What cars symbolize Ferrari to you? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What cars symbolize Ferrari to you?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RossoCorsa22, Jun 24, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David246GT

David246GT Rookie

Mar 5, 2019
    Gulf coast of Florida
    Full Name:
    David
    Initially drawn to the marque by the 246GT (did not care for the GTS' styling, but I guess it would've been fun to drive on a crisp fall morning)
    Although the 250 LM above is just breathtakingly beautiful, I will concur with the few who have mentioned the 288 GTO

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Octonion, JOHNCJ8989, Dane and 3 others like this.
  2. manicotto

manicotto Rookie

Jun 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    RM
    Definitely 250LM and the 250GTO.

And the Dino 166 P. And the 166 MM. And the 312 PB. And the 250 TR. And 750 Monza. And the 375 MM. And the 250 SWB. Did I mention the P2, the P3 and P4 and the... Can I add all the F1 cars from the 125 and onward?

For me Ferrari is about racing. It's not about where the engines sits or how many jugs it has or how "valuable" it is. Enzo himself made no bones about that. Am I alone on the planet to care about that?

mclaudio and Tampaman44 like this.
  3. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    For me
    Villeneuve F1
    Testarossa
    288 GTO the pinnacle of road cars

Thomas Magnum and Dane like this.
  4. voncabbage

voncabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    new york
    Full Name:
    ira j.
    i cannot argue about the 275 (although the 250 SWB is right up there as well), but when it comes to the V8 cars, the 288 GTO is by far the most attractive

5. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    I care more about racing when it relates to a car I could potentially buy and drive on the road. So for instance, in the50s F1 or 60s LeMans winners were cars that could be driven on the road. Harder for me to get excited about something like a modern F1 or LeMans prototype cars that are over-regulated and far from production. They end up closer to Nascar in that regard. The lower classes of LeMans or modern rally cars seem more relatable to me. So historic Ferrari racing is relevant, but modern Ferraris are mostly limited to things like the lower classes of LeMans.

6. manicotto

manicotto Rookie

Jun 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    RM
    Interesting viewpoint. Would that include Challenge cars from 355 onward as well?

7. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    Challenge cars are cool, but single make racing comes down to driver skill vs. the pros and cons of the cars. (human struggle vs. engineering comparison) Which to me is less interesting (if I am not driving), but I may be in the minority. People love Nascar and that is mostly about driver vs. car now.

8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I certainly do not disagree- 288 GTO is amazing in every regard :cool:

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The proportions of the 308 are quite exotic, especially by today’s standards. I’d bet it would get a second or third look and onlookers would make the connection.

A lot of these cars were unmistakable in the ‘70s and ‘80s. Now, as a car enthusiast, I can’t tell the McLaren models apart, and the new Lotus Emira kind of resembles a late model Ferrari or McLaren/Corvette. I like the Roma/DB11 but again it’s not iconic, just nice.

Not just Ferrari. I’m not a fan of the C3 Corvette, but for more than a decade it symbolized Corvette, and looked like nothing else.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    This is probably heresy to say among cognoscenti, but to my eye the proportions of the 308 are more beautiful than the 288.

In the eyes of the uninformed, I am sure they look identical. I bet 288 owners get asked if their car is the Magnum P.I. car too.

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  11. Tampaman44

Tampaman44 Rookie

May 29, 2017
    The Ferrari virus infected me badly in 1962 at the Sebring 12 Hours. Thus, for me the P cars of the 60’s, up to and including the 312 P are the cars that exemplify everything Ferrari : beauty, performance , and the sound. The sound.

papou likes this.
  12. patwa98

patwa98 Rookie

Aug 8, 2015
    Adelaide South Australia
    Full Name:
    Waine
    330 p4
    F40
    250 GTO
    Nobrainer. Oneword.

13. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    If you restrict the choice to only one, I say the 275GTB/4 Long Nose. If I can add two more street cars, I'd choose a 250GTL (Lusso) and a 250 SWB.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

David246GT and papou like this.
  14. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    Daytona coupe. Preferably red.

15. Roger Johnson

Roger Johnson Rookie

Feb 23, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Roger Johnson
    In 1966 my father bought a white Lusso with a red interior. 9000rmp tach with no red line. What a gorgeous car. Having recently obtaining a drivers license I was very lucky as he allowed me to drive it half way home from Philadelphia to Chicago when he purchased it. More frequently when we would go for rides together.

Attached Files:

ross, LARRYH and plastique999 like this.
  16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Actually… I agree. The stretched wheelbase does the 288 no favors, but the collectibility and performance will always overshadow the 308s better proportions.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That must have been quite the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger Johnson likes this.
  18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The 550
    The car that I own that receives the most love on the road is my.
    246GT DINO
    The car my 35 yr old nephew most loves is the 599 GTO
    I am old and have to say any of the front engine V12s….

Gh21631 and rampante550 like this.
  19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  20. wfu97

wfu97 Karting

Jul 15, 2018
    North Carolina USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    For me, it's still the ones I grew up with (80s):
    308/328
    288 GTO
    Testarossa/512
    F40

miketuason likes this.
  21. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    My answer would be a bit different now that I know a lot more, but if I were answering just based on what jumped out to me during my more formative years from grade school to college, I would have to say the F40 and then the 430 (not really special in the scheme of things but which was just coming out around the time I really became aware of Ferrari's line-up). The F40 was always the "Wow" vehicle that was synonymous with Ferrari when I was young.

22. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    For me Ferraris have always been about beauty in motion for road cars
    As mentioned before the 275GTB/GTS peak design in the 60s and for the front engine 12s
    DaytonaSpider(Gumball Rally everyone?)
    Berlinetta Boxer(I never warmed to the cheese grater design of the Testarossa) for the mid engine 12s(LaFerrari excluded)
    For the 8s- 288 GTO- and Pista
    For the 6s- I do love the 296 but the Dino (a real Ferrari in everything but name) takes the crown
    When I was young a dreamed of having a red Ferrari. Now on my fourth and the closest I get to red is the stitching in the interior otherwise I am drawn to grey to Nero,

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You are more right than you can imagine.

DrewH likes this.
  24. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    I thought this was another echo-chamber comment for a second but just realized what you did there, lol

UroTrash likes this.