Taken Off Market - 1997 Ferrari 355 GTS - Gated. 5775 miles - 98% original | FerrariChat

Taken Off Market 1997 Ferrari 355 GTS - Gated. 5775 miles - 98% original

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by carnutdallas, Jul 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #1 carnutdallas, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2022
    Every so often a rare car, gemstone, artwork, or talent comes to the surface. Most of us can appreciate the finer things in life. The rarity of a fine, fine wine. The best of the best. Lots of individuals spend money to create that. They take an item and improve it, or “customize” it to their liking or standards. In the car world, it comes in all forms and fashions. For Ferrari, it is captured in its storied past, its mechanical music and the special cars that make us devotees.

Historically, some of the most beautiful cars came pre-war. Strolling Pebble Beach, those award winning works of art command stunning presence and represent a time when art and the automobile met. Enzo came along after the war and started building his art. His only goal was to win races and from that he created road going versions to fuel the revenue to keep making race cars. He survived the 70’s and created som stunning vehicles. Then came the 80’s and one car kept the company alive. And in 1987 the 40th Anniversary was celebrated with the F40, setting the stage for the modern Ferrari.

Quoting Ferrari 70 Years by Dennis Adler pg. 254 “The 355, introduced in 1994, improved upon the virtues of EVERY FERRARI BUILT over the previous half century. It was the first of the New Guard, the bold, the complete, the Ferrari for a generation of prancing horse devotees who had little in common with the wonderfully brutish cars of the past.”

At the time the most powerful Ferrari ever produced with an N.A. V8 engine. The most glorious of sounds. The best shifter. The right proportions and stance. It brought muscle and elegance in a package that has not been duplicated. Sure Ferrari has been known for V12’s and they are their own special class, but the 355 represents a moment in time that can only be enjoyed while sitting behind the wheel at full “song” of those prancing ponies. As a life long car guy, it is the absolute best!

Most of us have enjoyed a 355. We have experienced the highs of ownership - driving - and the lows - maintenance. We all have our opinions and ideological take on the 355 ownership experience. But in the end, we know that it is a special car and when you find an absolute Gem. A near perfect example. One that has been lightly enjoyed, yet ridiculous original. Touched by only it’s owners and care takers. Born by Ferrari and still 98 percent original Ferrari! That is something special. Museum like.

Yes, they should be driven, driven hard and enjoyed. The Challenge cars represent that magical moment where a swarm of 355’s raced together. Absolute bliss to participate in for those few that have experienced it. Most have been repaired, serviced and parts replaced that did not or could not survive. On the street, the miles added up. The choice to “customize,” personalize and improve makes finding an original car very difficult. Classiche is the standard by which Ferrari proves providence and maintains that original lineage. And today a car of that quality, originality and providence is available to those wanting the best, the rare and the magical. It will set the standard for those that desire what Ferrari created in the 355.

A documented 2 owner 1997 Ferrari 355 GTS 6-speed gated manual transmission in Rosso Corsa exterior and Nero interior. It is an original of a vehicle I have ever experienced in the 355 world. I have had the privilege of owning some special 355’s. Most in the 30k mile range. Those cars were not original - exhaust, manifolds, water pumps, etc, etc, etc. All of these “known” things that just “go wrong.” Well that is not my opinion or experience. Humans break things. Human error is our number one fault. Yes, all things mechanical can fail. We all have experienced a mechanical failure at some point in an item we have owned. The 355 is full of those stories, legends and mystic. This car represents the polar opposite of that. One tire change and 3 oil services are all that have been performed. Sold new by Ferrari of Atlanta, it went to LA with the new owner and then he drove it north to his Montecito home, where it lived until 2004, having one oil service at 2564 miles. Being lightly driven by a producer and marketing executive in the entertainment industry. In 2004 the second owner bought the car as a person to person transaction and drove it to his northern Nevada home. He enjoyed it for a brief moment and then basically parked it. He had one oil service done in the 4K mile range by a small European service center. He drove the car every year for it annual inspection for emissions where it passed. The CARFAX report bares that history. The second owner performed a 3rd oil service on his own, taking great pains and time to do it right. Following the WSM. He replaced the battery every 5 years. He installed a new set of tires in 2011, I believe. Will confirm date codes.

It has barely suffered any “stickies.” Was stored at altitude and mild climate with hardly any sun exposure. The center stack and switches were the worst and have all been cleaned and or replaced with Ferrari parts. The seats are practically flawless and 99.1 as new for bolster wear. The AC is still ICE COLD. He always started the car and brought it to temperature and turned the compressor on. Since no one has broken system apart or taxed it in hot climates, it is as new. I have all the factory original books, tools, inflator, keys, fobs, pin code, car cover, seat covers, steering wheel cover and the targa top cover and bag. Every item is accounted for. Known changes are upgraded floor mats - I know where originals are and needed for Classiche. Sony radio was upgraded to period correct single disc, but I have the original Ferrari Sony Tape deck and changer. I prefer not to put changer in - it has factory pre-wire, but not worth it. Tape deck is useless so I have left single disc Sony in for now with great 90’s mix CD.

The only flaws are a chip in the painted roof panel - not sure if dealer did it or factory? And some rock chips on front bumper - all have been touched up. The car has never been buffed or “color” corrected. Paint his original. He waxed it as recommended in the owners manual, but no other work done. I have paint metered the car and I am confident in its originality. I did see an area of concern on drivers side upper quarter, but these cars were damaged in shipping quite often and they we “corrected” at the factory as well. It is just too consistent front to back and side to side, save for one area. I own a collision center and know paint, so I share what I know and have found. I refuse to do any buffing, correcting or waxing. It has nothing done to it other than Ferrari Glassurite paint.

It has not had the recall done. It has not been driven enough to consider it and was no where near a Ferrari Dealer the last 20 years. It literally is as original as a Ferrari 355 can get. It just knocks you down in its awesome presence.

To be driven and enjoyed, A belt service is probably recommended. I just won’t do it. I don’t need to drive it, as I have a 35k mile gated Spider. I have driven this car about 800 feet. I have never experienced an original clutch and feel. Amazing! The only item not working is the mirror switch, pretty common and I think I can fix it - clean switch, super common. It needs to go to the center of a great collection and cherished. It is that rare Gemstone, fine wine, artwork, etc. and represents the VIRTUES OF EVERY FERRARI BUILT. The best of the best. Unmolested, untouched and as delivered by Maranello in 1997 to these shores.

$390,000
    5775 miles
    Rosso Corsa / Nero
    Gated Manual
    GTS - lowest production 355’s

Welcome personal inspections. Not leaving my garage. Lots of cars to buy to be driven. This is to be cherished, protected, and placed above all others. Cheers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    The museum piece is beautiful and I hope this sells bringing up the whole F355 market by about 3x!

Noel, mx1, ShineKen and 1 other person like this.
  3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  4. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That’s funny. Thanks for the levity. Cubes is the perfect meme.

Ryan S. and 19633500GT like this.
  5. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    still a bargain...

ShineKen and carnutdallas like this.
  6. Closingtime

Closingtime Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 1, 2020
    Gorgeous car. Collectors recognize the value in GTSes and this car looks to be a time capsule.

Yellow Compass and carnutdallas like this.
  7. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    I always felt that the 355 GTS would follow the same flight path $$ as the DINO :)

8. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Mamamiaaaaa $500,000 that would be great news if it sells anywhere near that.

iMrMark, Closingtime and carnutdallas like this.
  9. robertcope

robertcope Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Robert B. Cope
  10. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Triple the miles plus and car is as original as new as I have seen. Who knows? In no hurry.

11. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #11 ginoBBi512, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    Congrats !! We have hit a new record !!! I will pick whats behind door number 2, Oh yay, its an F8, Ill take that if you dont mind, good grief .

Thank you

12. C'dwic

C'dwic Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2021
    France
    Oengus, technom3, 375+ and 4 others like this.
  13. C'dwic

C'dwic Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2021
    France
    For the text you wrote, i give you 11/10 with congratulations !

carnutdallas likes this.
  14. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    I got dizzy reading the ad.

15. barkleyweber

barkleyweber Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2022
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Jon weber
    #15 barkleyweber, Jul 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Wsmatau, jenniferj521, Sev and 5 others like this.
  16. TheFerrariDude

TheFerrariDude Karting

Mar 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dani Dumi
    $500k? lol!! Grab a Pista instead

dinogt4guy, 355dreamer, Sev and 7 others like this.
  17. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    That car will stay in his garage, I really dont think anyone looking for a Ferrari is that dumb . Its got low mileage because once it gets driven, its going to fall apart , we all know what that means.

Thank you

Sev, Chrisnlbc, KevinW and 9 others like this.
  18. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #18 carnutdallas, Jul 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Not gated. Faster yes. Newer of course. But don’t buy a Dino, an F40 or plenty of others that cost way more than a Pista, but not as fast or Modern. A Pista is a fabulous car well suited for track days. But no silver ball in center console area.

Not sure you understand a low mileage example of a special car? But not muddying up my for sale ad with an opinion argument. Thank you for sharing. Noted. Cheers!

mclaudio, audi_328 and ShineKen like this.
  19. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thank you for sharing. Not going down in value. Not going up in miles. Garage is climate controlled currently at 72 degrees. Car is as new as 25 year old car can be. Way more comfortable and usable than a 512BBi. Great AC in 355’s.

I am not the only asking this kind of money on special cars. But I understand your opinion. This is not the car for you. At 6’4” I find the 512BBi to tight for me. Italians are generally small dudes. But the 355 is a great, great car. Plenty of nice cars for sale, just not like this one.

Driving the Spider today. Cheers! Happy 4th to all!

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Nice! Black on black is pretty rare oddly enough. MY?

carnutdallas likes this.
  22. barkleyweber

barkleyweber Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2022
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Jon weber

ShineKen likes this.
  23. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I probably have to go to BaT. I really don’t want to. I have sold twice on there and it was a terrible experience. Terrible. I have bought on there 5 times and it has worked out well once. So I feel a little burned.

I want a Ferrari Devotee’ wanting a special car to have this. Pinnacle 355 in my opinion. I could be wrong and I am willing to discuss. Cheers!

24. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    What happened with the experience from the sales

25. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    BaT staff is extremely rude and condescending. They write terrible dialogue with errors and ignore what you send them. They determine reserve. If you don’t like it you can go no reserve. Otherwise we have so many people using us, your business lost or made is no big deal to them.

Sales have no oversight. Buyer and seller connect after sale to close. Most cars I have experienced seriously misrepresented. Out right lies. I have had one good experience. They sell 100’s of cars per month, so they must have enough happy people. There is a thread on Fchat about unhappy experiences, as well. I am not the only one.

I prefer person to person transactions and phone calls. Everyone hides behind the terminal and is snarky about things they generally know nothing about, too smart for their own good or jealous they don’t have what is being sold, did not find it or spend the time energy and effort to acquire it.

I believe in setting the high bar on everything I do. I am not that great at all task and fail more often than not, but I keep on trying. I try to treat people better than my own family and work hard for trust and honor. That does not play out well on most internet transactions today. But I keep putting myself and my cars out there. I think most people who interact with me, and who work with me at pretty happy. BaT does not generate that same sentiment in my mind. Cheers!

mathewr likes this.