Maserati MC20 | Page 44 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I do not speak Japanese, but clients there tell me the Japanese reviews of the MC20 are quite favorable. Their consensus seems to be that it strikes a perfect balance of it being just as much GT as it is super-sports car. Always a slightly different perspective on things there

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Here's one from back in February. He's not creaming in his pants for one but he does praise the nice ride not found in the rest of the field. Says it's very fast and that it has more than enough power. He's also testing on cold winter roads. He's critical of the engine's response, turbo lag.
    Picks on the interior a bit and then says he's rather have the Ferrari 296 GTB with it's 200 more hp.

Not a customer.

3. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Crapping on a 911 because you once drove a 993 would be like crapping on the MC20 because you once drove a Shamal, also sold in the 90s.

Respectfully, do yourself a favor and find a way to drive or get a ride in a modern 911 GT3. They are remarkable cars and benefit from decades of both small and major advances that can only be done when the whole car isn’t being reimagined every 5 years.

I’m not coming from a place of being anti-Maserati. To the contrary I’ve owned a handful of Masers and have an MC20 on order.

In terms of your question on production, I can’t say what the current order to delivery window is but I spec’d mine 2 years ago and the car just finished production. Maserati has been awful at providing any even minimal amount of structured updates. I think they can improve a lot in this area and they should look at what Porsche does with their “Track Your Dream” site for following a car’s production process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks,
    Re 911 I will answer you by PM (tomorrow) to keep this thread on topic.

Re the delay that is a lot of patience required, I hope you get it asap! And yes communication is not their forte...yet.

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    a GT3 will beat you up pretty good if driving for more than an hour.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    watch Chris Harris's review from last night on top gear, he loves the car and says he would buy one over a ferrari/mclaren

Ferraripilot likes this.
  7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have watched that and yes he's very enthusiastic. I don't even know who this guy is, there's no name in the video???
    He didn't pan it and loves the looks, other than the interior, but in the end he wants the Ferrari. Hey whatever.

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yes, but "Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!" (Mae West)

9. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    that's what a GT3 Touring is for;);)
    as far as the MC20, a forum member on Alfa Giulia just took delivery a few months ago and created a thread documenting the process
    https://www.giuliaforums.com/threads/my-maserati-mc20.56683/unread
    has already had it to the track:p

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    "And goodness had nothing to do with it."
    "Why don't you come around and see me some time."

Both opposite Cary Grant.

I never found her sexually appealing but she was quite ribald AND funny as hell.

wbaeumer likes this.
  11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Not Mae West but worthy of her. “If you need me, just call. You know how to dial, don't you? You just put your finger in the hole and make tiny little circles.”

wbaeumer and Nembo1777 like this.
  12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Butler: "Oh, Mrs West, there are 15 bodybuilders downstairs waiting for you!" Mae West: "OK, send 1 home, I am not in the right mood today!"

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That was Mae Bacall. ;)

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OK one more and that's it. "When I'm good I'm very good but when I'm bad I'm even better". Still Cary Grant who apparently brought the "bad" in her.

15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    actually not Lauren Bacall. Her line was:. "If you want me, just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow”

the line i was referencing was Rachel Ward in Dead Me Don’t Wear Plaid

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I know the line very well Joe :rolleyes: I stuck the Mae in front of Bacall as an ode to her.
    But I didn't remember the Dead Man Wear Plaid line. I do remember the scene from the movie where "They were all out of whack" though. Rachel Ward was hot hot hot!

17. Call me Al

Call me Al Karting

Jun 6, 2021
    Eastern Washington state
    Full Name:
    Tom Burgess
    Here’s a full review I just get input on my Alfa forum. Some negatives and surprises but I still love the car
    Maserati MC20 review
    It’s fast, it’s fun, it’s drop dead gorgeous
    It goes 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds, it has a launch control and goes 204 mph
    But it’s a new car so it’s heavy and actually not that fast at the road course

I’ve taken the car to three racetracks now for about five track days. I’ve done tiny improvements like a little more negative camber, slightly wider tires, lightweight lithium battery and racing brake fluid and pads. So it should be pretty much tiptop for a stock car to see what it can do at the road course racetrack. Sadly I was surprised to see that it was really isn’t that fast.
    On a normal road course I would say it’s really not a lot faster than a stock Giulia QV with at least some brake pad upgrade.
    And my widebody Guilia QV would blow it up. Even my lightly modded Stelvio it is as fast or even more so
    Only on the really high speed racetracks (about 160mph or more) with not a lot of turns would it step up and be faster because of its aerodynamics. And it was very fast at one racetrack that had a couple very high-speed straightaways.
    This was a shock to me but also helps explain why I was able to beat so many supercars with my Guilia and Stelvio QVs. Sure the most important thing is the driver and I might have a edge on most of them but still!!!
    Just a month ago I was faster than a $500,000 McLaren 765LT at ORP in my widebody Guilia QV. And that’s pretty much top of the line track car and also just 3.100lbs.
    Sadly the MC20 is a bit of a pig at 3750lbs. So disappointing because it’s a carbon fiber tub and a small displacement V6. But a lot of that weight is wheels and the rotors I’m going to change the rotors and the wheels and knock off at least 150 pounds of unsprung weight. With a titanium exhaust and removing the particle filters I’d probably save another 100lbs.
    I have a plan to reasonably and inexpensively get it down to about 3,550 lbs. So that’s not too bad.
    All new cars including supercars are heavy even the new Lotus Emira is 3,100 lbs at least! And I really don’t trust any of these manufactures claims on the weight i’m almost certain that they’re higher than those claimed weights. But the Italians seem to be the worst with Ferrari being over 300 pounds off but Maserati takes the lead at being 450lbs off.
    So that’s it, the Golden age of horsepower is also the age of heavy cars!
    Also the electronics on the MC20 aren’t the best for tracking hard at the racetrack I was getting brakes overheated lights and that even caused a Christmas tree of death light show once and really for no reason other than the brakes being hot. And that was after I put in the best racing brake fluid there is.
    So the bottom line review of the MC20 is I still love it it’s gorgeous and if you were to drive in it with me and I did a launch or a 40-80mph pull you would think it was the fastest car around. People even tell me their neck hurts!!
    But I’m really not going to track it much once I get some weight off it I will do it a little bit but I’m not going to push it too hard. And really it’s too beautiful of a car and too low to the ground to really track it a lot as it’s going to get a lot of track debris damage. I have a whole car PPF and I have windshield coverage too so the car is not damaged at all but I could see that it would be if I kept it up.
    On the street the car is probably the best supercar I’ve ever driven as so easy and fun to drive and it doesn’t beat you up. And when you pick the advanced driving modes it really steps up and handles just like you want it to. Also the highest driving mode Corsa has a little bit of traction control and it’s just about perfect. I’ve driven it with all nannies off and that’s fun too but you really don’t need to it’s such a good driving mode with a little bit on.
    Pretty amazing my other Alfa cars are faster but that just shows how great the Alfa Georgio platform is also how good my mods have worked out.
    So I’m really going to be tracking the Guilia QV widebody mostly as it is so stupid fast and I’ll also take out the Stelvio QV that I lightly modded a little.
    Besides both of those cars are so fun to beat up two door sports cars with. A sedan and an SUV daily drivers that can best most sport cars LOL.
    But I have a 2005 Lotus Elise cup car that I have ratted away and this winter I plan on putting a Honda K 24 motor in it getting it up to about 375 HP on pump gas and it only weighs 1700 pounds so that car will be the fastest car at the track by far!! And parts are available and expensive. In fact what I paid for the car and my plan mods will be really cheap like less than $60K total which is a lot of money but for the fastest car at the track it’s not. Also it won’t have all the electronics and that other BS that gets in the way.
    So Call me Al going to join the ranks of other supercar owners that treat them like glorified handbags LOL. We will sit around and talk at cars and coffee about the options on our cars and how fast they would be at the racetrack but we don’t take them there because we don’t want to beat them up LOL. Btw only the last part of that is true!!
    So even if Alfa came out with a two door coupe car it probably would be heavy too!
    Enjoy your Giulias and Stelvios and 4Cs…. They really are something special especially if you do a light moding on them!

So if you want an Italian two door sports supercar that it’s just freaking beautiful, with butterfly doors that give excellent entry/exit, stiff carbon fiber tub that you really feel, A very low COG, lots of suspension travel give an excellent ride both on the street and racetrack and if you can pay the price, then the Maserati MC20 is a fantastic car. And it really is a value compared to the other supercars.

I just came back from Area27 in Canada with it. No one has even seen the car up there from all the people I spoke with! Got lots of complements
    Here is a tracking video from up there:
    Maserati MC20 tracking at Area27 

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

wrh3 and redcaruser like this.
  18. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    That’s a very complex track…well done.

Call me Al likes this.
  19. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Do you have a post detailing all the mods to the wide body Alfa? Would love to see pics and hear what you have done.

Call me Al likes this.
  20. Call me Al

Call me Al Karting

Jun 6, 2021
    Eastern Washington state
    Full Name:
    Tom Burgess
    Thank you it’s one of my favorite tracks. The carousel portion takes a while to figure out and you definitely need to trail brake. Also turn number two which is the sweeper after the long straightaway is a lot of fun because you really can go fast again if you trail brake or if you have enough downforce you don’t brake at all!!!!

21. Call me Al

Call me Al Karting

Jun 6, 2021
    Eastern Washington state
    Full Name:
    Tom Burgess
    On the Alfa Giulia forum where is my thread on it called “GT3RS killer”.
    https://www.giuliaforums.com/threads/spring-mods-porsche-gt3rs-killer.47942/page-19
    I kind of named it that very hopefully when I first started the build but it turned out to be true. But if the same level driver was in a GT3RS it would be slightly faster I think. But in all of my tracking I’ve only ran into one driver that has a faster lap time at ORP in his RS than me. And he’s really really good.
    Brian Cook. And if you know him ask him about my Alfa cars.
    I did had one of those tracking days that were amazing a year ago at ORP with six RS cars at a big HOD event. Five of them were in the advanced group and at least a couple of them were very good drivers and yet I bested them all and it was epic. I drove so hard that day that I went through a brand-new set of tires in one day!
    But it was worth it. And the Alfa held up to all of that on a track that has 400 feet of elevation change each lap which really tests your car.

Alfa Romeo Giuila QV widebody at ORP CCW with Porsche GT3RS cars. 1:52 laptimes

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ryalex likes this.
  22. Call me Al

Call me Al Karting

Jun 6, 2021
    Eastern Washington state
    Full Name:
    Tom Burgess
    On supercar rally in Canada now….car is excellent and we can’t stop anywhere without a crowd coming up

ryalex and johnei like this.
  23. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al