F355 Market | Page 380 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree that they were direct competitors, but it was the 993 that saved Porsche if I remember correctly. They freshened up the classic 911 styling without having to spend significant money on development costs and ended up selling a lot of cars. When the 996 came out they had significant costs changing over from the air cooled to water cooled motors.

2. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    According to my reading, they had to pivot to water cooled to save the company. The 993 was a last gasp. They built the 996 and 993 at the same time, transitioning and using the VW / Audi tech to cut cost and build real value into their ROI for the “new” 911. I have the book in my office that details the story. We all know the huge controversy on the lighting, but they wanted to redefine the entirety of the line of cars. The 996 bore the Boxster and Cayenne and they generated the huge market share for Porsche. They were “in the clear.” And could survive the changing climatology in Germany.

The 993 is the last of “hand-built” small production Porsches. 996 brought them into the Modern era. I will find the book and send a reference. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Andrews and Senshi458 like this.
  3. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
  4. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They had to go the water cooled motor to meet new emissions requirements and thought that they had taken the air cooled motor as far as they could. The first boxsters came out in 1996 before the 996 was made and production didn’t start until 2003 for the Cayenne. They did start making the 996 toward the end of the 993’s production run.

WillskiGT likes this.
  5. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    This is not a contest?!? Fine you can be 100% correct and still be wrong, but go ahead. We are saying basically the same thing. I referenced the “climatology” of Germany is why they built the water cooled engines. The tech of the air cooled engine has plenty of positives, but the emissions are huge negative. Of course you know that.

You can Wikipedia the entire story. Adrian Streather has written extensively about it. Porsche was dying. The 928 broke them. The 968 broke them. The 996 saved the company. Porsche decided to roll the Boxster out first to finish up all the materials and orders on 993’s. As a life long Porsche guy, none of us like the 996 (The 996 Turbo may get a pass) I won’t even deal in regular 996’s. The 997 is a nice car. Huge improvement. But this discussion was born out of the 355 saving Ferrari - IT DID. The 996 (and Boxster) saved Porsche. The headlamps are the design element that ties all Porsches for about 5 years. The 911 went back to single “roundish” lamps due to consumer design demand/heritage in the 997.

But what do I know or care!?!? It is a thread on 355 market trends, our general topic du jour for dialogue. But apparently you need more than that? My point (s): 355 Saved Ferrari - well technically Fiat group did. 996 saved Porsche. The 996 is “new” Porsche where as the 993 is more like Ferrari, but way, way better than Classic Ferrari (308/328/Mondial). 993’s are plentiful. Their value is overrated compared to a 355 which most of us on here believe, but the 993 seems to be better built - more Teutonic. Faster as a Turbo.

Really just a silly back and forth over a nothing burger. So you can win. How many 993’s and 355’s have you owned? Can you give first hand seat experience? Just asking. I am sure you have many of each now, to share you “seat of the pants” experience. That might be a better discussion. I have no idea your experience, cars, etc. So I am just asking. Would rather enjoy a beer over this than type back and forth. Cheers!

6. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Rob, just thought it was interesting on different perspectives. Nothing more. I have a 95 F355 that I have owned since 2011 and a 993 Carrera S since 2004. I didn’t want to go through all my old Porsche magazine and books so I googled what car saved Porsche and the search came up with the Boxster. Not trying to win or lose.:)

carnutdallas likes this.
  7. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Beers on me :)

jimmym likes this.
  8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Wasn't part of the motivation for the Boxster and the BMW Z3 the success of the Mazda Miata? I seem to recall a lot of comparisons.

9. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It very well might be the case John. I don’t know tons of details on the Boxster. I remember when the magazines were showing pictures of the Boxster prototype, it kind of had a 550 spyder vibe to it, or at least to me it did.:). I really liked it.

10. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Doug., 355dreamer, 308 GTB and 10 others like this.
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  12. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    carnutdallas likes this.
  14. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The discussion starts with the second post of that link. This car went unsold on Pcar.

JSinNOLA likes this.
  16. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    That hyperlink only goes to the top of the current page!

But now I know which one you mean!

17. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    #9492 WillskiGT, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    The Boxster came 14 months before the 996. What saved the company was the consulting from Toyota that taught them to better manage inventory (just-in-time) and to share parts and development across models, which is why the front end of the 986 and 996.1 looked identical.

From release in 1996, the Boxster was the highest volume seller for Porsche until they released the Cayenne in 2003. The Boxster (and Toyota) saved Porsche.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-design/a28621/a-look-back-at-the-car-that-saved-porsche-20-years-of-the-boxster/

Back to the topic at hand, the 5x,xxx mile GTS in Arizona has been relisted at (varyingly): $199.9K, $210K, $215K over the last 3 days.

carnutdallas likes this.
  18. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Crazy.

If one's intention is to keep messing with the price why not just put it up for auction?

19. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    $500k GTS Gated 5575 miles. Discuss.

ShineKen likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Link?

21. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Location?

There is an 8.8k mile car listed at $370k.

22. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Listed or sold?

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    …. and there you have it folks. The F355 has surpassed the 993 Turbo.

carnutdallas likes this.
  24. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #9499 carnutdallas, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    At dinner…. But waiting on table. Dallas of course. Will PM those that inquired. Got one out before internet went weak. It is 3000 miles less than other known car. Having owned 7 cars, being slightly biased since I own this one, and owning an 8500 mile special spec in the past, this car is stunning and just about as new as I have experienced other than Classic Ferrari of Dallas in 1997 on the showroom floor.

ShineKen likes this.
  25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Good luck with the sale - i hope you get the ask!

carnutdallas likes this.