Leakdown test results, not good, head re-builder options? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Leakdown test results, not good, head re-builder options?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ThomasK, Sep 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Why only 18? Were some still ok?

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Whats the other piece.

How do you get the correct torque or is it torqued by rotations

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I got it now thanks

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is just the handle, the other piece is the stubby 15mm wrench that goes into that handle. The torque wrench fits 90 degrees to that handle and makes the torque reading correct on the wrench. The setting however is a low torque at the beginning and an additional 90 degrees after that.

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The tool needs to be 2 pieces so when it breaks you only need to replace half. I bought the tool. The issue with these tools is the low volume - that's what drives the cost. Our spark plug boot tool is pretty darn cheap at $60 (you bought one Mitch) but I think we've only sold 20 or so. Hardly worth programming the machine but I do many of these things for myself and just to offer cool stuff for the community.

Perhaps one day but it's low on the list.

6. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    thats probably what mine look like inside. what did you end up doing with that head? clean carbon off and reinstall?
    since i have this engine torn down for a major/30k, i figure i remove this cylinder head. i did get cylinder 1 from 25% to 5% leakdown by spraying some cleaner in the exhaust ports and using a pick and small brush to try and clean. i tried that on cylinder 2 but didnt work, still 25%. plus, i dont know how much carbon bits im dislodging into the bore.
    since ive decided to make the executive decision to pull the head, is there a way i could clean off all the carbon myself with the improved access of the head being removed?

7. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    thanks!

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm doing a full restoration of the car - hopefully it will be done in my lifetime;)

I'm Fully rebuilding the heads (myself) and will be installing manganese bronze guides and all new valves.

9. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    engine was running perfectly. but i am OCD when it comes to my cars, this amount of leak down makes me want to just pull the head off and inspect.
    i would like to pull the head off and clean up the combustion chamber and valves and reassemble.
    i think much over 10% leak down is a typical for investigation whether its through the valves or the rings. since mine all seem isolated to the exhaust valves, i think this rabbit hole isnt too deep, just get the heads cleaned up and im ready to go.

10. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    i would really prefer to get this head off and clean it up, then reinstall.
    the car is a 99 and does have steel valve guides, so i dont think its a valve guide issue.
    just dont know an easier way to get carbon off of the valve seats other than pull the head and get it all removed and checked at the same time.

i think someone just didnt drive this car hard enough.
    ive also heard of using seafoam injected into the intake? but i dont think i want to rely on that. the subframe is out, everything off ready to go, might as well break into it.

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Tom - unless you need to replace the valves (possible) you can take it all apart and clean. Probably need to dress seats which will result in a slight valve height adjustment. That's a whole other can a worms for the compound angle valves.

12. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Two years ago I was looking to buy a 35 from a dealer in NJ. They admitted leak down of the traded in car was not ideal, but the said their move was to drive it for few weeks (Italian for sure) and re-assess compression. In my view unless it's a race car and you need every 10ths performance, there's no need to open up an engine for refresh. Tired valve guides and high oil consumption with visible smoking entirely a different matter.

13. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    i would definitely agree with you most of the time. but in this case, all the trouble cylinders are on 1-4 (one head removal only), i started cleaning 1-2 exhaust ports and probably knocked off some carbon bits in the bore i would like to get out, engine is out for a major anyway, i could clean the tops of the pistons, and ive been driving it pretty hard for a year, so i would assume the carbon on the exhaust valves would have cleaned out by now.
    im confident all but maybe 5% of the leak down is due to the exhaust valves, i can feel a lot of air escaping through them. Now is the time to check it out, "while im here"

14. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    They were literally rocking in the valve guides. He said the valves were "hammered". They were sent back to me and I gave them away as souvenirs to friends.

15. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    For carbon removal I go to my chevy dealer and get the GM top end cleaner.

16. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi everyone, sorry for the bump but I think this is more efficient than making a new thread. I'd like to clean out any carbon build up in my heads/valves prior to doing a leakdown/compression test to mitigate the possibility of bad compression/leakdown numbers being from carbon buildup.

This is what I want to buy, correct? If so, how do I administer the dose? I seem to remember reading just to pour it in the intake just after the air filter. Or do I just inject it in the ports that are used to balance the throttle bodies?

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-3015-Engine-Injector-Cleaner/dp/B07CZ17LK3/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3Q1RM3EPJ67AE&keywords=gm+top+end+cleaner&qid=1656360889&sprefix=gm+top+end+cleaner,aps,91&sr=8-2

It is worth noting that this is a 32oz bottle. They also make a 16oz bottle and also one in aerosol form. I am concerned about hydro locking the engine as well as damaging the MAFs. I'd like to know the correct procedure. Thanks!

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    On my STI we would draw sea foam into the intake manifold from a vacuum port.

steved033 and PaulK like this.
  18. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Water > seafoam

19. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks! I'll look into sea foam but I did have a friend who had it done to his car and it caused a CEL and high idle.

I'm not going to use water on this. But thanks for the suggestion

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  21. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I've done that on a couple cars...One was a 1968 fury, the other an old C10. I smoke checked the neighborhood twice....LOL

sjd

22. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I have this setup from BG and love it. on my third setup as the first 2 were never returned :)