How do you respond? | FerrariChat

How do you respond?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dazed2day, Jun 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dazed2day

Dazed2day Karting

Jun 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Wondering how people respond back to people giving you attention, like thumbs up or taking photos etc while driving? Being rather shy by nature I'm never sure how to respond back in a nice way. Throw duces? Wave? Nod?

SognoF8 likes this.
  2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    wave

SognoF8 likes this.
  3. AirKuhl

AirKuhl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 23, 2004
    Who da ho?
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm fond of double metal horns \m/ \m/ with some crazy tongue wagging.

iMrMark, SognoF8 and SeattleStew like this.
  4. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What you're describing is well-intended acknowledgement. A smile. A wink and a nod. I try being gracious.

SognoF8, AD211 and sampelligrino like this.
  5. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I find it very humbling. I smile wave and say or “mouth” thank you!

SognoF8, AD211 and sampelligrino like this.
  6. AirKuhl

AirKuhl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 23, 2004
    Who da ho?
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Kidding aside, I smile and wave.

Keep in mind, it's often not easy for that person to see you inside your car, so subtlety is lost. I once did a thumbs-up and someone seemed to get mad. I realized that my thumbs-up may have looked like I was flipping him off. o_O

SognoF8 likes this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    A guy tried to get into my 488 Spider yesterday at gas station to take a selfie. It was bizarre.
    I was chatting with a different guy standing at back of car, really nice enthusiast. This other guy pulls up, walks over, opens the driver’s door and started to get in.
    I said, “What the **** do you think you’re doing!?” As I walked around to door, grabbed it and shut it. He said he wanted to take a selfie and I told him you don’t just go and try to climb into a guy’s car and told him to **** off.

8. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Positive attention I usually smile and wave, give the hang loose sign. Just kind of depends on the situation, I usually don't pay attention to other people when I'm driving, so I honestly don't notice it much. If I'm parked, I'll be nice and chat if they want to chat (unless I'm in a bit of a hurry), but I try to be gracious and be a good ambassador of the brand when we are stereotyped as being rich ****** bags all too often.

When I get negative attention, I'll usually just drive off. Roll my window up if necessary, walk away, whatever it takes to just disengage.

Last summer it seemed to be all the rage on social media to shove a camera phone in an exotic car owners face and ask what they did for a living. I get that question a lot, but until last summer it was never for their likes on tiktok. I'm always happy to answer the question until a phone is stuck in my face.

9. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A wave and a smile - coupled with a visible "thank you" seems to work pretty well :)

SognoF8 likes this.
  10. AirKuhl

AirKuhl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 23, 2004
    Who da ho?
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I was eating dinner in Spokane yesterday and someone was slowly walking around the car, peering inside, looking at the brakes, etc. I walked outside, said hi and asked him if he had any questions. Offered to let him sit inside. Had a great conversation, his wife took pics. They were super polite and appreciative.

Went on a drive near Grand Coulee Dam not long ago. A bunch of people came up to see the cars, we let many kids sit in them and take selfies.

I often let people sit inside the car, talk about it, open the hood, etc. The more car enthusiasts we create, the more people realize we're just normal guys that like cars, the less likely some idiot keys it in a parking lot.
    I was never jealous of nice cars when I was a kid that didn't have 2 nickels to rub together, it was an inspiration to own one someday.

11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Just a polite wave or nod in the Ferraris.

What I am noticing more is the STO, which has always evoked far more crowd reaction, is that it is starting to get a lot of negative attention. Gotten the middle finger at least twice in the past month, always the bereft redneck in an old truck.

I ignore it, knowing they’ll never comprehend the meaning of 10 years of night school, or what it took to get here.

Il Tifoso, iMrMark, randkin and 4 others like this.
  12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I smile and nod then drop it to neutral and give them some high revs.

rob5819 and AD211 like this.
  13. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I do the exact same thing!! I also had the same thoughts as a kid. It puts such a smile on a kids face when I offer to let them sit inside and have their parents take photos. Unfortunately a lot of people that think owners of supercars are not nice and I do what I can to dispel that. Taking 5-10 extra minutes at a stop to let people sit inside or ask questions really makes a difference to them. (I’ve often searched for photos afterward and it’s nice to see them posted and nice comments).

Il Tifoso, iMrMark and Chizz like this.
  14. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    The attention I get on the east side of the mountains is significantly more than the west side, that’s for sure! I’ve been out to the tri-cities, ellensburg, chelan and a few other areas in the 812 and it is always getting attention. If I stop, people love to ask me about it, and I’m happy to answer questions and let them take pictures

15. Bigbobo

Bigbobo Karting

Jul 25, 2020
    Northern CA
    I usually wave back and smile.

16. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
  17. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Love that. I feel the same

18. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    +1 Awesome!!

19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Chizz likes this.
  21. Every time I return home from a drive, I always scroll through Instagram with #Ferrari #Pista looking for my car.

For that very reason, I always smile and waive. Always want to look photogenic and friendly on the Interwebs.

22. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
  23. RoadRonin

RoadRonin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2020
    San Francisco
    Eric C likes this.
  24. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I just say it’s not my car. Lol. It’s funny, if I was in the 458, hardly anyone would look as they crossed the street in front of me. Same with 812, they don’t start much. The Pista gets a lot of people poking their wife or friend and pointing for them to look at it. I live in socal, but not in Beverly Hills or anything where there are exotics on every corner. I’m always surprised to see another one in the area. Wonder what my neighbors think!