by Orfina, to the design of the Porsche company. Orfina were the original company used by Porsche for their watch designs. This later went to IWC and is currently Eterna. This particular model is the original and cult classic 1970’s Porsche design watch. The watch is a beautiful and masterful watch, with sweeping and curving lines, the dial is clean and minimalist in design bringing a pure functionality without un necessary clutter. The watch is striking and a pleasure to wear. Being of steel construction, it is durable, strong and solid and heavy in weight. Black PVD case is in very good condition. Matte black dial with superbly contrasting white hands and dial markings, Porsche design logo on dial, case back and PD logo on folding bracelet clasp. Day and date function the 3 position. Uncluttered and minimalist tachometer scale printed on the inner bezel. Comes with Porsche Design Case, warranty card and instruction leaflet. Dimensions are: width is 40 mm excluding crown, 43 mm including crown, 44 mm lug to lug and thickness is 14 mm.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    I had one when new and have been looking for a replacement ever since it was stolen. If you know anyone in the US with one for sale Please PM me. I would also accept the stainless version by IWC with the day and date.

3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #3 Martin308GTB, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have the earlier one with the Valjoux movement and Orfina instead of PD on the face.
    My dad - who owned a '72 911S back then - got it as a christmas present from my mother in 1975 and I did inherit it.
    As far as I know, there will be an exact replica named ' Porsche Design Heritage ' on the market shortly.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

Jdubbya likes this.
  4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    They are available on eBay...especially lately as they have spiked in value since F. Porsche's passing. The THING to look out for is that pesky pd crown...they have a way of going missing and have become extremely difficult to find, so many have replacement crowns and the crown is an intricate part of the design and the original is the one to have! I just picked up a beautiful and accurate additional one recently, seems good ones are in the $1,500. range and higher now. A complete 'service' cost around $1,000. with Superior Watch out of NY. I have had my original one done twice now in 30+ years of ownership. It's been on my wrist and is the only thing that has been everywhere with me in my adventurous life. I'm very attached! It's great to see photos of my travels and there is always my pd watch on my wrist :) Amazing watch!

5. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    #5 bboxer, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    There is a wonderful and interesting connection between Orfina and Ferrari. Orfina was for a few years, owned and run by Umberto Maglioli, a Ferrari F1 driver in the 50's and Porsche winner in the Targa Florio and Carrera Panamericana.
    I had the privilege of knowing Umberto before he passed away in the late 90's. He was also a brilliant engineer with a few watch design patents. He gave me a tour of the small factory in Grenchen sometime in the late 80's. A great guy who lived in Monza, a few yards away from the track.

6. adef

adef Rookie

Sep 16, 2008
    I happen to own one that was given to me by my dad about 18 years ago and he still has another one as well. If I am not mistaken he purchased both in early/mid 70's. I switched the bracelet out with a leather strap as the original bracelet was too small for my wrist and my dad couldnt find any of the extra links. They both still work well but are in dire need of service and refurb. I take it the place in NY that was emntioned does good work?

7. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Very jealous! Always wanted one.

8. Barry

Barry Karting

Jul 5, 2005
    Jones Beach - Winter
    I just put one of these back in play- had a non- original crown and stem installed . Watch is in real nice shape except for a scratch on the crystal. Watch has not run in about 15-20 years according to my buddy who gave it to me.Gave it a few shakes and presto. Keeps great time.Does anyone have a spare crystal out there? Will give SW a call but have a feeling they will only part with it as part of a complete "service". That was the answer I received when I inquired about a crown. Happy to pay for a crystal if anyone has one.

Thanks,
    Barry

9. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Anyone have one of these they are willing to part with?

10. etmracing

etmracing Karting

Oct 17, 2010
    Thurmont MD
    Full Name:
    Marc Stephens
    I have one I purchased from the original owner last year. Ralph Lauren also was quite fond of them.

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I stumbled across this this thread on the original PD watch. I thought it is an opportunity to resurrect it. I would like to share my Orfina 7750 Chrono 1 that I’ve had for almost 30 years. I got it as a gift from a friend in the German auto industry. It has been in this condition ever since I’ve owned it. It keeps perfect time. Recently after seeing the limited edition reissue I became curious about it. I have recently learned a bit about it from Porsche Design in Zell am See. They say it is a very early first series that could be part of the first early batch. This is when PD was still based in Zuffenhausen around 1973/74. It has tiny dot tritium on the markers. They said this was an experiment due some concerns of too much tritium. It also has the “Orfina” script in the middle on top of the date window. The version lined to the left was apparently a later series. It also has no “pd” logos. Only “Porsche Design” on the front and back. I would love to hear from those that have done more research on these early PD watches.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

randkin, Boomhauer and Jdubbya like this.
  12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Cool watch.