Maserati Khamsin | Page 417 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I see "something" in that spot on the original.
    [​IMG]

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well spotted, no idea what it could be...

3. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I’d guess covering some type attachment bolts?, for the top portion of the center console. In the series 2 cars, that piece is held down by Allen Head screws.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm going to guess that the restorer didn't think much of how the coachbuilder tried to hide it originally and just made a nice cover instead not tying ot completely hide it. I have stuff, very cheap stuff like that on my Espada too that I changed because the original methodology meant the damn covers just fell off and left an ugly gaping mess. Perhaps a finishing washer and coarse screw threaded into fiberglass?

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I have been struggling with a miss above 3,500 rpms for some time that on occasions have let to the engine completely stalling. Today, as I left the hotel to return home after a Maserati event the engine stalled twice. I am surprised we were able to drive the Khamsin for over an hour back home.

At first I thought the problem was fuel related as it feels as the engine losses power as though it is running out of gasoline. I've rebuilt the carbs, replaced the fuel pump and the regulator. Today when it quit I checked fuel flow to the carbs and it looked fine. I am now thinking it may be ignition related.

On Ghiblis I've replaced the dual contact points and eliminated the Bosch ignition box by installing a Pertronix ignitor (breakerless unit) along with a Pertronix Flame thrower coil. The spark it produces is comparable to the original Bosch CD unit.
    The Khamsin has breakerless ignition. Has anyone installed the Pertronix ignitor in a Khamsin distributor? If I can install the Pertronix ignitor then I know the Bosch CD box can be bypassed.

Ivan

MK1044 likes this.
  6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well you'd have to replace all the electronics guts inside the distributor and be able to mount or create a plate to mount the ignitor. I've never looked at the dizzy in my Bora which I think is the same with that in mind. I did this for my Espada which had 4 sets of points in one dizzy! :eek: Once I finished the mechanical changes I sent the distributor to a friend for alignment and checking of the mechanical
    advance system. That worked out fine. But there was no vacuum advance on those distributors and my Bora has a vacuum retard (disabled). So your Khamsin might have that to deal with as well? Perhaps it would make the mounting more difficult?

Fifteen years ago you could have gotten a dizzy & Bosch box cheaply out of the many discarded QPIIIs.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  8. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Wowww!
    US $2,493.17

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    At least it's new. What did you expect? OEM GT parts prices have always been expensive since I began my Maserati ownership in 1985.
    I've heard that Maserati is selling classic parts again which I guess means they're having them made again?

khamsin433 likes this.
  10. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Odds the problem is in the coil or the CD box and not the distributor itself. I should start by replacing the coil. The Khamsin coil has two connectors on the side. A google search of the Bosch part number(o 221 121 007) indicates it was also used on some Porsche 911 but I have yet to find a new replacement.
    Has anyone found a suitable replacement? The coil has a very low input resistance and the terminals are simply labeled A and B. I realize I would most likely have to change the coil connector.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Maybe a 928 as well since the ignition boxes are the same. There's a very big 928 community that might be able to help?

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There's a guy over on Maserati life who's converting his Khamsin to direct ignition and fuel injection. He began the thread asking about the vacuum pod on the Bosch distributor and the micro switch on the throttle shaft of one of the Webers.

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Just tracked that down. That person is in Norway as indicated by the little flag. Strangely he is talking about maybe buying chassis 375 which is a right hand drive UK market car located in Vienna Austria (yes). 375 is a very very rusty project that will take a lot of work to sort out. The least of this man's worries is how the engine produces spark.

FYI one car in Germany has had fuel injection for many years, AM120-262.

A technician in France told me this week that he is modifying a K to EFI for a client, I will see him at Le Mans Classic this weekend and find out more including VIN.

14. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Ivan,

I have had to change the coil on my car though for the life of me I can’t find details of where I purchased the replacement from. It’s a more modern Bosch coil and I had to alter the loom. Luckily there coil loom is short at approx 12” so I was able to make a replacement that had the more usual eyelets.

if you’re ok to wait I’ll get the car out of the garage in the next day or so and photograph the set up.
    I know most don’t rate the modern Bosch coils but I’ve not had any issues with it. I retained the original loom and coil. It was changed as advised by the guys who tuned up the car on a rolling road. Though the car didn’t show any issues even at K40.

Bal

15. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Since you help so many folks out Ivan I thought best strike now.

Had to dismantle a bit to get the part number of coil.
    This replacement has terminals marked up with ‘A’ and ‘1’. A is positive and 1 negative from what I found out online.

In the connector block above the coil there is a brown cable and a black. Brown = negative, black = positive.

I hope the pictures help.

Bal

Attached Files:

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have a friend who converted his Espada to Electromotive about 12 years ago and I must say his car just runs so remarkably well and pulls strongly from low rpms, a trait the Lamborghini V12 is not known for. He's just finishing a major update to the latest version of their product now they're defunct! He retained the DCOE Webers and utilized them as throttle bodies. His car hardly looks stock anyway but the induction system does.

Hopefully Ivan gets his issue solved.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I did the same thing on my Bora eons ago when I was having issues for 2 very long years. Mine was an errant color coding in original factory wiring loom to the CD box so when it got burned from those thermal reactors and I replaced it I followed the same color coding from the magnetic pickup to the CD box but ... the factory had included a twist in the original loom!

A real SOB to run down.

18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Thank you Bal ! This really helps.

It also dawned on me that my Kyalami has the same coil and ignition system so I can swap parts between the two cars and hopefully pinpoint the problem. I am traveling the next 4 weeks so this will have to wait.

Ivan

MK1044 and khamsin433 like this.
  19. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
    Nice to see photos of my car in Spa.
    I was there together with my son. We took part in the Parade, it was big fun.
    My Wheels: Yes, they are 17". These are 3 piece wheels: Whith support of my friend Thomas Roelle, we made the CAD design of the center disc similar to the look of the original wheels, streched to fit for 17" barrels. Inner and outer barrel are BBS style. ( 5,5"+2,5") Screws are from inside.
    The center discs were CNC machined by a CNC workshop. We made 10 pcs, 5 for me, 5 for Thomas.
    The car drives much better with the modern tyres, I keep the original camagnolos safe.
    Achim

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
    Hello Ivan,
    the MSD 6A Box works is good, The inductive trigger input of MSD works with the trigger in the Bosch distributor. The Khamsin tacho also works with the Tach output of MSD6A.
    Coil: MSD Blaster
    I compared both: original Bosch and MSD: no difference, maybe MSD is a little bit better when the engine is cold, because it generates multiple sparks at lower RPM.
    Pertronix is no CDI Ignition. I tried it in my Alfa Montreal: the spark is too weak at higher RPM
    I drove with my Khamsin with the MSD for 4 years.
    ( actually I drive with EFI: Halltech Elite 950, Borla DCNF throttle bodies, Marelli Injectors, 2 pcs. VW Golf IV block coils, ..another story )

21. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Achim,
    So the rims are 8" wide? did you use the same offset than OEM?
    And could you please give the specs of the rims and of the tyres used?
    Your rims look exactly like the original Campys, escept obviously the 17" diameter.

The 16" BBS produced for the Merak/Bora are sometimes put on the Khamsin but are wider and there are very few tires that fit:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
  23. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Hi Achim,
    Really good to know that the MSD 6A works with the Bosch distributor and Veglia tach. I suspect my engine's problem is either the coil or the Bosch CD box. This solution replaces both and can be done in a way the engine looks stock.
    Ivan

24. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
    This cable from Porsche 911 fits to the Bosch distributor, so you do not need to cut the original cable:
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/163646251981

staatsof likes this.
  25. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #10425 staatsof, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Have to disagree with that statement. There are several of us in the vintage Lamborghini community who have been using the Pertronix for over 10 years and it works much better than the stock points and condensor system. That v12 runs at much higher rpms than the Maserati V8. You also can run a CDI box from it if you want to. I've never felt a compelling need to do that. That being said I think Ivan is on the right path and converting that Bosch distributer for a Pertronix mount might be quite challenging and possibly irreversible.