430 - Smell gasoline when I start my car,smell disappears | FerrariChat

430 Smell gasoline when I start my car,smell disappears

Discussion in '360/430' started by efg2014, Jun 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Hi,
    The last two times I took my car out for a drive, about 3 weeks between each drive, I smelled gasoline. This time I stopped about a mile from my house smelled around the engine and gas cap nothing. Get back in the car and I smell fumes. After about 5-10 minutes of driving the smell is no longer present. Drive the car hard for about 45-60 min everything is fine.
    Plan on calling my shop and taking the car in for inspection. Wondering if people have ideas. -thanks

2. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Fuel pump(s) likely leaking. Replace them w new units from Eurospares.

ScottS and efg2014 like this.
  3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Do not drive the car until you get it fixed. Your car is inviting you to an Italian barbeque. Seriously.

JSP, Flea7, Senshi458 and 2 others like this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you remove the 2 engine side panels, it will give you access to both fuel pumps- sounds like you have a leak so dont drive it until you know what is going on. Fuel pump leaks are a known issue on 430s

JSP and VAF84 like this.
  5. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    Simple to repair so you do not have to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    From an old post from another member. I did the same as him with the same outcome. Fixed and done.

In the middle of the fuel pump, there is a circle with a cross in the middle. If the fuel is filling up there, you really dont need to change the pumps. They still work fine, just has a crack in the plastic cover. All you need to do is clean out the cover of the fuel pump as best as you can, dry the holes where the fuel is building up, and fill it with marine grade epoxy.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KH62K50
    That is the one I used my self. Make sure to let it dry overnight before running the car. I used this fix almost 6 months ago and I have not had any problems with it to this day.
    $2000 repair ended up costing me about $5s and a few hours of my time.

7. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Just replaced both my fuel pumps on my 360 Spider. It's a DIY, so no excessive dealer labor rate involved. Found new OEM pumps for well under OEM pricing. Only one pump was cracked but they are 20 years old. Cheap insurance policy and the new pumps use a different plastic on top.

EastMemphis, ditpixs, ScottS and 2 others like this.
  8. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    All, thank you, thank you for! for all you generous advice.

9. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I haven't got to this point yet but I do have a question. If the left pump goes (it has the fuel level sensor) are we buying the entire setup OR buying the right side and transfer the level sensor?
    There's a thread where one of us transferred the sensor.

10. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I meant to add ....... if the sender is still accurate and working....

11. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I would replace both. If the plastic on one is going, the other is likely not far behind. Why risk losing the whole car to a fire when the fuel pumps are not that expensive and not much labor to swap?

EastMemphis likes this.
  12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #12 EastMemphis, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    When I picked up my 360 Spider, I did so at Fonzi's place in NJ and he told me, among other things, to never let the tank get below 1/4 and never fill above 3/4. He said to keep it at the halfway mark and I shouldn't have any problems with my fuel pumps, sensor, or cracked plastic cap at the top of the fuel tanks.

I was told having less than 1/4 causes the sensor to wear out, and may cause weird issues with the ECU, and having a full tank can stress the plastic cap. Having that empty space at the top of the tank prevents that apparently.

I don't know if what he said was just talk but he seems like a very serious guy and everything else he told me was accurate. I'm sure this goes for both 360 and 430 models.

My thoughts on repairing a cracked top are that it's not worth the risk. Change both fuel pumps if one fails or starts leaking. It's not that expensive and if you do it yourself, won't take much longer than one. Besides, after replacing one, you're an expert. The second should almost be fun.

Dewinator likes this.
  13. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Make sure the new one/s are the upgraded yellowish/orange on top and not white plastic. I did mine and it now matches the other side which must have been done previous to me.

Sj_engr likes this.
  14. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    If it’s not fuel pumps it could be rollover valve. That was my ticket to a unique and luckily not tragic Italian bbq.

EastMemphis likes this.
  15. Mercedes_Benz

Mercedes_Benz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    When I got my F430 a few months back, I had a fuel smell also. 2 areas actually.. One was when I was cleaning the rear wheels or driver side skirt I could smell it from the lower side skirt intake area. I found the fuel filler hose where it meets the fuel tank, one of the clamps was not that tight. But the bigger more strong fuel smell I smelt when driving with my windows open, also when the car was parked a little, especially if I opened the rear hatch. It clearly was coming from the driver side. I took the engine bay panels off, and stuck my head in there as much as I can, I could smell it. I have a fuel sniffer device, it detects many types of fuel smells/leaks. When I put it up to my fuel pump ring it went off. The top of the fuel pump looked perfect though. I ordered a new fuel pump ring and gasket. When taking the old one off, not only was the fuel pump ring loose, the gasket was bad. I replaced both, and torqued it, also replaced that side fuel line for good measure since the other one was done a few years ago by a previous owner. Now there is no more smell. Many times from what I read its a bad ring or gasket which is thankfully cheap and easy to fix.

16. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Alot of talented folks with Ferraris and I"m not one of them. Had my car towed to the shop and they are replacing both fuel pumps. Turns out on coupes, it is more work to replace the fuel pumps than on a spyder. One fuel pump is behind the driver's seat and the other behind the passenger's seat. One of the mechanics showed another F430 with the panels off and pointed in the direction off where the leaked fuel would travel. It would travel down and drip right on the cats! I'm a little surprised the Ferrari design team didn't do a better job on some thing this important.

17. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Mine had the little plate that allowed me to easily take it out. Lots of room to work once the side cover is off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I've seen a YouTube video where a spyder did not have the plate to allow to angle the pump out. Perhaps it is year dependent as the video guy had to drop the tank slightly to get clearance.

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    For some odd reason the coupe and spider pumps are different pt nos

19. Mercedes_Benz

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    Is that a 430? why aren't mine like that?

20. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Here is a photo of the fuel pump that is leaking. Both pumps will be replaced . You want to replace both.

Attached Files:

21. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Yes Coupe F430 but mine is 2005. I am guessing year dependent?

22. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Yes. Later years got rid of the plate you could unbolt to get the pump out easier. It probably saved $1.27 in material costs for them ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Bummer. Plate makes it like a ten min job after the side cover is off.

24. Mercedes_Benz

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    Yeah, my 2007 does not have that plate. Sure wish I did, man!

25. EthanVintage4367

Jul 20, 2022
    Full Name:
    Ethan Brown
    Not sure if this is the issue you speak of, but if you notice a gas smell in your garage while your car is sitting there doing nothing, your car's gas tank vent line is most likely venting to atmosphere causing that horrible gas smell. This may be why you smell it when you first start driving it, and then the smell dissipates as you continue driving it causing the gas smell to essetially go away. This is a very common issue, and I had the same issue on my 330 GTC.

I solved this issue by installing the following activated charcoal filter between the gas tank vent line: https://www.classicperformancerestoration.com/product-page/gas-tank-vent-charcoal-canister-fits-all-vehicles-with-a-fuel-tank

I used the 8 inch version found in the link I provided above, and my garage no longer wreaks of gasoline. Like I said, not sure if this is the same issue you speak of, but these are my two cents. Happy tinkering my friend! :)