Hamilton deserves more respect | Page 163 | FerrariChat

Hamilton deserves more respect

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Will that be the end of the matter? I doubt it.

Some people will make more mileage out of that story.

Jeronimo GTO and jpalmito like this.
  3. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Was it meant as a racial slur? Maybe, maybe not. We've heard from a native speaker that it can be used as both a term of endearment, and a racial slur in the same country. But just like the boy who cried wolf, with Piquet's history of purposefully deeming, insulting, rude, unsportsmanlike, ungentlemanly behavior and comments, he loses the ability to claim he's been misunderstood. If this was a person who was always known as polite, open, accepting, then yes, we could pass this off as a slip, or a misunderstanding. But Nelson is someone who used to openly call another drivers wife ugly, and has been proud of his antisocial behavior, so he gets judged by his past, frequent and repeated actions. And that fact the people are somehow blaming Lewis for this just shows the unhinged lengths people will go too, to put him down on this forum.

Terra, Mosin and fer312t like this.
  4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I do agree with you Adrian. I always admired him as the driver (except for his spell at Lotus, were he was, frankly, disappointing) but felt so disgusted by his lack of class.
    My feeling is that, if there was no bad intent (and the appreciation of the portuguese-speaking F-Chatters is interesting), then surely there is no need for such a long apology, which very much looks like a "guilty" admittance.
    Oh well; is this "Formula One" these days? Reminds me when someone ruffled Jimmy Clark's feathers by telling him he was "british", only to get a razor-sharp answer "I am SCOTTISH, and don't you ever forget it"; those were the days.
    Rgds

jpalmito likes this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Storm in a teacup over...it probably started because translation apps/software sites programs whatever you call it are still far from perfect to say the least, particularly so for slang in any language. Like autocorrect inserting mistakes all the time. Anyone who also writes SMS and Whatsapp messages in several languages knows what I mean.

That being said (1) yes Nelson has a history that goes against him of calling senna gay and a Sao Paulo taxi driver and Mansell's wife ugly.

That being said (2) my father spent a whole day with him (accompanied by one of one of his young sons) representing BMW France when the factory lent a procar M1 long term to the Schlumpf museum. They traveled there together and he said he was very pleasant. Nelson signed a Procar photo for me but wrote Marco. When my father said it is Marc he tried to smudge the o away so you can see the smudges and that makes it a neat memento.

I never spoke with him but when he smashed his legs at Indy and his helmet came inches from the wall I wrote a post card to Memorial hospital stating Nelson vencedor o anno prossimo (winner next year). He did show up the next year after a typically gritty recovery and was at least able to start before he had tech trouble.

6. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Funny side bar. I'd like to see what he actually said, because he certainly was British, and Scottish. What he wasn't, and may have been meant, is that he most certainly wasn't English.

The number of people how don't know the difference between England (or Scotland, Wales etc), Britain, Great Britain, the British isles etc. is alarming, but I doubt Jim Clark was one of them.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled battle of bashing and defending LCH.

375+ and william like this.
  7. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    It started because social networks are full of mediocrity and because big companies like Mercedes or Ferrari are afraid of their supposed influence.

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Will try to find you the quote, Adrian, but it might take more than a few days; usually, I try my best to come back (= I very much care about the "droit de suivi", meaning something must not be forgotten, but cleared), but I shall be at "Le Mans Classic" this week-end, so no time to have a look at the archives).
    This story with Piquet's quote about Lawis is somehow weird: it's about something he said 8 months ago...talk about a storm in a teacup...

Rgds

Adrian Thompson and 375+ like this.
  9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE

I social media danno diritto di parola a legioni di imbecilli che prima parlavano solo al bar dopo un bicchiere di vino, senza danneggiare la collettività. Venivano subito messi a tacere, mentre ora hanno lo stesso diritto di parola di un Premio Nobel. È l’invasione degli imbecilli”.

Umberto Eco, laurea honoris causa in «Comunicazione e Cultura dei media» a Torino, 11 Giugno 2015

Rgds

10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Exactly.

Bas likes this.
  11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've seen pictures of Mansell's wife and I've seen pictures of Piquet's wife(s). All I can say is, the man had impeccable taste!

lagunacc and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    He pinched Sylvia from another driver; de Angelis I think and it happened during a long haul flight! Not uncommon, Corinna Schumacher dated Frentzen before Schuey.

Jack-the-lad and Bas like this.
  13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

14. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Absolutely right - disgusting isn't it?

People here ending up blaming Lewis (looking for publicity, blah, blah) just as I said they would :D

Adrian Thompson likes this.
  15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    If what Piquet said was such an attack then it would have sparked at the time. The fact that it’s blown up many months later means that some people had an agenda. What is it and why?

16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Damon Hill has now decided to make himself relevant by opining…..

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Something like…..

Good job. I think that was a genuine apology accompanied by a credible explanation, without sounding either obsequious or defensive. This should be an end to it.

JJ, jgonzalesm6 and Nembo1777 like this.
  18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Piquet said stuff about senna 30 years ago and something about Mansell wife are reasons for why some think he said it in a racist way? 2 instances in 40 years or so?

Ridiculous.

Has he ever behaved in a racist way would be the more serious question to ask.

As a Brazilian, I grew up using that word when talking to my cousins and whatnot. They still use that word as both a friendly way to say dude or to name someone you interacted with of no particular importance. Just like Americans used to call each other ***** before people thought it would be great to find racism in that too.

Clowns.

lagunacc, stavura, Bas and 4 others like this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    :rolleyes:

20. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Lol, what American word are you talking about?
    "Find Racism"? That word has never not been explicitly racist (expect in very specific contexts said by select persons)

It also amuses me that Brazilians in this particular forum (who just happen to be virulent Hamilton haters coincidentally) are are so very charitable re: Nelson's usage of the tern vs. their countryman in other motorsports forums, who offer up a much more complete accounting of the word, and it's very variable meaning dependent on context. And It's very clear was no affection in this context.

Nelson's apology is the typical "I make no defense for it....and now here's my defense... and btw other people are taking it wrong."

Better than nothing I guess but not much.
    Always was a rotten human being. Still is.

Phil~ likes this.
  21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    He is so stupid.
    No surprises.

22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Considering Max is seriously dating Nelson’s daughter could this be an attempt to shake his concentration and break his championship momentum ....? Perhaps.

23. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

***** is the word im referring to. It used to be used as "Dude" for years before it magically became offensive. Now, only black stars can use. Everyone else is canceled.

And yes, you can find racism by implying someone is racist bc they use that word. Negao or neginho or even *****. Millions of people have used that word without a single ounce of racism. But people who want to find racism will always convince themselves they know better even though they know nothing in most cases.

lagunacc, Bas, jpalmito and 1 other person like this.
  24. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I cant write that word bc Fchat is offended by it. It starts with an N and ends with an A. Has 2 G in it.