Proactive installation of metal dash vents? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Proactive installation of metal dash vents?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bob in Makiki, May 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Pull out the windshield? You still have to pull out the dash to install the Rizzo metal vents!

2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Ok, well I have the Rizzo vents...havent installed them but when my windshield was replaced, the installer noticed the vents all crooked and asked if I'd like them glued back. After doing so, they are still in place 3 yrs later. I was hoping I didn't have to pull the dash to install. Why? because of the mounting screws yes?

3. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Mounting screws yes.

4. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Well and leather. Remember, these typically break because your leather shrunk, so you're going to have to address the leather at the same time you replace the vents. And yes unless you're getting some Sheetrock Wall anchor type screws, you're going to need to be able to put a nut on the other side of those bolts.

5. mb5

mb5 Karting

Nov 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Sharing my happy update, Leatherique solved 90% of my issue, and the Rizzo vents 9% more.

You can see the before photos earlier in the thread.

My process was to apply Leatherique rejuvenator and let it sit in my living room for almost a week. Not much change or additional suppleness. Then I applied some more, wrapped it in some plastic painters sheet, then in a blanket to protect it from direct sun, and stuck it inside my (other) hot car.

That evening I brought it inside and voila, bubble gone.

I then mounted the Rizzo vents (also required a tad of dremeling out the screw holes to allow it to fit), which tugged the leather down even more, esp next to the temperature sensor.

I included a photo where you can see that there’s a tiny gap adjacent to the vents where the leather has pulled away…but whatever, I’m ecstatic with the outcome, and not having to drop $3k to redo it from scratch!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Rizzo advised to coat the screw heads with flat black paint as they tend to rust after assembly. Id do that before re-installation.

7. mb5

mb5 Karting

Nov 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Oh I’d missed that, thanks. I wonder if it makes sense to replace all the hardware with stainless (and paint it black)? I’m not familiar with how stainless would interact with the aluminum…

8. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    #33 rizzo308, Jun 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    Wow!! nice job Matt.
    Vents in my car 7 yrs now and noticed early this year surface rust on the bolts. I dabbed a wee bit of WD-40 them with cotton bud. Best i can do.
    Cheers

mb5 and clean512 like this.
  9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    These vents look like a good idea. To prevent rust use black stainless fittings.

Personally I wouldn't want to remove the dash to fit them, instead I'd look at using plastic bosses in the dashboard, or an expansion fitting (sample image below) - there are many types available.

[​IMG]

10. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Very little room under the dash. I had to grind the screw flush with the nut to allow the dash to fit properly.
    McMaster Carr has a blind nut for use on composites and soft materials made of stainless and plastic that looks like it might work. But, there is little to no room to install anything with the dash in the car. I see no way to install the vents without pulling out the dash.

11. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Could they be glued in with black E6000 and "fake" screw heads that are adhered prior to placing down?

12. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Those will not expand enough to fit tightly into the defroster openings in the dash. I had to use a large area washer under the dash. I used stainless everything, with stainless stop nuts.

Also, you won’t be able to get those in, with the windshield in place.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    No. The leather is shrinking back away from the front of the dash so it will just carry the Rizzo(or OEM plastic) vent with it. The point of the billet vent and retaining bolts is to hold down the leather to prevent, or minimize, the pulling back of the leather.

14. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Minimal to no reaction stainless on aluminum in a non marine environment. I simply painted the screws included with the vents black as suggested, Do it before re installation of the dash as you wont be able to access the screw heads after installation without making a mess of things.

mb5 likes this.
  15. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Before you reinstall the dash I would try to camouflage the yellow showing through the leather between the vent edges. I am afraid that with in time and sun exposure, that gap will once again enlarge and become the focal point of the problem you are trying to correct and prevent . I had a new leather panel wrapped around on the inside of the fiberboard openings before attaching the vents. Maybe you could remove the vents, and put some thin sheets of leather under your vents and under the lip of the native hems on the OEM leather to cover up that yellow gap. I'm just afraid that will prevail and it become a focal point once again. I know you have reduced them but they'll possibly enlarge and become much more visible in the long run, defeating you hard work and effort. Just a suggestion, FWIW.​

mb5 likes this.
  16. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    That's a good idea. I had originally painted the dash pod portion where the leather had pulled back. Makes it less notable. I had a local shop re-cover it later.

Snapshift likes this.
  17. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There are many options available - the image I posted was just to help illustrate the type of fitting; some have a max spread of nearly 1.5". I'm confident that I can do it without removing the dash. I'll post photos when I get around to it.

Extreme1 likes this.
  18. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    In my case, there was very little room under the forward edge of the dash so whatever you use must not be very "deep". And, there is virtually no room between the windshield and forward edge of the dash to do anything. Please take pictures of what you do.

mwstewart likes this.
  19. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

This was my impression as well. And I looked very very closely as I was searching for any way possible to avoid having to remove the dash of the windshield. I just don’t know how you could work in that confined space and still get a toggle or similar fastener into an appropriate position.