Irvine | FerrariChat

Irvine

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by rob lay, Jun 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Mia will be competing at the Woodbridge Cross Country Classic in Irvine this fall. It is at Orange County Great Park.

Appears John Wayne is the best airport as close and cheap direct flights from DFW.

Mia will be with the team, so it will just be me and Lin or me and my mom.

Places to stay? Things to do?

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    https://lyonairmuseum.org/
    https://marconimuseum.org/about/

There is a marriot at irvine spectrum
    Close is good because traffic is never good.

Mia at least a freshman in high school? When my kid was a freshman every placed we visited with a college we visited the schools. I think that helped my kid formulate where she wanted to go. Ultimately she went to UC Irvine engineering. For a California school UCI has huge advantages many other schools lack.

There is a strong Vietnamese community close by so lots of good Pho here. IN n' Out burgers are a staple here just starting to have a few of those restaurants showing up in Texas. If you have not had one they are the best fast burger....just order "double double animal style."

dinoart and rob lay like this.
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    She will be with the team the entire time, so I can't get her away for a college visit. She will be a Sophomore this fall. Heck, she hadn't even started High School yet and last summer I had her do the college tour at Durango. :) Athletics wise won't get too serious until Junior year.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    go to downtown laguna beach. nice walking around town and the beach is right there. a proper beach. not like those things in texas:p
    for dinner go to Javiers mex food in newport beach. upscale setting. reasonable prices. a date place. a proper mex restaurant. not like that stuff served called texmex:p
    enjoy orange counties smooth roads. not like those washboards seen in the lone star state:p
    enjoy morning coffee(peets) at the beach without the humidity or the bugs.:p
    for shopping go to South Coast Plaza. very upscale mall.
    on sat morning there will be a c and c somewhere.
    enjoy

5. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    There used to be a fun dinner cruise boat that goes around the newport marina harbor, you might want to google it.

rob lay likes this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    oh no, I will have to bring along my cowboy hat to show it's bigger. :D

7. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Petersen. Long walk, but not bad via car (45 mins/hr.). Restaurant at museum may not be open yet, but Met Her at a Bar is pretty good, and right around the corner ...

https://www.metheratabar.com

Go Mia!!

rob lay likes this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Mia's on the far right. Their Varsity top 14 is at an altitude camp in Colorado right now. We have a great program 80 girls out for the team and nationally ranked. Mia went from ranked 52nd to 12-13th by end of Freshman year. Team usually finishes in the Top 3-5 in California, Newbury Park has been pretty dominate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tenney likes this.
  9. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Okay, so maybe an easy jog to the museum, then? Too cool!

rob lay likes this.
  10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The wife and I visited the Mercedes Benz Classic Center in Irvine when we were there about a decade ago. It was a fun morning. Had a gorgeous Gullwing (liquid silver / red) on display - and for sale - when we stopped in.

We flew into/outta John Wayne...T

rob lay likes this.
  11. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    No doubt there will be Cars and Coffee or similar on Saturday and/or Sunday. And there is chance the FCA Southwest region will have some sort of event going on

rob lay likes this.
  12. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Rob, I take my 308 to a gathering every Sat morning from 7-9 in Tustin off the 55. Its mostly a Porsche gathering but other makes appear. You never know whats going to be there. A few FCA guys show up once in awhile.
    Youre welcome to join me. I can pick you up. You hang out for a few and get back to your gang. The option we might have have is another group that is meeting at Salt Creek Beach a little further south at Monarch Beach. Thats 6-10 I think. I havent been but im on a discrete email list that lets the group know where theyre meeting. Let me know if youre interested and PM me. We can discuss which one.

rob lay likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I appreciate the offer, looking at the schedule I think Mia's elite race will be pretty late 8:54 and then the final race 9:54, so we won't be done until 11. We'll probably sleep in Saturday morning because we have to fly out early Sunday. I will keep this in mind though, if not then would love to meet up with some FerrariChat users.

308Dadoo likes this.
  14. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Go whale watching. Not expensive and even if you don’t see whales, the scenery from the boat is spectacular. Go out of Newport

Eat Mexican and Asian Food. Too many places to list. If you want recs, let me know

Go to the Ferrari museum in Tustin. Marconi

Get an in n out burger at some point

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

rob lay likes this.
  15. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Chaak in Tustin is so much better than Javier’s. Much more u inquest Mexican food and not such a “night club” environment. Still very upscale. Great bar. Glass room that opens up like Dallas Cowboy stadium.

Tourists go to Javier’s, the foodies go to Chaak. Micheal Rossi from Napa Rose and the Ranch just joined their team

OCKlasse, vf430 and rob lay like this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, narrowing down where to stay.

We can hit Marconi day we fly in 1:30pm. Mia’s race location doesn’t matter as we won’t drive there until 8pm.

I’m thinking hotel with ocean view Laguna Beach as that’s where we’ll spend 75% of our time?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Ok. If you want beach views and spend money the ritz Laguna Niguel is awesome. Eno steak in that hotel is best in class. Love sitting at the indoor bar there.

Montage is great

But locals in the know put their friends here because it’s local and close to freeway access but in a nice area views of the back bay. Minutes to beach. Across from fletcher jones Mercedes. Access to Irvine and all you want to do will be so easy. The rates will be so much cheaper than anything you are looking at. You will be so happy, you will probably offer to buy me a drink with all the money you save while being in a great location. https://www.visitnewportbeach.com/hotels/newport-beach-marriott-bayview/

Go to Chaak in Tustin on the day you go to Marconi. Even if for a drink or brunch

rob lay likes this.
  18. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Also, go to Diamond Jamboree shopping center on the corner of jamboree and Alton. All the hip Asian Food.

I can help you navigate the food. Your kids will like it.

Go hike at Top of the World for hiking. Laguna Beach. 2 easy mile trail

rob lay likes this.
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    perfect, just the reason I'm asking advice here!

20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    there is a nice hotel on hwy one overlooking luguna beach. next door to las brisas restaurant. very nice little place.
    there is also a michelin one star japanese takeout restaurant in costa mesa. inexpensive.

rob lay likes this.
  21. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    I think you are a ramen fan. Quite a few in Orange County (locals never say “the OC”)

I’ve tried them ALL

The best is still here https://www.santouka.co.jp/en/shop-foreign/usa/foreign01-003

Inside the grocery store Mitsuwa. https://www.santouka.co.jp/en/shop-foreign/usa/foreign01-003

I’ve tried to find better as it’s in a food court, but can’t find better

The Costa Mesa location has all kinds of interesting Japanese stores. The Irvine one is closer to your daughters race and Marconi

Don’t forget to go to SomiSomi and get red beans and Icecresm encased in a fish waffle. All Japanese style. https://www.somisomi.com

[/URL]

tomc and rob lay like this.
  22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The Inn at Laguna Beach?

23. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Probably referring to Surf and Sand.

Tourists love it. I think it’s very over rated. Ritz is better. Too many tourists around there. And don’t get me started on Las Brisas restaurant. Tourist trap

Heard good things about https://www.balboabayresort.com

Directly across from Ferrari Newport

Grab a pizza at Pizza Mozza if you stay there and make sure you get the Nancy Silvermans salad. I never order salad, but this salad is incredible. It’s a upscale place

Rent a Duffy boat and cruise around the bay

kenwidmerpool and rob lay like this.
  24. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    yes! great location.

Attached Files:

rob lay likes this.
  25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    quick question, staying Newport Beach Marriot Bayview. should I get reservations ahead or will I be able to wing it for the weekend just to see where we need up each night and close?

Texas Forever likes this.