Maserati Khamsin | Page 418 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    so Swain moved to Norway!

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    One design that Gandini did for Bertone a couple of years before the Khamsin served him as inspiration for the latter (along with the Urraco as he confirmed to me) is little know: the Citroen GS Camargue one off show car.

The back end which you can't see clearly on the page below but can be seen by googling is strikingly similar. They showed it at Chantilly Arts et Elegance in 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_GS_Camargue

FYI it came out in 1972 three years BEFORE Rolls Royce used the same model name.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    For the Khamsin's sake thank god he got most of that design out of his system. The rear is the obvious carry over and the front is quite reminiscent of a Plymouth Superbird.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    MK1044 likes this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very interesting and well written article, very different; through the years I have collected over 60 test drives from various countries and so many did not take the time to understand the car and learn to drive it properly but this one not only did but saw the light:)

Bob and Joe your design references are...surprising;-)!

Leaving for Le Mans Classic tomorrow early will be there mid afternoon until sunday afternoon, hope to see a couple of K's there, anyone coming? it's only Europe's biggest classic car event, nothing comes close: 8000 classics, 460 or so cars racing in the 6 classes by era, 1000 drivers racing including a number of famous ones, tons of things to see, shop, dance, including an auction, 120000 attending.

MK1044 likes this.
  7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That actually sounds like it might be more fun for an auto enthusiast than real race. I should have gone to the real one when I had an offer from someone in the early 2010s to set everything up for us including rooms and special tickets. I was a dope.

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It is much more fun than the modern LM 24 which I have not attended since 1996, I covered it for Cavallino 93-96.

Much prefer Le Mans Classic.

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Was that a custom for Jimmy Durante?

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    marc,
    My reference was for the nose of the Citroen and the 330 Zagato.

Nembo1777 and au-yt like this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ah yes, true.

12. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
    The Coils for CDI Ignitions are more "transformers" than an ignition coil. They have low resistance. You can try the MSD Blaster coil, I think this could work together with the Bosch CDI box. Or any other Coil for CDI Ignitions.
    Actually I am at the sea in Holland, also want to visit Spectaculo Sportivo Alfa Romeo in Zandvoort this weekend.
    When I am back at home, I can measure the resistance of the MSD Blaster Coil. Remind me, if I forget it.
    Achim

au-yt likes this.
  13. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Regarding the picture of two headers atop on another in https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148579144/, the shorter one is a stainless header from Quicksilver for an automatic Khamsin. The longer one is mild steel of unknown origin but was on 1228 when I bought it. Note that it's been modified to interface to an three bolt flat flange succeeding part.

BTW I have the automatic headers because that's what Quicksilver sent me when I ordered a complete exhaust system for a manual; Quicksilver refused to admit to the error despite ample photographic proof showing a ~1 ft gap between header and intermediate pipe. I advise you not to buy from Quicksilver for this and other reasons.

au-yt and Nembo1777 like this.
  14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That is beyond terrible service, a company to be avoided absolutely.

There were zero Khamsins at Le Mans Classic so am sulking while visiting Amboise and its castle in the Loire valley:)

FYI Le Mans Classic beat the previous attendance count of 120000 to...just over 200000! It was fantastic because after a four year gap so many had been missing the event a lot. 8600 classics in the club paddocks, 460 racing cars split in 6 groups by era from 1923 to 1980, each grid racing three times through 24 hours, some 300S, A6GCS etc, a Group C race and an endurance racing legends race with two MC12's.
    There were several dozen very nice classic Masers, great racing and great people the best event in the world, Monterey is blown away and this Le Mans Classic 4 day event is about passion not auctions money and "lifestyle", everybody watches the racing whereas in Monterey not 20% go to Laguna Seca for the races. I can't wait for next years special Le Mans Classic 1923-2023 centenary edition!

MK1044 likes this.
  15. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Lots of Indys in the Maserati club lot but I didn't see any Khamsins either. Perhaps they were just too busy driving around?
    Funny, I did the opposite and visited Amboise (and Chenonceau) before going to Le Mans.
    Otherwise, it was a fun event. I hadn't been before but it was a neat experience. Lots of cars I wouldn't otherwise have seen at Laguna Seca. BTW - I'll be in Monterey next month.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I never had the time to walk the entire club enclosure, sometimes cars park isolated away from their clubs, I found K's like that twice in past editions but I doubt there were any this year.

Amboise was wonderful after three fabulous, very intense days:) Not coming to Monterey, Arizona in September, October for articles yes.

awatkins likes this.
  17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had a different experience over the internet. I was pretty busy over the weekend doing some rather arduous cleanup and AV equipment installation so when I needed a break from my much complaining body I would turn the live coverage on but every time I did the three British gents were absolutely ghastly and nothing was really going on. I've seen racing rain delays that were more entertaining than that.
    The "highlight" was the Le Mans start for the kiddie cars which wasn't really a Le Mans start and looked a lot more like mildly organized chaos. So I lost patience with the coverage and decided any decent footage would be seen later on at my leisure. I'm pretty sure it's out there.

BTW this sad news greeted me this AM:
    https://www.msn.com/en-ie/cars/news/le-mans-podium-finisher-and-broadcaster-alain-de-cadenet-dies-aged-76/ar-AAZ906B

I always enjoyed his reportage.

It's a bit spooky because as I was organizing and testing my reassembled the aforementioned AV setup I came across his videos about Italian race cars. I'll have to go watch them again now. RIP :(

When I get some time I'll have to search out Le Mans videos as it sounds like you had a great time.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  18. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    I am delighted to report a Khamsin sighted out and about in the UK in Oxfordshire this morning! It was red and looked in nice condition. I think the registration started VLL……is it anyone on here? I did honk and wave but was driving solo so no chance of a picture sadly Marc.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  19. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Anyone know the weight of the 115 engine used in the Ghibli and Khamsin?

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Not off hand sorry.

21. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    It surely has to be not far away from
    The wet sump version unless you are into the last few Pounds difference…..

cheers.
    Mark.

22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Mark,
    Thanks, curious what is the vin on the Bora?

23. paulsantoni

paulsantoni Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    Glasgow; Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    paul santoni
    Hello from a stranger!
    My K has been off the road for a couple of years getting various bits and pieces of work done to it, more of which when I get it fully back on the road.

The current 8 month delay has been due to the wheels being refurbished. A very long delay, now made worse as they threw out the Pirelli P4000 tyres I had! By accident apparently although the owner is furious with the staff. i suspect it was not an accident. They have offered to buy whatever new tyres I want.

Sadly the P4000 are no longer available and the choice at 215/70/15 is effectively the P5 which was launched in 1977 and is pretty old or a couple of other ancient designs. .

These are the only tyre choices at V/W speed rating. Lots more at H.

My days of causing at 135mph are probably over in the older cars, so I don't actually have a problem using H rated tyres. I put Yokohama Geolanders on my Espada and am happy with the noise/handling/rain use. I live in Scotland , so driving in the rain is the norm!!

I checked and think 225 tyres present no clearance issue. I am not sure from previous threads if 235 do at the back? Going to 60 profile lowers the car a bit and wonder if there are clearance issues as the car sits low anyway??

There is pretty limited choice at 15 rims.

My thinking is either: 215/70; 225;65 or possibly 235/60. I know the differences in tyre size. I wonder if people have much experience with different tyres sizes on the K? I am inclined to the 225/65 H rated. I know that for authenticity etc one should use period tyres, but bluntly they are awful. XWX's are just woeful etc as would be Pirelli CN tyres.

Any input appreciated.

I discovered that the reason my car had been loosing a little coolant is that the the expansion tank had previously had a new neck welded which was a few mm longer hence the standard caps, left a small gap! that was after buying a £1200 custom made aluminium radiator with three fans..... Anyway more on cooling and temp when the car is running fully.