458 - Broken leather strap in trunk, how to replace/repair? | FerrariChat

458 Broken leather strap in trunk, how to replace/repair?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Oct 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
  2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Lots of threads on this on the 360/F430 section.

There are aftermarket sellers online, or check with your local Leather repair guy. They can custom make it for you using real leather materials for much less than OE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

docf, Caeruleus11 and ShadowLAP like this.
  3. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Shermanator

Shermanator Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    SoCal, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sherman Gregory
    This happens all of the time. The OEM straps are crap and break if you corner hard like a Ferrari is made to do. After mine broke a second time, I found some nylon buckle straps from https://www.strapworks.com and made them from those.

5. Widebody_Don

Widebody_Don Karting

Apr 16, 2021
  6. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    How do you move and replace the rivets?

So annoying. This just happened to me

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    You have to drill out the old rivets. Only way I could get them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

docf and Need4Spd like this.
  8. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    You have to remove the panels from the trunk first. Then the rivets drill out easily. Use a 2 x 4 piece of wood to drill into.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Did you take out the trunk tub like Dan did in his video? Lots of people in the comment section of that video said you don’t have to and he should have used a bigger bit to drill out.

Others on FC forums say you need to take apart the trunk

I have a 488 btw

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

10. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I never took the tub out.

docf likes this.
  11. jk356

jk356 Rookie

Jul 10, 2017
    midwest
    Full Name:
    jeff k
  12. AirKuhl

AirKuhl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 23, 2004
    Who da ho?
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I recently had a flat in my 458 a long way from home. That's a story for another day, but I learned a couple things.

1) The strap that holds the inflation kit will break if you breathe on it too hard.
    2) Don't expect AAA or anyone else to patch your tire. They will do it in a narrow band down the middle, if it's anywhere near the shoulder they won't touch it.
    3) The inflation kit with the goo is a life saver but it's not a patch. If you need to drive more than a couple miles, you need to patch it.
    4) Replacing just the goo bottle in the official inflation kit costs more than buying 3 entire and better quality inflation kits.
    5) The goo DOES NOT hurt your wheel or your TPMS sensor. That's an old wives tale. When I had the tire replaced several days and a few hundred miles later, the goo just spills out, they rinse the rim with some water and everything is fine. Tire shop confirmed this as well.

Anyway, I decided to put an emergency tire repair kit together, that also won't tear out the fake leather strap.

My wife used to have a VW and it came with a roadside repair kit. The important bit is the bag it came in, which is the perfect size and has a velcro strap across the back. I put the bag in the bottom of the frunk pressed against the front and the velcro "sticks" to the tub fabric holding it in place.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Inside the bag is the best tire inflation kit and tire repair kit I could find on Amazon, along with some gloves.

Only problem is that the bag has a VW logo on the front. So I finally found a use for that sticker FCA gives you when you renew your membership.