Family GT | FerrariChat

Family GT

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by diegolrz, Jun 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. diegolrz

diegolrz Rookie

Mar 27, 2022
    Dallas TX
    Well with the birth of our first daughter some things are changing and one of those is that we no longer fit in my Alfa 4C. It has now become my track car, but we miss doing road trips on it.

So I am looking for the best GT family car for less than 140k.

I started looking at the 456, now I am into the 612. I like the styling a lot. Test drove yesterday that wasn’t maintained well and the interior didn’t feel special. It drives great but I was disappointed at the quality of the interior overall. I am patiently waiting for an OTO to hit the market thinking that may be where the quality cars are at.

I know that at this budget the FF is in range. However I am still not fully onboard with the hatchback look. There is one for sale that I will go test drive this weekend just to experience it.

The other issue I have is that we need to be able to fit a car seat (daughter is 8 weeks old). Although I didn’t have the car seat with me, it didn’t seem like it would fit in the 612.

I have looked at the gran coupe BMWs (series 8) and the GT63S. But to be honest coming from the 4C I really enjoy the rare low production cars and I want something special for the road trips hence why I am looking at V12 Ferraris.

Any thoughts? Any other car that you would recommend I look at?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I would go 911 on this one

3. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Agreed they’ve had 60 years to get the 911 correct..

4. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    Could you tell me which 911 would make a good GT? Doesn't seem like you could fit a baby seat in the back of the 996, 997, 991?

5. diegolrz

diegolrz Rookie

Mar 27, 2022
    Dallas TX
    Yeah, I am not really interested in the Panamera (nor Taycan / electric cars) and, to Enzo Sebastian’s point, I also don’t see how I will fit a car seat in a 911.

6. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian

You know which GT you should get of course ;)... The GranTurismo. Beautiful car with Ferrari heritage.

technom3 likes this.
  7. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Cannot fit rear facing car seat in back of 911 but can fit one for 2 yr olds and up. Clicktight is the seat

8. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    365GT 2+2

V12 Ferrari. End it.

daytonaman likes this.
  9. diegolrz

diegolrz Rookie

Mar 27, 2022
    Dallas TX
    Thanks we will be looking at one today and we will see if the car seat fits! I appreciate your suggestions.

10. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Some other thoughts.. in addition to the rear facing car seat and space that needs, how much extra atuff are you carrying with the baby? Stroller, diaper bag and stuff, us your own things on a road trip. We got rid of a 330 convertible prior to our first when we realised the added a stuff and any stroller would make the usefulness of the car significantly less.

My current 456 can fit a pair of forward facing booster seats (kids are 7 & 4 now) but it wouldn't be comfortable with a rear facing infant seat. Trunk wise.. it is bigger than it looks, but if we had to haul a stroller too, i dunno that would be a family GT anymore (for the time being)

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    AM Rapide
    Bentley Continental
    Lamborghini Urus

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. bumcubed

bumcubed Karting

Apr 15, 2022
    Hi there, I have two kids (2 and 4) and have a Cali 30 and FF which they both love to ride. It depends what car seat you have, but Cybex Z (although front facing) would fit in the FF, and the FF back seat seems more spacious v. a S500 Cab (a217).

The FF is great in terms of comfort even in sport mode and is easy enough to drive in the city.

diegolrz likes this.
  13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I have a 2007 911s. You can fit a baby seat on the passenger side. You push the passenger seat all the way forward. Your wife will hate you but the baby seat will fit.

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Aserwti Gran Turismo can be an excellent choice.

Bentley is another solid choice

15. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    I have a 612 OTO with Daytona seats and the manual airbag switch for the passenger seat (and a little one due in Sept.). There is no isofix in my 612 so the car seat needs to secure with seatbelts.

Recently took the car to one of those baby stores that sells mainly strollers and car seats and marched many a model out of the store with a salesperson to check fit for a stroller in the trunk and a carseat in the rear in "rear" facing position.

Ended up with a Nuna Arra car seat and Nuna TRVL stroller. You will need the passenger seat no farther back than 50% of its travel. Unless the passenger in the front is over 6 ft or 183 cm it should not be a problem. If you have the spare tire option for a 612 you will need a smaller stroller.

In the past, I owned a Granturismo for 11 years and used it to haul around my now older kids. There is plenty of room in the back.

Good luck.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No hassle, headaches, "limited room" with a Merc S coupe.

I personally have a Brabus CL600 (216) and EVERYTHING fits with my 2 kids...they are now 13 and 11.

It's basically a shortened S class...room galore! And a wonderful V12!

17. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Oh, sorry to not explain more....regular Graco, Safety first, etc car seats will fit in the rear. Forward or rear facing. No more thousand dollar car seats needed.

Funny, at one point we had 12+ of those regular/affordable car seats and then boosters for all of the 4 seat cars/sedans we had (Maserati Qp, Gransport, Saleen mustang, CL600, truck, wife's car)

And no need to disengage front passenger airbag, etc. No brainer

18. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Pfft. I traveled up and down the East Coast with my 2003 996 Turbo and two front-facing kid seats in the back. My two boys got an absolute kick out of it and pumped their fists every time I hit the boost hard.

As for the extra kids equipment: don't be like the rest of 'em and just bring what's strictly needed. I grew up in Europe and my parents took me on every summer vacation trip in their FIAT with just an umbrella stroller (if at all). Today everything is jumbo-sized: prams are the size of small SUVs, diaper bags are as big as luggage people used two decades ago to go on vacation, and so on. Just get off the "awesome parenting" wagon and size down to what you really need. You'll see everything fits easily in a sports car.

19633500GT likes this.
  19. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Of what you mentioned, the FF is superior in every way. I think it would work out perfectly for you.

612 is also a highly underrated car and glad you were able to see how great it drives. You could find a perfect one for under budget, no doubt.

paulchua likes this.