What Happened with Dino Values!!! | Page 9 | FerrariChat

What Happened with Dino Values!!!

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Mar 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Alex,

Having owned by (carbed) Boxer for 16 years now, I can say that it can be used as a daily driver without issue. The engine is simply unflinching from idle and up and is not cranky or upset if one simply toodles along at low speeds and, I might add, has zero overheating issues. I find the steering light along with the clutch (hydraulic) and so no real effort to drive the Boxer within the City. Visibility all around is fantastic (unlike the Countach) which again complements daily driving. Even the seats are quite comfortable. The only real negative is the so-so A/C which is crippled further because of the heat generated from the Coolant lines running through the Centre tunnel. Servicing a boxer is also a non issue, as engine access is amazing. For those items that cannot be accessed from the top or bottom, then a engine out is required... which takes about 6-7 hours to remove and allows unfettered access to everything. For those that have not driven a Boxer, I would suggest that you take out a well sorted car, as I think most would be very impressed. They truly are a hidden gem.

Cheers,

Sam

pshoejberg, Martyt and V12addict like this.
  2. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Sam,

I’ve test driven a Boxer (albeit injected), and agree that they are under-rated.

I was mostly talking about the general impression that folks have of the cars; removed from any direct experience with them.

Though I will say that even though a Boxer might well be fine to drive regularly, I myself would hesitate a bit to take a car like that out a lot. While one maybe should not care what others think, I do feel like something like a Dino gives the impression of a quirky old classic car owner, while a Boxer gives the impression of a super-car owner, and the latter impression can be problematic in some places...

BTW: Envious of your car. Like I said, to me, it really gives-off a Prototype vibe from behind the wheel, and when one pops-open the rear cover.

Cheers,
    Alex

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Alex,

Indeed, I can certainly understand your perspective. The Dino is simply gorgeous and unassuming given the curves, etc. As for the Boxer, my experience has been that most assume that it is a 308 and so their impressions tend to be muted given the visibility and popularity of 308's being used in variety of TV and film. In fact most would not even consider the Boxer as a super car, because of it being relatively unknown except by those who are enthusiasts. That said, you are quite right that any high end or expensive car can certainly provoke negative attention these days. It is a shame really, as the negative behaviour tends to limit regular outings of interesting and unique cars.

That is great that you had some seat time in a Boxer, as you know first hand all of its merits. The Injected car is certainly easier to live with than carbs and performance is relatively comparable. That is not to say that carbs are a problem, but they can be these days as there are very few people and shops that truly know how to tune and maintain carbs (Webers are almost infinitely adjustable) which is compounded by today's fuel formulations. For me, the symphony of the carbs is something I truly enjoy and so influenced my decision on which model to buy... which could probably be said for Dino owners too. As for being envious... well... that depends if you like smelling like petrol after a drive :) which to me is my preferred fragrance :)

As for the comparable feel of the Boxer, etc... I can certainly understand your prototype vibe comment, as the driving experience is pretty raw which is even more apparent when compared to the refinement of the Boxer's successor, the Testarossa. I have not driven a Dino in quite sometime and certainly not back to back between both cars. It would be interesting to note the sensory differences between the two by an unbiased tester. That said, both cars are magnificent.

Cheers,

Sam

375+ likes this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The first BB I ever drove was a 365 in original Euro spec. I took it out on an Interstate in light traffic and was just getting a feel for the car. I came upon some slower traffic ahead and was alarmed by the speed differential. It was doing 180 kph--and the car was just loafing!

V12addict likes this.
  5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I absolutely love Dinos, and are one of my absolute favorite cars ever, but the Boxer is just on a much higher plane at every perspective.

cnpapa24 likes this.
  6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  7. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    Not that I am counting pennies on the values, but also note, Urotrash, that that Dino is coming back to the US, which I believe is roughly $10k in shipping, and I believe ~$10k (2.5%) on import duties, and with $5K BaT fees brings it to an even $400k for a US buyer for this beautiful coupe.

There js now a nice US GTS listed and will be fun to watch. It was built near mine (chassis # 04264, built Dec 27, 1972). Mine is 04122, build July 12, 1972).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-ferrari-dino-246-gts/

I noticed that is has clapper wipers like mine, but they had switched over to the round air intakes on the undertray. Mine still has the flat undertray So the switchover on the flat to round holes undertray must have been some time in the fall of ‘72, with clappers to parallel being a later switchover).

Photo from the BaT listing below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

rynoshark, 375+ and UroTrash like this.
  8. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    I (like many I am sure) get the daily Bring a Trailer email. I like it when iconic cars end up listed next to each other, showing the variety of options to the world in all their glory. This morning, these two came up next to each other.. I know which one I would rather have!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    That is an unflattering photo of the GTS.

Since we can all agree there are NO awkward angles to a Dino I can only assume a (too) long lens was used causing compression of the subject.

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Terrible technique :rolleyes:

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    This Dino was originally a US car, so I don't believe import duties apply in this case. Another BaT poster also pointed this out.

12. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Edward 96GTS likes this.
  13. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I'd love to own a BB one day...especially in Blue Chairo. I have no desire for a Daytona...but still lust for many of the great 12s produced prior to the Daytona.

375+ likes this.
  14. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    I think all you BB-loving guys are posting on the wrong forum (this is the 206/246 forum) and on the wrong topic (this thread is on Dino values).

I know you BB-owners are jealous that whilst Dino values have climbed over the last few years, that BB-values have declined - but posting in this thread on how great-a-car BB's are will not increase the value of the BB. Its low value versus the Dino is driven by the fact that buyers rate the Dino higher than a BB.

As a suggestion, why don't you BB-guys start a thread "Why is nothing happening to BB values" on the Boxers/TR/M Forum and stop diluting this thread with off-topic jealousy?

UroTrash and Martyt like this.
  15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Many Dino owners have more than one Ferrari.

swift53 likes this.
  16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Papa Enzo would be proud.

17. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    At a half million $$ plus, do you really think that kind of maintenance/economy/value is a big deal to the buyers out there?

V12addict and Martyt like this.
  18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #218 miurasv, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Yes, I do think the more reasonable maintenance costs are a factor, even for the wealthy buyers. It's a plus for the Dino, just as the significantly higher maintenance costs of a Boxer are a negative, which may adversely affect their values.

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    David, I think that BB values have been argued against Dino values Vs Daytona, et al. Ferrari of the era.
    We could toss in the odd Stratos, why not?

I see this as a pocket comparison tool, very appropriate to the topic, thus a useful set of commentaries.
    Buyers rate the Dino higher than a BB? I don't think so. A BB, is great car, as is a Daytona, as is ...a 911.

Jealousy has no bearing here, as unless you are, please manifest it and we Dinolanders will keel haul you :)
    Keep up the great commentaries, please!

Regards, Alberto

375+ likes this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    All hail Alberto!

Martyt likes this.
  21. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Click thru to the listing on BAT. Much better pix there .

UroTrash likes this.
  22. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #222 UroTrash, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Martyt and Skippr1999 like this.
  23. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    This forum is called " Ferrarichat.com " a place where Ferrari gear heads and enthusiasts exchange information and idea for the enjoyment of their cars. They didn't call call it " Ferraripissingcontest.com " so some can say my toy is worth more than yours. Most of us are not into investments and values and more into the experience of whatever we drive.

375+ and swift53 like this.
  24. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes, the Forum is called "FerrariChat", but within the Forum is a Section called "206/246" and within that specific section is a thread focused very specifically on "What Happened to Dino Values!!!"

So have no issue with any chat about BB's from "Ferrari gear heads", but I think general points such as "The first BB I ever drove was a 365 in original Euro spec. I took it out on an Interstate in light traffic and was just getting a feel for the car. I came upon some slower traffic ahead and was alarmed by the speed differential. It was doing 180 kph--and the car was just loafing!" have no relevance to this thread (or even the 206/246 section). It adds no value and most people reading a thread on Dino values could care less about someone's random view on a drive in a BB - so why post that here? Why not be considerate to the OP and the rest of us interested in the substance of the thread (i.e. Dino values) and start a new topic in the BB section?

Now I think your attitude shown with "FerrariPissingContest" is very childish. Wanting to understand the value of one's possessions is not a pissing contest and no one posting here has implied their "toy" (I assume you mean Dino in this context) is worth more than someone else's! This topic for those interested in the trends of Dino values over the short term, that is all.

And if that is a topic that doesn't interest you, then just don't read the thread....

... and if you can't stay away from this thread on Dino values, then please:try to stick with the topic opened by the OP and on't denigrate those that have an interest in the topic the thread is on.

Martyt and UroTrash like this.
  25. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    I never said people didn't have more than one Ferrari, nor did I say people should only discuss one model of Ferrari, or marque!

I own six Ferrari, including a Dino - but I don't randomly post wherever and whatever comes onto my head. For example, when I wish to engage with others about my 458 Challenge, I post in the Challenge / GT section. And when I want to say something about Dino's I post in the 206/246 section. I also don't hijack threads and switch topics / start conversations with others that are away from the topic..

It is common sense and common courtesy....