Why Was Charles #12 in position | FerrariChat

Why Was Charles #12 in position

Discussion in 'F1' started by DiamondDog, Jun 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Hi,

Usually I watch the races closer to the race day. Just watched Canada GP due to being away on holiday.

Why was Charles p12 at the start? What happened during qulaifying.

Starting going through the qualifying thread but couldn't find it so I thought I would shortcut it and just ask here

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Leclerc took new components which pushed him back on the grid at the start of the race.

3. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Sorry for my ignorance. Trying to learn the rules.

Are the new "components" the Power Unit?

Does this mean that if you take new components you are penalized in qualifying? I didn't see Charles ever in the top lap times during qualifying (which I skimmed through)

So does this mean that if you take new components, you start at 11+ position and then those positions are determined by fastest lap times?

4. notwen

notwen Rookie

Jan 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    M
    Each driver gets a certain number of allotments of critical components (like turbo, PU, etc.) Afterwards, if you take others you get a penalty during qualifying. His was a +10 penalty. Based on the penalty he didn't even drive in Q2 or Q3 and ended up staring 19th ahead of Tsunoda who had a similar penalty.

5. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Teams are allotted to use 3 component allotment allocation. These components consist of--->ICE(internal combustion engine), TC (turbocharger), MGU-K (motor generating unit Kinetic (braking)), and MGU-H (motor generating unit Heat (turbo)) to include the ERS (energy recovery system) and EC (electronic controls). There are other components that have more of an allotment like the gearbox and exhaust but the ones mentioned have a "life expectancy" of 6 to 7 races or 7k kilometers. This rule of 3 components for a whole season was introduced in 2014 and has been used ever since. Once a team goes over the 3 component allotment allowed, by taking on a 4th component you incur a 5 spot grid penalty. So for example, Leclerc needed a new ICE (his 4th already) in Canada and he needed a new MGU-H(his 4th) and a new TC (his 4th)...that's a 15 grid spot penalty because 5 times 3 is 15.
    So over a season, if you do the math, a team needs to replace the components mentioned every 6th or 7th race without incurring grid spot penalties over the season.
    A team could also re-use a component as well without incurring grid penalties so long as it doesn't go over the "life expectancy" of said component.
    This is why ONLY IN QUALIFYING, these components are run at there highest modes and during the race, these modes are turned down to save said components for the next GP. During free practice as well are these modes turned down.

Now, here's a "kicker." During a filming test or a Pirelli tire test for said team, a team can change out as many components as they like without falling under the "3 components per year rule." Once said filming or tire test is done, the team has to revert back to its original components for the next race.

ALL OF THIS IS UNDER THE WATCHFUL EYE OF THE FIA and these components have seals and numbers.

Understand now???

DiamondDog and william like this.
  6. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Is it not likely that Red Bull will also face grid penalties at some point during the season? They have already had some in-race difficulties as have the teams with Red Bull (Honda) supplied power units. Just wondering...

7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Well, there's 22 races this year. Originally it was 23 races but the whole Russia(Sochi)-Ukraine issue happened, F1 dropped Sochi.

RedBull MIGHT, and I stress might, take a 4th component or components at the end of the year.....depending on how they "stress" said components. IF Ferrari keep the pressure up against RedBull, then there is a high probability RedBull will go into component(s) #4. IF Ferrari don't keep up the pressure against RedBull, then RedBull will "coast" said component(s) thereby extending the "life expectancy" of said component(s).

pilotoCS likes this.
  8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    @DiamondDog

I usually post the component allotment allocation or "components used" for each driver either on the upcoming GP thread (for example Silverstone is the next up-coming GP so I'll either post it in there or in the Free practice 1/2/3 thread).

I don't know your personal schedule but it's something you need to keep an eye out for it as most of the regulars(FChatters) know this rule already and stay on top of when posted.

When I post it, I'll "mention" your call sign like I just did at the beginning of this post so you can get an idea of the components used for each driver.

Any questions, feel free to ask as myself and others will chime in. There are no "ignorant" or "dumb" questions here on FChat in the F1 forum.

DiamondDog and william like this.